• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

Nostalgia overload! And it looked fantastic, too! I love the newer animation and the newer eye style. Older material redone that way? Fantastic!

Gotta love Pikachu going to town on that orange juice.

When Ash got Charizard's Poké Ball, the wrist of his glove was green instead of red. Minor, but yeah.
33z3as2.jpg
Aw, Iris thought Charizard was part Dragon. Who can blame her, though? How many of us thought Charizard was a Dragon when we were kids? With some Pokémon, it's not easy to tell what their types are. Like Gyarados or Altaria or...Sylveon.

Last edited:
BEST NON TR EPISODE EVER AND I'VE GIVE IT 10/10! and btw another region another appearance of our old friend (albeit for a cameo) the Humble Magikarp salesman

Last edited:
I AM GOING TO LAUGH SO HARD WHEN I SEE IRIS REALIZE THAT CHARIZARD IS NOT A DRAGON TYPE.

Oh the old memories ;')
attachment.php

Ha, look at Pidgeotto! Does anyone remember the trainer in the dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back calling his Pidgeot a Pidgeotto? Even the Japanese animators are prone to mixing them up it would seem!

Other than that and a few issues with some of the updated character models, I absolutely loved the flashbacks and seeing Charizard in action again. This was an episode for old and new Pokemon fans alike.

I've smiled so stupidly since this episode aired. All that nostalgia. All those old episodes re-animated (Damien in BW!Style?! Koga? NEVER saw that coming!), it's just.. after all these years, seeing those old episodes again.. it's amazing, I love it. Seeing still-shots of the "old days" in Battle Frontier and DP can't compete with how amazing it is to have entire scenes re-animated.

Seeing Pidgeotto again makes me eager to hopefully see the day when Ash will return to Viridian Forest to reunite with Pidgeot. I may just be drugged with excitement, but maybe the writers will, eventually, tie the loose plot ends together? We even saw Primeape for heaven's sake! They haven't forgotten!

....Anyone else think Unfezant is having a field day among those manly male birds at Oak's?

We even saw Primeape for heaven's sake! They haven't forgotten!
Primeape was shown in the pan of Ash's Oaked Pokemon in the last opening theme, so it was clear he wasn't forgotten. xD

....Anyone else think Unfezant is having a field day among those manly male birds at Oak's?
Sure is better than staying at Araragi's for all that time - she might as well go to Oak's and have some fun. First good decision by Satoshi for once when it comes to taking care of his birds.

Good to see that Charizard is back. Besides him it was great to see so many old characters even though most of them were in a flashback.

I also wonder how long this rivalry between Charizard and Dragonite will last seeing how they are good friends in the ending.

Satoshi was really entertaining in this episode for me. I haven't found him to be so fun to watch in such a long time.

I really am in love witht his episode, all the flashback, whats nice is now Dento and Iris can't call him a newbie HA Iris making a mistake and thinking it was a dragon type.
Good to see Tracey and Oak again, never knew how much I missed them till now. Seriously though, all those flashbacks really got to me, they almost made me want to cry. I hope the Mewtwo film has flashbacks of the first film and the special, that'd make me so happy. It was also nice seeing Brock and Misty again, even if in flashbacks kind of made me want them get a cameo at the end of this series. Too bad Team Rocket wasn't in this episode, oh well maybe they'll talk about him in the next one.

I loved seeing all of those reanimated flashbacks! So many feelings, waaaah. <333

Also, N and Dent agreeing at the end cracked me up. Poor, poor Iris. (I... actually didn't know Lizardon wasn't even a half-a-Dragon Type either.)

Seeing the Koiking Salesman, Hitokage's old trainer, Kenji, Ookido-hakase, Koga, and all those old characters in the new style was so awesome!

tumblr_mjadj5xixv1qitc21o6_250.png

Also, Satoshi had a LOT of great expressions in this episode. Especially whenever he got burned, in flashbacks and in present time. xD;

Last time on Pokemon Kai, we redo old scenes because we can, and keep some as they were for some arbitrary reason. They never had to do an abridged history of a pokemon before, but it has been forever since we last saw Char. I didn't see Misty in the screenies, where was she?

HAH, it's about damn time Ash got to correct Iris over something. Now we just need someone like Trip to get an eyeful of this beast.

So Misty/Brock really were just in that very short scene of Charmander's capture. Well I guess that's the token Misty reference for the generation, much like the lure was back in DP. Guess that's all the writers care to show of Ash's old companions.

So Ash's desire to bring Charizard back to his team was stemmed from watching a Charmander pull off a contest-like appeal at a Kanto Festival. Basically if he saw a Squirtle or a Bulbasaur pull it off instead, Ash wouldn't have bothered to bring back Charizard at all.

Nice stem of thinking writers.

So Misty/Brock really were just in that very short scene of Charmander's capture. Well I guess that's the token Misty reference for the generation, much like the lure was back in DP. Guess that's all the writers care to show of Ash's old companions.

Misty and Brock were also seen during the scenes in which Charmeleon evolves into Chaizard and Ash giving away his Charizard. Brock was seen in flashback form in a previous episode, and Tracey was seen alongside Professor Oak during the video presentation.

For those who spoke Japanese, did Ash actually mention either Misty/Brock by name? Or were they just shown in flashback form? Dawn name-dropped Brock last time, but I don't know if Ash did.

I don't know if you have seen the flashback sequence in full, but they were also shown rescuing Charmander, with Ash in the Pokemon Centre while Joy was treating Charmander and when Charmeleon evolved into Charizard. Besides, the bigger question is how can you judge how much Misty and Brock are cared for by the writers right now? Going by that logic we could say that prior to Episode N, Charizard was completely forgotten considering that it last appeared in the same saga that Misty last made a physical appearance in - but that just isn't how it works.

If I had to feel sorry for any past character in those flashbacks then it would be Tracey as he didn't seem to appear in the Orange Islands segment. At least he was shown with Professor Oak presenting the original starters. :p

Did anyone else think Misty seemed redesigned to be more, "cutesy?" I can't describe it actually, but in the old episodes she was more "Scrawny" but here it looks like she was designed to be similar to May or Dawn's look.

I guess she looks more girly.

I haven't seen the episode yet. I have a question. WHY WERE MISTY AND BROCK IN FALSHBACKS AND NOT IN PERSON?? What's the point of having Misty and Brock in an episode that's Kanto based and for them to not appear in person (actually now that I think about Brock maybe busy studing to be a doctor).

This episode was too good for words! I've never been excited over flashbacks in my entire life, but man! Pidgeotto, Primeape? Misty? Brock?

Ash explaining his past journey to Iris and Cilan? Iris seemingly recognizing that Ash really isn't a noob? This episode was too good to be true! I just love how we also saw Tracey and Oak advertising the starters, and how Bulba and Squirtle also got flashbacks.

As sloppy as the writers have been in Best Wishes, the important thing is that they haven't forgotten. They haven't lost sight on what and who this show was founded upon.

Now this is an EPIC episode!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom