• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

Oh the old memories ;')
attachment.php

Yep, I had a feeling that Misty's eyes would get redrawn.

Also, I noticed that someone in the preview thread joked that the Magikarp salesman would return, and suprisingly, he was right!

Anyway, this was a very nostalgic episode. I loved all of the cameos and flashbacks, and the short battle between Charizard and Dragonite was epic. Especially how Charizard just looks at Dragonite like that, ignoring the other Pokémon entirely.

The only gripes I have with the flashbacks were no Jigglypuff in the Areodactyl episode (because its Jiggs) and no Blaziken battle, but at the end of the day, those are just minor nitpicks that don't really ruin much. Overall, it was a great watch, and it was the best episode since the Sinnoh League arc! (Speaking of which, why didn't Ash use Charizard against Tobias?)

I haven't seen the episode yet. I have a question. WHY WERE MISTY AND BROCK IN FALSHBACKS AND NOT IN PERSON?? What's the point of having Misty and Brock in an episode that's Kanto based and for them to not appear in person (actually now that I think about Brock maybe busy studing to be a doctor).

Why in the world would you think Misty and Brock would appear when we knew they were in flashbacks from the beginning?

Likewise the writers just wanted to bring Charizard back, they probably have no intention of Misty/Brock returning in any capacity. Misty's last appearance in the anime was back in 2005, so just like the lure back in DP, this is the token reference to her for the generation without her having to show up.

I haven't seen the episode yet. I have a question. WHY WERE MISTY AND BROCK IN FALSHBACKS AND NOT IN PERSON?? What's the point of having Misty and Brock in an episode that's Kanto based and for them to not appear in person (actually now that I think about Brock maybe busy studing to be a doctor).

Why in the world would you think Misty and Brock would appear when we knew they were in flashbacks from the beginning?

Likewise the writers just wanted to bring Charizard back, they probably have no intention of Misty/Brock returning in any capacity. Misty's last appearance in the anime was back in 2005, so just like the lure back in DP, this is the token reference to her for the generation without her having to show up.

with the so called logic your using Charizard should not be returning.

No the episode was purposely about Charizard which is why even Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't return. The writers probably don't want Misty or Brock back, at least not now. Brock might appear towards the end of BW though.

No the episode was purposely about Charizard which is why even Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't return. The writers probably don't want Misty or Brock back, at least not now. Brock might appear towards the end of BW though.

1 i wasnt talking about the episode is was talking about charizard its self.

2 he didnt say that he thinks that they wher making physical cameos he said why didnt they

3 misty will return mark my words

The only gripes I have with the flashbacks were no Jigglypuff in the Areodactyl episode (because its Jiggs) and no Blaziken battle, but at the end of the day, those are just minor nitpicks that don't really ruin much. Overall, it was a great watch, and it was the best episode since the Sinnoh League arc! (Speaking of which, why didn't Ash use Charizard against Tobias?)

I didn't think about the exclusion of the Blaziken battle, but then I suppose that it would fall into the same bracket as the Dusclops fight being that it was a loss. Having said that, Charizard vs Blaziken is one of the show's most iconic battles, and on reflection it would have been nice to see more of the 'Zard's shortcomings in the flashback alongside its obvious disobedient phase.

I am glad they finally discussed and brought back one of Ash's past powerhouses, but i, personally, would have done it a little differently and would have had more shock to it. Also, i have to know, what made Iris look so shocked/embarrassed near the end?

Rewatched the episode and look what I missed earlier... That Magikarp salesman :p
I didn't know he made a cameo appearance.
attachment.php

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-03-07-20h57m35s37.png
    vlcsnap-2013-03-07-20h57m35s37.png
    492.2 KB · Views: 2,052
I'm still disappointed Ash didn't bring back Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Why were they brought back last time and not this one?

I'm still disappointed Ash didn't bring back Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Why were they brought back last time and not this one?

Probably because the Charmander preforming on stage stood out a lot more to Ash than the Squritle and Bulbasaur that got a passing mention at Oak's lab.

(It still would have been nice to have a reunion, though. Much like in Gathering the Gang of Four.)

Yeah, I pretty much guessed that the fight would get interrupted...but never considered it would be because of N.

Fuckin' N, ruining cool fights.

They usually do reunite Ash's Kanto starters which is why it surprises me that an ep that was perfect for it didn't happen. They'll never do something like this for Ash's other teams (just look at how his Johto team remains ignored and forgotten) but the Kanto one usually gets special treatment.

My only hope is that Charizard's return signals more of Ash's old pokemon like Gible returning.

I loved this episode to no end, it doesn't even bother me that Blaziken wasn't in it. I liked all the flashbacks they put into it as well as the attention to detail and how they got everything correct. They even put in the Magikarp Salesman (which admittedly I didn't notice until mentioned). Overall even though it was flashbacks I still love this episode.

If N had met Charizard and Pikachu with Ash in the games then there wouldn't have been any doubt to him as to if or not humans and Pokemon belonged together.

If anyone can teach that punk Dragonite about his bad attitude I think it would be our boy Charizard.

Does anyone else think that Unfezant will stay at Oak's lab for good? Or do you guys think that it's still in rotation? Because I was curious about that since Ash decided to send it to Oak and all to make room for Charizard.

Apologies for the image-spam... Couldn't resist

Dento and N... Do we have a shipping name for these two?
attachment.php

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-03-07-21h18m20s158.png
    vlcsnap-2013-03-07-21h18m20s158.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 3,636
Does anyone else think that Unfezant will stay at Oak's lab for good? Or do you guys think that it's still in rotation? Because I was curious about that since Ash decided to send it to Oak and all to make room for Charizard.

I'm sure all the Unova pokes will go there eventually.

I thought the flashbacks cutting out Charizard's losses were idiotic.

Wow, what a great episode! It really did bring back those childhood memories, I honestly didn't think it would make me emotional, but it did. It was fun to re-live those memories. The flashbacks were nicely done. And seeing Koga was awesome, I did not expect that.

Iris was too cute at the end, lol.

I thought the flashbacks cutting out Charizard's losses were idiotic.
Except for all the losses shown. Like against all the Charizard, losing at the league, losing to the Poliwrath...

Which makes not showing its loss against Blaziken idiotic.

My only guess is they just wanted to show Kanto pokemon in the flashbacks, so Ash's losses against Blaziken and Dusclops weren't shown because they were Hoenn pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom