• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW114: N, Again! Operation Rescue Warrgle!!

Good episode. I love how much Plasma hates N, and N refusing to travel with Satoshi because he hates battles. XD

Loved it. N was quite adorable :3 I'm watching it again when I come back home from school.

And this episode's senryuu was way stupider (is that a word?) than average XD

This episode was really exciting! We got N's flaws fleshed out, showing how reckless he can be and how much pain he goes through protecting Pokemon. His ingenious plan to get Braviary out of the Pokemon Centre came off as being lulzy and bit too predictable to me, but it worked out in the end XD. The Plasma grunts were good doing their job, and I liked seeing them. I liked the development N got looking at Ash and Iris battle. It's noteworthy how Iris put her Excadrill back in his Pokeball when he was tired. She could have kept pushing him to help defeat the Zangoose, but didn't, which goes to show that she didn't forget what she learned when he came to trusting her. I also liked the Braviary, how he didn't just ditch N and left him get hurt by the Zangoose and Seviper and how he also helped fight back. The scene with the gang preventing the Braviary from going to help N was very touching too. It also made me a bit sad because their time together is almost up in this saga, so they don't have much time left for more memories.

I'm only going by the screencaps, so I don't know if N said anything about it, but does anyone else see the irony of a Zangoose and Seviper fighting side by side?

That is Sad to. Any-who On Another Note This really was a good Episode the Interactions were great the Seviper And Zangoose were good And this episode featured N and Team Plasma Again So I Am Just Happy With That.

Another, "N" episode without Team Rocket.

So I guess all the people who thought TR's "return" to the series meant they would be in every episode again and become comedic again were dead wrong. Their appearances in the N saga are virtually the same as all of BW. They appear in a few pointless fillers, (like that Mareep episode), but otherwise are still plot centric and don't appear when they don't have to.

N sort of had a little high-pitched squeal when he was first attacked.

Oh gosh, Celestial Tower's theme was in the background. That is bar none my favorite BGM. But then they play goofy music while TP zoom in on the Pokemon Center.

I understand N wanted to trick Team Plasma with that fake Warrgle with the tracer, but why didn't he just throw the tracer into the woods and run off with Satoshi and the gang? It would have saved him from being attacked again.

This was a really great episode. I like N more in the anime than I did in the games, where he was trying too hard to be mysterious. This N is more sympathetic and interesting here. I only wish Iris got in a "kodomo ne" in this episode; I didn't hear her say it once.

N sort of had a little high-pitched squeal when he was first attacked.

Oh gosh, Celestial Tower's theme was in the background. That is bar none my favorite BGM. But then they play goofy music while TP zoom in on the Pokemon Center.

I understand N wanted to trick Team Plasma with that fake Warrgle with the tracer, but why didn't he just throw the tracer into the woods and run off with Satoshi and the gang? It would have saved him from being attacked again.

This was a really great episode. I like N more in the anime than I did in the games, where he was trying too hard to be mysterious. This N is more sympathetic and interesting here. I only wish Iris got in a "kodomo ne" in this episode; I didn't hear her say it once.

When did she say it

That's the thing; I didn't hear her say it once throughout the episode. Maybe she did say it and I didn't notice. But Dent had a bigger talking role in this episode than her.

Spectacular episode, I really, really liked it!

First of all, N. Greatest character ever, and that's not even an exaggeration. I've loved him immensly in both of the episodes which we've seen him appear in now, and he just keeps growing on me, and as Contrary mentioned, I definitely prefer animé!N over game!N. His heroic and completely unselfish actions are truly inspirable, and all of those attacks he kept taking for Braviary did surely mess him up pretty badly, yet he never even hesitated or seemed to regret his actions, because as long as Braviary was fine he semed to be alright. Seeing him run away with the fake Braviary was the most heroic thing he did, however, and that I loved. I love this recklessness of his, though it do appear to be one of his flaws too. If Braviary, Ash and the others hadn't appeared to save him, N surely would've been in grave danger.

I really wished he could become a permanent member in the gang, though at the same time that might just take away the magic coming from his character.

As for the Team Plasma members... I really like how they're making two regular grunts so frightening and powerful, and the combination of Seviper and Zangoose was interesting, but also somewhat unrealistic due to what we've previously seen from the two of them. They were both obviously rather strong Pokémon however, and it was rather intense seeing how they insisted on attacking N despite him being completely defenseless.

The battle(s) we had was great as well. Seeing Ash and Iris take on the role of doing the battling made perfect sense and only further established Iris' character trait of always standing up against things she thinks is wrong or just unfair. Lots of times before have we seen her step up aggressivley as soon as something she did not approve of occured, as Shamus's treatment towards Tepig, Officer Jenny's decisions regarding Dragonite, Team Rocket etc., so I really liked how she immediately stepped up alongside Ash to battle them. While the battle we saw wasn't all that spectacular, it still was great seeing Excadrill and Pikachu take Zangoose and Seviper on, although I was surprised to see Focus Blast of all its moves be the attack to take down Seviper. I guess a long-range move was the only attack that could counter Seviper's attack.

Overall, fantastic episode! N, Ash, Cilan, Iris, Plasma grunts, Braviary etc, they were all really good, and if Episode N keeps this up Team Plasma will surely become my favorite villanious team in the anime as of yet, they're really impressive.

Knowing N, I doubt he'd want to take any risks. After all, if he just had thrown the tracer away the Plasma grunts would quickly get on the move searching for the others again, and since they also were slowed down by Braivary there could be a risk to them being find out. Thus, he decided to lure them away, since that helped him buy quite a lot of time for the others to make an escape.

This episode didn't seem that impressive, but it certainly continued the tone of the Plasma plot. I didn't play B/W2, but this is the kind of development I expected N to have. My sources tell me that is not so, and he is still a righteous snot. The only complaint I have is that it makes N seem too good, but compared to everyone else, it's kind of refreshing to see a person that knows what they're doing in the anime. At least Ash and co. had to bail him out. I'll only say this ep is okay. That's still better than what I've said for most of BW

Agreeing with every one else, yet another amazing TP/N episode! I really liked this episode, it was dialogue-heavy at some scenes so I probably didn't appreciate the episode as much as I could have but it was good. Hands down N is becoming one of my favorite characters, why? Mainly because of how much he went through for Wargle's sake this episode. He shows an unselfish and considerate nature of the Pokemon, not in the Satoshi way, but in his own way. TP and N were my favorite antagonist of the game, in the game he comes off as more cryptic and delusional in PokeSpe he comes off as more antagonistic and psychotic. In the anime he comes off as being heroic with a hint of man-childish behavior, not unlike his game counterpart but still has a natural feel to it. It's hard to explain.

You can especially feel the emotion during the first scene where N gets backslashed/bitten by Nero and Bianco's Habunake and Zangoose, that mainly has to do with how good his VA is. In all honesty I thought N's VA did an excellent job and in-comparison to more popular VAs like Mamoru Miyano, I'll never understand why the latter is so popular. MamoMiya just seems so standard and I never understood why he was so popular aside from being a Japanese Jonas Brother-type idol, Aoi Yuki is a pretty newbie VA I know, but her VAing never came off as good as Yuichi Nakamura's in this ep. I just really liked the Wargle's grateful nature, knowing just how much turmoil and pain N was going through. His interactions were great and he meshed well with Satoshi-tachi, I also really liked how at the end Dento starts to talk about the marriage between the four of them. XD

Bianco and Nero weren't standard grunts, they're anime exclusive but they stand-out in their own right. One of my problems with Galactic, Aqua, and Magma grunts and TR agents is most of them just seem like general copies of each other with the same exact Pokemon. Mostly the ugly-looking bats. These two grunts were rather badass, I like how their names are Italian for black and white and they have two Pokemon that are black and white. It was nice to see Zangoose and Habunake not trying to kill each other given they supposedly have been feuding for generations. Cool to see Doryuzu get a win, he hasn't had one in a while, Iris clearly was going for a second KO with Zangoose which was unsurprising.

The small reference to Iris's development back in Langley's debut episode originally went over my head, though it was nice that once Doryuzu was tiring Iris considered his feeling and returned him to his Pokeball. N saw that and seemed to might have developed a little from seeing a trainer care for their Pokemon like that, given one of Iris's past flaws was that she couldn't understand her Pokemon very well, specifically Doryuzu and the Ononodo from her young childhood. I also liked the moment where N was examining Satoshi and Pikachu during the bout with Zangoose, I personally would have preferred seeing Satoshi use something other than Pikachu however.

I think the writers really got N down and this is exactly what I mean when it comes to the quality of an antagonist and not the quantity. Team Galactic were underwhelming and anticlimactic but the writers seem to be doing well by TP. It was nice seeing my favorite Isshu bird, he kinda looked high throughout this episode which was amusing. I really liked the bond he formed with N. N's intelligence with getting into the truck, making a plan, and also his athleticism were amazing. It reminded me of how he's a prodigy in the games.

Overall, it was another great TP/N episode.

Almost forgot, loved the fact that N was freeing a Wargle from TP. Because eagles represent liberation.

Last edited:
So N finally joins the group... Did we need a whole episode for this one to come? Just kidding, of course we would need it, for it would have been rushed, which is a norm in BW, but anyway...
Jokes aside, it wasn't a great episode overall, since the main plot involved an already seen BW Pokemon (Tag Brothers Episode). Not only that, Ash scanned it again (Okay, he foregts the existence of certain Pokemon sometimes, but not just only 15 episodes later...).
Iris (alongside her Excadrill) had a minor role, which was a bit forced due to the N-and-battling issue that had to be solved for N to formally join the group. Also, what's that with Cilan's computer thingy every time, and was the Zangoose Grunt a MAN?!
Braviary itself made sense (it wanted to help, as it is brave). That's why I think they should have used something else in BW099, instead of a double showcase.
N was depicted too much as a secret-agent, and his "love" for receiving Pokemon's attacks made him look more like a psycho-Pokemon-hybrid-freak to me. His plan was okay, and I think that TP should have not fallen for it.
To the goods of the episode, Team Plasma was competent, even though I think there was no reason for them to use glasses at the Pokemon Center. It was their over-reliance at technology that fooled them off in the end, however. The Zangoose grunt looks nothing like a man, but anyway. It was also nice to see they did not blast off, as they almost always do it when Ash/Co fight two or three random grunts (especially since they totally replaced TR in this one). By the way, why did they make so much ruckus for a Braviary?
Also, TEAM ROCKET WAS NOT IN THE EPISODE! (And to think some people thought we would see Jessie's Seviper in this one!)
Overall, it was just a not-exactly-filler (but fillerish indeed) episode designed to show us N and Team Plasma a bit more, that also settled N's battlling issues and entered him to the group. It did it's part, yet, it is the definition of forgettable. Oops, what were we talking about? :p

6/10

EDIT:
Given one of Iris's past flaws was that she couldn't understand her Pokemon very well, specifically Doryuzu and the Ononodo from her young childhood.

Forgot the most important? LOL DRAGONITE! It had to be Cynthia (and later Elder) to calm it down!

Also, can a Japanases-fluent person tell us what's going on with Driftveil (Hodomoe) City in the end? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Oh, so N did officially join the group? Not that I understood the dialogues, but I got the feeling that he declined their offer, though I am most likely wrong since he appears in all of the episodes after this one. Can someone confirm that he in fact did join the gang?

He does join the group, yes. He tells Satoshi and the others that he's on the way to Hodomoe City, so our heroes suggest they all go there together since they're headed that way as well. N hesitates at first because of his dislike of pokemon battles but eventually decides to take Satoshi up on his offer.

N is an extreme version of Ash,, but its also nice to know when a man gets hurt badly even when its not his pokemon.. I think N would probably even die to save Braviary from TP. Ahh well its our heroes just in time to save the day and N's plan is too good for grunts to realise they were fooled.. The attachment between N and Braviary was really very touching.. Happy that N joining the group for some eps.. May be its N who understood why Ash battles even though he cares for pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom