• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW113: The Foggy Sangi Ranch! Denryu's Light!!

Why do they insist on repeating the same motto animation?... :(

Nyasu falling asleep counting Mareep is how I felt the whole time. Standard filler with an ending we all saw coming.

I'm starting to warm to Iris' interaction with Dragonite with this episode - they are doing a good job with that now, and the bro-Charizard will probably help that even more. I really liked the Ampharos too.

I do wonder why Pikachu and Axew are being put together so much - we haven't seen Axew and Scraggy together in ages. Snivy's participation seemed very useless here though - it's even a bad choice of Pokemon for the situation, she's weak to both the TR Pokemon, and achieved nothing in the process. Snivy really needs a good episode soon to make up for its recent appearances being terrible.

Standard complaint about Team Rocket carries forward - Meowth was amusing though.

Iris and Kairyu helped make this episode entertaining for me during the Thunder Punch training scene, gotta love those interactions and personality. Nice to see Tsutarja too I suppose, other than that I didn't find the episode really eventful.

TR being used as plot-devices for COTD problems, just like the good ol' days of DP. Typical, predictable formula. How lovely. >_>

I'll still never understand why people want TR in episodes that don't require them, quality over quantity.

Meowth and Dragonite made me smile the whole episode. Glad Jessie still has her Woobat.

Other than that, it was a really boring episode.

Meowth and Dragonite made me smile the whole episode. Glad Jessie still has her Woobat.

Other than that, it was a really boring episode.

Question, really quick before I see the pictures later on, did Ash remember Jessie's Woobat? Thanks.

It seems like the writers are really trying to at least keep Meowth in character, hes always been one of my favorites. Now if only Jessie and James personalitys, even just a bit would come back.

Dragonite was the best part of this episode.

tumblr_mi7hwpE9w71s3at53o6_1280.jpg

You know...this is reminding me of a children's book. Evolved pokemon should be more adept/have more dignity than this. I know the anime has always been this way, but I guess it ends up more pronounced when everything else has gone down the tubes. In fact, I totally had deja vu, it's like we're really back in Johto, it's uncanny. Except TR is inconsistent still. I'm not going to be too angry, though. Let's just go on to the next ep, that's what we're really here for.

Why is Nyasu the only member of the Rocket trio allowed to be even the tiniest bit in-character?

I love how you always mock the notion of BW Team Rocket being not serious as out of character, yet are completely serious when you complain about them being serious as out of character. It's about time you face facts: the Rocket trio's characters have changed.

Yes! My favorite pokemon hasn't made a major appearance in the anime since DP130, which aired over three years ago in Japan. Therefore, I was very excited to watch this episode, even though it was not really important to the main storyline.

I included the episode review in spoiler tags.

The episode begins with Pikachu and Axew playfully running around meters in front of their trainers, something that very rarely happens in this anime. Perhaps for the first time since the Darumaka episode, the writers are actually pairing up Pikachu and Axew. Pikachu and Axew were seen jumping inside the Mareep, as well as pull off simultaneous fighting poses to get Ellie's Ampharos to learn Thunderpunch. Also, Axew was the first one to discover TRio's band of electricity that keeps attracting the Mareep. Wow, the writers really are on a roll for the past few episodes by having Axew actually do something, cause trouble and help out the group in his own recklessness, and become a true walking pokemon. What's with the sudden change now?

There was also that briefly humorous moment in the episode when Ash's Pikachu accidentally overshot its electricity in excitement when Ampharos tried to gather electricity in its hand. Nice that the writers seem to give Pikachu a bit of its personality too.

But the real star in this episode was Iris's Dragonite, who displayed the widest spectrum of its personality yet. Dragonite was very agitated when it quickly refused to help Ampharos learn Thunderpunch, reluctantly agrees to assist Iris and the others find the Mareep when it really wanted to go to sleep, and protected Ampharos with its own body from Woobat and Amoonguss' attacks. The writers really are establishing Dragonite as a second Charizard, both in its personality and fierce battling style.

TRio appeared to be doing the same as always, trying to capture whatever pokemon that is with Pikachu at the time. The writers seem to be giving Meowth a bit of his original personality when he was excitedly chanting the Mareep to go inside the cage. Furthermore, he almost fell asleep when he was counting the Mareep. Now if only the writers gave James and Jessie their original personalities...

Nothing left to note here. This was the usual filler/help out a COTD episode. There never was an explanation as to why Ampharos needed to learn Thunderpunch, so it felt that the writers wanted to shoehorn Iris's Dragonite here for no apparent reason. Ash's Snivy was briefly seen battling Jessie's Woobat, but she didn't do much once Ampharos "mastered" Thunderpunch.

Overall, this episode was average, but seeing Ampharos make a major contribution to an episode after so long warmed my heart.

The best part of the episode was seeing Dragonite in the Pokeball.

Classic filler COTD, combined with Classic TR Plot,and Classic Mareep evolution family, with Classic evolved-Pokemon-is-clumsy-and-must-get-a-new-move-because-one-of-the-COTD's-Pokemon-is-running-rampant plot. Equals CLASSIC FILLER!

Pros:
1) One word.Dragonite. Thunderpunch Training, Battle with TR, Pokeball Joke (can someone translate this one?)
2) Meowth counting Mareep and falling asleep.

Cons:
1) Classic of the Classics. Mild N Wooly, Olvine Lighthouse (2 eps here), A Chip Off the Old Brock (it was kinda fillerish,the important part happened 2 minutes in! Kinda like Battling the Leaf Thieves!), the list goes on...
2) Snivy... Why, Ash? Send Unfezant just to make things interesting.
3) Team Rocket is back to getting 50% of the ep's screentime!

6,5/10

Decent filler outside of Rocket-dan's appearance, but I really loved how Kairyu teached Thunderpunch for Denryu. Basically I liked every scene where Kairyu interacted with others.

There never was an explanation as to why Ampharos needed to learn Thunderpunch,

It was to make the Ampharos stronger so it would take care of the Mareep better, not letting them escape.

This was an okay filler. Predictable, but humorous and had a few memorable moments. I really love Ampharos, and with all the attention on Generation Five, I sort of forgot about it, so it was good to see it get some screentime for itself. ^_^

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom