• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW109: The Araragi Institute! A New Journey!!

Haven't seen the episode, but what Ash mention about Kanto...did he simply just state he was going back?

Wait...you're telling me that there is no other premise to this saga, and TP is literally all they have? Oh dear gosh, how are they going to explain this? Anyway, standard rehash of getting the starter. TR is giving me mixed feelings. They just shoehorned the classic elements on top of the BW personalities, which doesn't mix at all. Wait a minute, they actually defeated Pikachu? On one hand, I don't think that should be possible, on the other, another achievement for TR this saga. All this fuss over a standard capture the pokemon plot. Blasting off is back, but it doesn't feel the same. This entire thing just doesn't feel right. Not a good first impression. We're really here for TP regardless. To be continued...

Interesting that TR went back to their Kanto motto, almost a sense of closure there.

Seems like TR are the way they were in early BW between the 3rd and 4th Gyms.

Masurao said:
Haven't seen the episode, but what Ash mention about Kanto...did he simply just state he was going back?

Satoshi planning to go back to Kanto was mentioned in the summary that was up on the TV-Tokyo website, but I don't remember if he actually brought it up in the episode itself or not. If he did, though, it would just be to say that he planned to go back.

I kind of liked the scene where Dent and Iris were both like "yeah...neither one of us have really achieved our goals, have we? Let's keep hanging around Satoshi for just a little longer."

Was it explained why Ash and co. are so eager to see Reshiram? Ash has never gone out of his way to find a legendary Pokémon. Why he would suddenly be so interested in one to the point of dropping his plans to return to Kanto and find a new battle-oriented goal? It is not as if they're already aware of Team Plasma's intentions.

I second this, why would Ash stay in Unova when he can return to Kanto? Was it to explore the White Hero's ruins and or Reshiram? I wonder if this was all thouroughly explained during the episode?

Ash seemed kind of ashamed to tell Oak that he finished in the best 8, I liked that. On the other hand, why are the battles in the anime turn-based now? What happened to dodging and using strategy?

Ash seemed kind of ashamed to tell Oak that he finished in the best 8, I liked that. On the other hand, why are the battles in the anime turn-based now? What happened to dodging and using strategy?
Because they're helping a beginning trainer so stupid she thinks Pokabu can use Thunderbolt. They're not going to use strategy.

My guess is that the fact that TR used their Kanto motto with their mixed Sinnoh theme doesn't mean that from now on we're back to the first motto. I think that they will go through the other mottos randomly (kind of what happened during the Radio Show, though there was a logic in the version of the motto, I wonder if the same will happen in the anime). I'd just like to have different kinds of animation.

Because they're helping a beginning trainer so stupid she thinks Pokabu can use Thunderbolt. They're not going to use strategy.

It wasn't any different when Ash fought Tr either. Ash rarely commands his Pokemon to even dodge nowadays, let alone use unique strategies.

It wasn't any different when Ash fought Tr either. Ash rarely commands his Pokemon to even dodge nowadays, let alone use unique strategies.
Oh, yeah, unique strategies he doesn't use anymore, which sucks, but today's battle was clearly meant to help Nonomi. I don't think the way he battled TR was too different from the usual one (by BW standards, that is), though.

I kind of liked the scene where Dent and Iris were both like "yeah...neither one of us have really achieved our goals, have we? Let's keep hanging around Satoshi for just a little longer."

Lol, thanks. Yeah I did find it somewhat amsuing that they were like, we're just going to stick around you even though you don't know what you're gonna do at all.

But, yeah saw the episode...the CoTD was cute, but dear god they went a bit over the top with her nervousness.

TR didn't seem any better or worse, so I was kinda indifferent on them. Unfezant was nice, but beating TR never meant much to me anyway.

Last edited:
This is my episode review. Feel free to read it.

Other than the debuts of TRio's newest pokemon, and small pieces of dialogue that will guide the plotline for the next few episodes, this felt like your typical post-league episode. Most of it was filler. We'll probably never see Nonomi or her Tepig ever again. I'll probably never even remember Nonomi outside of her panic attacks and comedic lack of intuition. If Nonomi is worried that she will be crushed and strangled if she picks Snivy as her starter, and that pokemon evolves, I can't imagine what her reaction will be once that Tepig of hers evolves into an Emboar.

There were very few "great" aspects of this episode in particular, but I did like the movesets that the writers gave to Jessie and James' newest pokemon. The writers gave Jessie's Frillish an egg move and two egg moves to James' Amoonguss, which really does make you wonder if the writers even care how those pokemon can learn those moves in the games. Jessie's Frillish also knew Psychic, which was both a blessing and a curse, because I felt that this was a move that her Woobat (which is already part-Psychic) should have known from its debut. But an offensive Psychic-type move is something that is very new to TRio's arsenal. James' Amoonguss also knew Hidden Power, which is a refreshing change of pace from the offensive Grass-type moves that his pokemon knew in the past.

The tag battle was actually interesting to watch. Cilan's Stunfisk doesn't make too many appearances in the anime, let alone battling appearances, so it was nice to see that it was used. It was a brilliant play on Cilan's part to use Stunfisk; not only is its moves super-effective against Pikachu and Tepig, but as a part Ground-type it is immune to both Pikachu and Emolga's electric-type attacks. Discharge from Emolga wouldn't hurt it. And you can't say no to Stunfisk's laughing face when it is shown absorbing electricity.

Now for the "negative" aspects of this episode. I'm a little bit disappointed that the animators reused the footage from the first BW episode when Juniper sent out all of the starters. Talk about lazy. We also never got to see the end of the tag battle.

And finally the "other." The writers seem to be alternating between Sludge Bomb and Mud Bomb as Cilan's Stunfisk's fourth move over the episodes.

Overall, this episode played out as expected. This episode should be rated as average for all that it is worth.

So, finally Episode N starts! Even though I really didn't have much expectations for this particular episode, thinking that it'd be just like Dawn's awful special, it actually proved to be really enjoyable.

I know I might belong to the minority, but I liked Nonomi. Her paranoia was really amusing, and those scenarios she made out were kinda funny, especially with the Serperior coiling around. xP

I knew the battle would be short, but it was fun seeing Dento and Iris team up, that's something I've been looking forward to ever since the group formed. Besides, they were pretty clever with the duo of Emolga and Stunfisk, with Emolga's Discharge damaging both Pikachu and Tepig while Stunfisk wasn't affected by it. Personally I also didn't mind the fact that they used stock footage for Tepig, but I've never really been that bothered by stock footage, so.

Oh, and I'm so glad that TR haven't returned to being goofy. I know for sure that I wouldn't have been able to stand them if they did, so seeing them still being kinda badass is a huge relief on my part. However, I still hope that we won't see them appearing in each and every episode again, because that I can really be without. Having them appear during imporant arcs (like the whole Team Plasma arc), and in regular episodes once in a while though I'm perfectly fine with.

Amoonguss and Frillish were both quite cool and proved to be formidable battlers, and the battle they had with the gang wasn't all that bad. Not to mention that Unfezant got some focus in that battle, managing to defeat the both of them at the end. Though I've never considered it to be an accomplishment when beating TR's Pokémon, it was still nice that Unfezant was the one who got to defeat the both of them.

Overall, a perfectly fine episode. Not amazing, not all that great, but perfectly fine and very enjoyable - it was much better than I thought it would be. This was pretty much the start for the real epicness, and I'm really looking forward to that. :>

What happened to Dent and Iris? They simply disappeared during TR's attack.

They didn't feel Team Rocket was a threat so they went back for a cup of teaXD Na just kidding, it was like the writers thought no one would notice they were gone HA.

I didn't really mind the episode, I liked how Ash acted all mentor like and him being a bit ashamed to tell Oak that he got in the top 8 again, hurray for the writers trying some what.

I wish they'd make up there minds on Team Rocket, they weren't funny yet they still got in the middle of a fight?? Its annoying, thats what it is. I did like seeing Muk again though and Oak, wonder how Ash is going to make it home again?

I couldn't translate the conversation with Okido-Hakase, but I imagine it went like this:

Okido: Ah, Satoshi-kun! How are you, my boy? I've been waiting for you to call me for a while... ever since you hung up on me in Raimon. Have you collected all your badges yet?
Satoshi: Erm, Hakase. I already have all the badges, see...
Okido: Oh wonderful! Well, you'll be happy to know that this time both myself and your mother will be able to see you in the League personally. Kenji will be coming as well, he's never seen a league before. He's so excited!
Satoshi: The thing is...
Okido: I felt so guilty for not coming to the Suzuran Conference, I promised myself I'd make it this time. Seeing you compete will certainly be a highlight.
Satoshi: The league's over.
Okido: ...
Satoshi: I'm really sorry Hakase. Just you kept not coming, I didn't think you were that interested.
Okido: ...well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You don't need me looking over your shoulder. How did you do, by the way? Did you win? Or make it to the final?
Satoshi: (hesitates) Top Eight.
Okido: Top Eight? But you reached the semi-finals last time. Top Four. I thought you'd at least make it that far.
Satoshi: I haven't had much time to train. I was always helping Iris train her Pokemon or teach other trainers a lesson.
Okido: Well, I'm sure you did fine. The guy who beats you would have to be extremely intelligent.
Satoshi: Yeah, sure. Whatever.
Okido: At least you can always rely on me to watch over your Pokemon!
Satoshi: Right!
Okido: I can't wait for you to catch some more that you can send to me! I'm looking forward to seeing Isshu Pokemon up-close. How many do you have now? Five? Six?
Satoshi: Ten.
Okido: Ten? But how can you carry ten at the same time?
Satoshi: I've started sending my reserves to Dr. Araragi. It just made more sense... for some reason.
Okido: I... I understand.
Satoshi: Hakase, are you crying?

(Line goes dead)

I really liked this episode. Nonomi was hilarious, and Maggyo's typing playing a role in the battle was cool. Is it me, or do the TRio look better than usual?

The only problems I had with the episode are the TRio just sort of being defeated a little anticlimactically, and their ugly machine thing.

I thought this episode was pretty entertaining for a set-up episode. It wasn't anything amazing but I still enjoyed it for what it was worth and it had quite a few factors that really made it entertaining despite the overall plot being nothing to write home about. Yeah, the episode was pretty engrossing from start to finish.

I'm glad the majority of the episode didn't focus solely on Nonomi picking out her first Pokemon, that small problem was resolved fairly quickly. I also thought Nonomi herself managed to be pretty entertaining for a one-shot COTD, unlike Shinko, the girl from the Hikari Special. Her Pokabu was cute and she got a nice character building moment when she mustered up the courage to try to take on Pururiru, despite being unsuccessful. Her fantasies with the idea of using different Starters were amusing. No surprise she picked Pokabu, Satoshi has the other two under his ownership. Chances are slim, but I wonder if we'll see or hear from her again? The Tag Battle was not-surprisingly short but was pretty fun to watch, nice to see Emonga and Maggyo since the Electric-types get the least screen time on their respective teams.

Team Rocket's intro looked pretty luxurious and expensive, the drawing was beautiful. I don't have an opinion at all on their older motto being used, I honestly prefer their normal "Shiroi, Kuroi." motto. Pretty amusing Dare Da?! we got there. Rocket-Dan Forever playing during the entrance of their new Pokemon was cool. Both had pretty nice movesets, Psychic, Bubblebeam, and Shadow Ball for Pururiru especially. I can't believe it took that long for Satoshi to snap to his senses and use Kenharou Gust to fan away that Stun Spore/Mist mix. I kept wondering why no one else seemed to be impacted heavily by it, Maggyo and Emonga were doused by just as much as Pikachu and were knocked out cold. Always nice to see a reserve get some screen time, it's more than obvious TR had Kenharou and Pikachu aced but the plot of the episode demanded they lose so lose they did. Though being One-Hit KOed by Aerial Ace and Air Cutter kinda sucked and made the resolution feel a bit rushed.

Yeah, it was an entertaining enough episode. That appearance by Araragi-Hakase was icing, that guy certainly is a fun, old one. Lastly appearance by N at the ending was expected but I still thought it looked pretty epic. Solid episode.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom