• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW110: A Friend...His Name is N!

Does anyone know N's age. Dogasu calls him boy in the summary, but he looks older.

He's referred to as a boy in the game as well, not that being called a boy really is a huge indicator of age. Most likely around 17 if I had to guess.

This saga is off to a slow start.

He's referred to as a boy in the game as well,
When was he referred to as a boy? Ghetsis called him a good-for-nothing boy, but he was mocking him. I think that N was at least 18 in Black and White, making him at least 20 in the sequels.

He isn't much taller than Cilan, so he could be 16 or 17. Oh, and what was with that pose he did as he ran to block shadow ball? Dramatic much?

When was he referred to as a boy? Ghetsis called him a good-for-nothing boy, but he was mocking him. I think that N was at least 18 in Black and White, making him at least 20 in the sequels.
Could have sworn Alder called him a boy during the speech being given at Opelucid City by Ghetsis.

He isn't much taller than Cilan, so he could be 16 or 17.
N is clearly as tall as most adults characters on the show, if not taller. We know from Game Freak's documents that his height is supposed to be 1.80m (5'11"), and he didn't seem to have grown in the two years between the games.

Cilan himself is rather tall, which makes sense since some 15 year old teenagers are close to their final height.

Gotpika said:
Could have sworn Alder called him a boy during the speech being given at Opelucid City by Ghetsis.
He called him a trainer.

Looking at the screencaps and I don't know if I'm looking at this right but does N's right arm look a little...broken to anyone else?
2j4ak5i.jpg

Instead it just comes off as trying to fill in time in an episode by using the same recycled plot.

I really didn't mind the plot of Team Rocket trying to steal Pikachu again in this episode, and I can't see how it was used to just "fill in time". This attempt actually helped advance the story in some way. Team Rocket were shown to be merciless thieves that would harm Pokemon and their Trainers to N, which then established his thoughts on people who steal Pokemon. In the attack, we saw how dedicated N was to help. This established his character more, were we see how he'd take attacks from Pokemon to save others. James's Amoonguss making Pikachu sick then led to N calling the Alomomola, showing how much he was a friend to Pokemon and how he can call them. N's help to Ash, Iris and Cilan made them be closer, with both Ash and N starting to respect each other more despite using Pokemon differently. Basically, if Team Rocket weren't in this episode, N's introductory episode wouldn't be a good one. Sure, they could have done it with some different plot with somebody else, but then there's no harm in fleshing Team Rocket's new Pokemon out. I think they're pretty cool and have a good set of moves of attacks that are cool to see. They can also try to capture Pikachu and get information on Team Plasma at the same time too.

Ok, I may be willing to take it back. TR is genuinely beginning to impress me. Anyway, N turned out to not be what I was expecting, which thank goodness, because we didn't need that kind of conflict. Oh no. You can't dare bring up BW001 again and not expect you to do something with that. So N can summon wild pokemon to help him. Interesting. Ok, you have my attention. Do not disappoint me.

DP96_zpsb74118b8.jpg

Dat face. /shot

Haven't watched the episode yet because I can't find any good subs, but from what I've seen from the screenshots on Serebii, the animation gets a bit... Off-model at a lot of points.

Team Rocket's personalities are still serious though, despite blasting off.

I don't think the writers are aware of what to do with them.

He isn't much taller than Cilan, so he could be 16 or 17.
N is clearly as tall as most adults characters on the show, if not taller. We know from Game Freak's documents that his height is supposed to be 1.80m (5'11"), and he didn't seem to have grown in the two years between the games.

Cilan himself is rather tall, which makes sense since some 15 year old teenagers are close to their final height.

The height of adults in this show varies. Based on height charts I've seen, the Rockets are about 6'4", and Sakaki is 7'4". Lt. Surge must have been 9 feet tall.

I see the writers gave Pigg an early birthday present. :D

I have to admit, this episode was pretty good. I was worried for the longest time the writers were going to warp N into some kind of constantly happy and confident type like they normally do to every major older character. They managed to keep him pretty true to his personality, this gives me a little more hope for this arc to be good. His ability to call upon the Amolononolonolmonolonolonmolon- *smacks his head* Alomomola was a neat trick I would expect from him.

Team Rocket's plan was a bit surprising, it seemed to relay on them knowing how Axew is easily distracted and how Pikachu would follow after him. An odd bit of genre-savvyness on their part. I do hope they get a little more spotlight later on in the arc to show some more quirkiness and personality. I can understand they didn't have much time to work with it in this episode, but I would had liked to see a few exaggerated eye pops or Meowth slashing up his comrades ay some point. I also noticed they were only trying to steal Pikachu and didn't bother trying to take Axew. Kinda makes me wonder if they have something in mind for Pikachu, maybe relating to the Thundurous incident.

Good to see Unfezant is getting well acquainted with her new rival Mr. Meowth Balloon esq, least she's getting some usage. It was nice to see Boldore doing some battling, and I also liked seeing Axew help solve the problem he technically caused.

Oop, another episode ending at sunset. *takes a shot of Jack Daniels*

TR is still missing something important. Can anyone HONESTLY see *this* James owning a Mime Jr.?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom