• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW110: A Friend...His Name is N!

It was more or less the same as what's said in the games, IIRC.

And at the end of the episode, when N's talking to himself, he talks about how Satoshi meeting Zekrom wasn't just some chance encounter and that something big will happen as a result.

It was more or less the same as what's said in the games, IIRC.

And at the end of the episode, when N's talking to himself, he talks about how Satoshi meeting Zekrom wasn't just some chance encounter and that something big will happen as a result.

Marriage.

It just dawned on me. I think this is either the first or one the first times Team Rocket has ever commanded/had their Pokemon directly attack Ash.

Maybe Zekrom gave Pikachu the power to save Reshiram from Ghetsis' grasp.

Two things worth noting (TR related):
- We heard a new part of the remixed Sinnoh motto theme (based on a part of the extension of the original one) for the first time (if I recall correctly)
- Though I have no idea of what they were saying, that scene with N talking to them (leaving Meowth kind of upset) was pretty "old Team Rocket"ish, with Meowth arguing and Jessie with a confused expression.

I went in to this episode thinking/hoping that N would act like an awkward manchild and I was not disappointed

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I'm going to keep up with this arc, hopefully.

As for Team Rocket, I think they're easing them back to include a bit of their old ways. I still want to hear them say, Ya na kanji!
As if the Meowth balloon wasn't a huge tipoff, now there's a huge red R on the basket. Oy.

As for Team Rocket, I think they're easing them back to include a bit of their old ways. I still want to hear them say, Ya na kanji!
As if the Meowth balloon wasn't a huge tipoff, now there's a huge red R on the basket. Oy.

But they aren't. Team Rocket's personalities are still mostly serious, and they didn't bring Wobufett back.

The writers had TR act like the used to during those Oak lecture segments and in the Radio show, what we're seeing in the anime is absolutely nothing like that.

Really nice introducing episode for N. He's pretty interesting character, like in the games. Maybe little creepy with all that weird stuff he does, but interesting.

I can't say that I'm enjoying Rocket-dan's appearing every episode now, but the battle between them and Satoshi-tachi was really cool. Kenhallow was really epic there, and previous little sparring battle of Gantle and Doryuzu was enjoyable as well.
Overall, I liked this episode.

I am quite dissapointed by this episode.

The way they introduced N was mediocre, the dialogue didn't tell anything new at all (the same non-battling-pokemon-friends thing all over again).
Maybe I wasn't able to understand some parts in Japanese, but I still think they really didn't do anything special.

Boldore vs Excadrill was copied from the Clay battle... Out of all of Ash/Iris ' Pokemon, did they have to pick those ones?
The ep got a bit better when TR appeared. Unfezant starts getting a bigger role and will finally become the regional bird.

Still, the ep wasn't that decent at all...

The way they introduced N was mediocre, the dialogue didn't tell anything new at all (the same non-battling-pokemon-friends thing all over again).
Well, the debut had to establish his core concepts so future episodes can delve into his character more.

Boldore vs Excadrill was copied from the Clay battle... Out of all of Ash/Iris ' Pokemon, did they have to pick those ones?
IIRC, Excadrill was called first. Probably because Emolga and Dragonite were used recently. Boldore doesn't get many on-screen battles, and it did beat Clay's Excadrill, so it seems like a logical choice.

Probably because Emolga and Dragonite were used recently.

Dragonite's last appearance was the Drayden battle, and guess what, Excadrill was used in that episode for the last time as well.
Plus, Iris sending an obeying Dragonite against Ash , in order to get revenge for the Junior Cup would be far more fitting.

Dragonite's last appearance was the Drayden battle, and guess what, Excadrill was used in that episode for the last time as well.
Plus, Iris sending an obeying Dragonite against Ash , in order to get revenge for the Junior Cup would be far more fitting.

That was indeed both Dragonite and Excadrill's latest battle, but before that, when was Excadrill last used? Wasn't it against Montgomery and his Throh? Dragonite, on the other hand, had received plenty of focus in the episode before the battle, in the TR arc, and in the Junior Cup. Not to mention that Dragonite also was the one who was the star in the battle against Drayden.

Revenge? In a battle that's meant only for training purposes, and against a close friend at that?

Funny now that TR has a blimp Unfezant is getting more screen-time. In a way, I kinda feel sorry for her.

This episode was... a good start-up for N's character, at least. I didn't think it was spectacular, in and of itself, somehow, but I do look forward to more of N's story-arc now.

I liked how the group waved goodbye to N in perfect unison at the end - and I don't know why.

Funny now that TR has a blimp Unfezant is getting more screen-time. In a way, I kinda feel sorry for her.

To be fair, even if she was just filling out the standard flying type role, I thought Unfezant was pretty fucking rad the past two episodes.

I LAUGHED SO HARD I WOKE UP MY ROOMATES

THIS IS THE BEST EPISODE I'VE SEEN IN A WHILE

I'M OBVIOUSLY BIASED.

BUT MY FAVORITE PART

WAS WHEN N DiD THAT POSE

HIS SOLAR BEAM CHARGING POSE IDK

AND HE CALLED HIS POKEMON FRIENDS TO HEAL PIKACHu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND

MY SECOND FAVORITE PART

WAS WHEN N

WENT ON HIS RANT ABOUT POKEMON BEING UR FRIENDS/BATTLES BEING BAD OR WHATEVER AND HE GETS INTENSE

AND EVERYONE IS LOOKING AT HIM LIKE HE'S LOST HIS MIND

I LOST IT

GOODBYE FRIENDS

did anyone else think that the sunset scene was REALLY EXCESSIVE???? I felt like they were star crossed lovers parting ways for a long journey ahead~ But wow N is REALLY fixated on ash like he's all "why u met zekrom......like i met reshiram.......destiny...." AND ASH REALIZED THAT N WAS ANNOYED AT POKEMON BATTLES AND HE SEEMED ALMOST APOLOGETIC FOR IT???? AND N'S ALL....."i dont hate you....."........... a single tear falls down my cheek

It's...Goodbye World...not Goodbye Friends.
:0

-N walks up to P2 lab
-Oh Episode N opening, almost forgot we got a new cool remixed opening.
-Typical Isshu day for Satoshi-tachi
-Dento with his Town Map
-N sticks out so much
-Just looking up and smiling
-TR appear, they look like normal people in those disguises.
-Pokemon battle training, please don't last less than 10 seconds.
-Kodomo Ne :p
-Here comes the green-haired weirdo himself
-Pikachu is cute
-Here comes that very good music!
-Very fitting for N's intro!
-I really like it a lot.
-Science Sommelier nonsense, Pokemon voice nonbeliever
-Satoshi and Pikachu, you guys are flawless with that food scene.
-Dramatic flashback
-N and Reshiram
-N doesn't come off as overly eccentric right now, meh
-Satoshi met Zekrom revelation
-Wow, must be nice to have the whole lunch room to yourselves.
-The Zekrom from episode 1 has a point!
-Iris fawns over Zekrom
-More exposition is always nice, decent episode so far
-nicely animated scene, very passionate over Dragon Duo of Isshu
-Meh, N still isn't weird enough right here, he shouldn't realize he's going overboard about Zekrom and Reshiram.
-Pokemon Masutaa strikes a nerve
-N looks so cynical right here
-Dento makes food and his theme plays
-Looks very good
-Aw, special fruit, Pokepellet bowls. Very creative, dento
-Pokemon training battle
-TR stalking
-I like Kojirou's disguise
-Doryuzu :3
-Gantle too :>
-Rock Smash, ew go away
-Luster Cannon
-Kiai Dama
-Training is always nice I guess, despite how short it was
-Nicely animated Kibago fruit scnee d'aww
-Kibago likes berries
-What the hell? That's Kibago getting lost?
-Yeaaaaah
-TR motto scene is flawless!
-Don't like Kanto Motto though
-Animation and visuals are beaten by none
-TR balloon
-Tsutarja! Yay!
-Vine Whip pulls the balloon
-Mushroom amazing
-Pururiru attack
-N protects, he looks cool without his hat
-Nice discussion between TR and N
-Haha, funny little interactions
-Nyasu makes a weirded out face at N
-Tr thinks N's a weirdass.
-Oh, Nyasu :3
-Tsutarja returns
-Kenharou appears, a bad bitch
-Always nice to get a battle
-Kibago helps out too, cool :3
-That mushroom is the shit
-Kenharou sends them flying away
-Pikachu sick
-N's powers to read the hearts of all Pokemon is showcased
-pretty cool
-Mamanbou is actually somewhat relevant to an ep
-musashi should have caught one of those instead of Pururiru
-satoshi, you're so naive
-N doesn't care for battles, N DON'T YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT MAKES A LOT OF EPISODES GOOD!
-He's going to Hiun City?!
-TP TWO-PARTER PERHAPS?! GFJGKDFGJKFJGK possimaybe?
-BW trio are like robotos waving in unison like that with the same expressions on their faces.
-Dento's Best Wishes :3

It was a good enough set-up episode. Enjoyed N's interactions with TR and Satoshi. Nice job establishing his thoughts and a little exposition on Reshiram and Zekrom. I mainly wonder if this power will impact anything heavily in the future, TR confrontation should have been a straight-up battle to make it more interesting. Probably would have enjoyed this episode more if I didn't see the sneak-peak clip of it yet. N felt a bit too regular at some scenes but that's okay, he was interesting enough to carry the episode. I'll probably enjoy his next episode more, but this one was dialogue-heavy which is why I wasn't hugely into it. But it was a fun episode.

P.S. The way some were talking about Kibago being lost I thought he would:

A.Be lost for a long while and not be gone for about ten seconds.

B.He would actually be lost and not just walk away and then him and Pikachu get ambushed by TR.

I didn't expect to, but I did enjoy this episode.

It was a pleasant debut for N, and showcased his personality, as a pensive, passionate person pretty well, in my view. I did like how they used Ash's dream of being a Pokemon Master to show discomfort as it's comprehendible, and a nice touch, since no one does really ever has a noticeable reaction towards it, at least in recent times. I can kind of see as to why they chose Reshiram to appear before N, even though I do think Zekrom's an easier choice- you know, seeing the honesty in relationships and that truthfulness as well as trust is the key to a perfect relationship with a Pokemon.
I liked the gang's interactions, too. Ash being so proud about his and Pikachu's connection with food, and Iris slyly commenting on it was amusing in my opinion, and a nice typical setting. Dento's wariness and disbelief is also a good touch, and as is Ash's neutrality to this. I really like how they referenced Ash's encounter with Zekrom, I didn't think that would occur. I love the gang's brief silence when N says something compassionately to them before Ash tells him he is a Pokemon Master. Since, they are young, and such matters aren't something they'd probably dwell on with such a seriousness awareness everyday. I was very impressed at the berry slices in the dishes for the Pokemon as well as the pallets. Fancy, that. N exiting and Ash being worried about what he told him was also a great way to show how N is.
The TRio luring in Kibago with berries, I thought, was kind of insightful to how he is a baby Pokemon, that would wander with not too consideration and a little coaxing. Also that Pikachu would notice, as he is next to him, and be concerned about him enough to follow him in the attempt to bring him back. I do think they show a bit of a personality in this episode, as well, when N calls them on stealing the Pokemon, and they're put out by it, which anyone'd be, if they're attempting to thieve, they don't want someone preaching at them. I'm glad he's there to witness TR at work; since he'd particularly detest it. How erratically N runs when he blocks the moves out of harm's way with his body, was very amusing. It was clever of Ash to trick the TRio into believing that Unfezant was aiming for Frillish, thus leaving the capsule open to be broken by Aerial Ace and Kibago helping out, too.
Pikachu being poisoned was also a good touch, because intended or not, it would have just left him with the aliment. This helped to show N's communication with Pokemon being top notch, and I loved how he closes his eyes, but you think he's just wondering what to do without success, and the two Alomomola appear out from the water and assist to heal. Also, that N still gives an Oran berry to rejuvenate the Pokemon afterwards.
The sunset scene was... interesting, yes, as with what Dogasu translated for N's statement, it does implement the Reshiram/Zekrom dynamic between N and Ash, like in the games, with N and the protagonist.

One thing I found impressive was N commenting on Meowth's ability to talk in human words. Asking why he's talking in human speech when there are beautiful "pokemon language" - I'm pretty glad they touched on that part.

Also, I like how they had N call Alomomolas from the sea to cure Pikachu of paralysis.

And... N really likes to talk XDD When he was talking about his dreams, N was almost excited that he was talking faster every second XDD That was nicely done by the voice actor

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom