• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

Wow, I think nostalgia just ran in, stripped down to it's skivvies, and did a River Dance while singing in Latin.

And I loved it.

All those flashbacks were so enjoyable to see, the new animation style did them justice. Yeah I know they're total fanwank, but for practical reasons it gave the younger fans a backstory for Charizard so they can understand why he rocks. It's understandable they didn't show Charizard's loses to Blaziken and Dusclops, as the writers are trying to show the youngsters this big salamander in a positive light, and they wouldn't want to show his massive region-disadvantage to Hoenn Pokemon.

I found it interesting Oak just sent Charizard over instantly, since in the past Charizard had to fly over to wherever Ash needed him. I honestly think Charizard would be better off at Oak's lab training against Ash's other Pokemon at this point rather then just fighting the same damn Charizard over and over at that conveniently-placed-to-get-rid-of-him valley.

The fight was awesome, just wish N didn't have to butt in. Hey N, save the hippie stuff for when Team Plasma attacks them.

tumblr_mjada8FjHj1r2en1ko2_500.jpg

Ash looks more confused about how Pidgeotto evolved into a tiny Pidgeot then the fact that he's out of his ball.

Iris didn't know Charizard wasn't a dragon type? Hahaha, she's SUCH a kiiiIiIiiiIiiiIiIiiiIiIiiiIIiiiiid!

So all-in-all, great episode. Looking forward to seeing Charizard in action from here-on out.

I just can't even!

This episode had so much nostalgia and just seeing Charizard return just made my day! Not only did we get his return but we got some great flashbacks that also included some of Ash's older Pokemon. The battle with Dragonite was actually really cool and Charizard would've won if it wasn't for N interrupting it.

Very awesome episode! I don't think I've been this happy about a Best Wishes episode in...Well the series has disappointed me so much I can't remember a time I was this happy.

Does anyone else think that Unfezant will stay at Oak's lab for good? Or do you guys think that it's still in rotation? Because I was curious about that since Ash decided to send it to Oak and all to make room for Charizard.

I too get the impression that Unfezant has been replaced by Charizard, rather than still being it rotation. Unfezant seems like it has left the main cast, like Heracross and Bulbasaur did or Snorlax shortly before returning to oak's. I think Unfezant is back for good, not to be seen untill Ash goes back to Pallet or starts calling upon pokemon from him again.

Which makes not showing its loss against Blaziken idiotic.
No, it makes it a fair and reasonable omission - the point of Charizard's history was conveyed by the clips shown - every Pokemon loses, but the symbolism behind the specific losses shown and then the victories after Ash left him in training was enough to give the message the episode was giving.

Charizard won battles for Ash before Charizard Chills, he even 'helped' him win an Orange League badge - but that's not the point of the clip show.

Obviously though if they'd showed him losing another battle they could have cut out a little bit more of Misty's appearances - which would have been fantastic right?

I rewatched the episode.

And I just noticed now that Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu are in it too if you look closely.
rocketdan.png

I wish Ash dumped his entire BW team except Scraggy. This team bombed at the league and deserve to be forgotten. Bring back more old classics.

Not to happy about Slash, Wing Attack and Dragon Tail. I knew Flamethrower of course would stay in the moveset because like Pikachu's Thunderbolt it is one of Charzard's trademarks. Not seeing Seismic Toss was like Pikachu forgetting Volt Tackle...

Maybe like Piplup it will use more than 4 moves? Piplup used a 5th move Headbutt so maybe Charizard will bust out some new moves or some of its older ones later on.

But on the positive side we get to see Charizard make use of all of its noticeable body parts;
Wing Attack with its Dragon-like wings
Dragon Tail with its well Dragon-like tail
Slash with its sharp Dragon-like claws that grow/glow to perform the attack
And of course Flamethrower to display its powerful Fire-typing

Usually I'd jump at the excitement of Ash getting to correct Iris and saying "You thought Charizard was part Dragon? What a little kid..." but NO with the above statements I mentioned with its moves I in no way schold Iris for not knowing because I'm sure 99% of us thought Charizard was a Dragon type and still think it should be recognized as one.

Flashbacks...brings a tear to my eye

Sigh...what's up with the "follower" characters always stopping a good match before we see a winner?

Cynthia stopping Dawn's Quilava vs. Pikachu and now N stopping Charizard vs. Dragonite

This episode kind of made me forget about Ash's crappy performance this series just with the flashbacks, seeing old friends and whatnot it just is like magic xD

Now I'd love for Charizard to show a certain Paul-clone and his garden hose the TRUE power of someone from the "boonies"

I just WISH Ash would have busted out some of his old team(s) for the league but you know what's done cannot be undone so I just hope the good episodes just keep on rolling and we get to see the best of Charizard in these upcoming episodes.

Unfezant with Ash's other birds? First off history with one of Ash's Unova Pokemon in Kanto and who knows maybe we'll see Unfezant again with better attacks!

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that Ash hadn't changed his team since the battle with Cameron. Up untill this episode, the starters, Unfezant and Boldore have been the only ones shown. There is no evidence that Scraggy and the others have been on Ash's team since the league. I don't see Charizard going to Juniper's, I reckon he'll be on the team till the end of BW.

Has anyone noticed that Ash hadn't changed his team since the battle with Cameron. Up untill this episode, the starters, Unfezant and Boldore have been the only ones shown. There is no evidence that Scraggy and the others have been on Ash's team since the league. I don't see Charizard going to Juniper's, I reckon he'll be on the team till the end of BW.

Probably when the N arc ends Charizard will leave.

Usually I'd jump at the excitement of Ash getting to correct Iris and saying "You thought Charizard was part Dragon? What a little kid..." but NO with the above statements I mentioned with its moves I in no way schold Iris for not knowing because I'm sure 99% of us thought Charizard was a Dragon type and still think it should be recognized as one.

But if Iris really was so much more knowledgeable than Ash, like she claims to be, she would know that Dragon-Type moves could be used by non-dragons. What a little kid, she's always been a little kid

Unfezant with Ash's other birds? First off history with one of Ash's Unova Pokemon in Kanto and who knows maybe we'll see Unfezant again with better attacks!

It is certinly common for pokemon to unexplicably learn cool moves at Oak's. Noctowl is the best example of this.

Probably when the N arc ends Charizard will leave.

Except he is appearing in the movie, which will be a while after the N arc

Ash doesn't carry a sixth Pokémon in Movie 16 (the poster and character biography confirm as much). I am guessing that Boldore will be sent to Oak after Episode N, as will the other Unova reserves. Ash will presumably have an empty slot in the team just as he did in the Battle Frontier saga, leaving room for an old reserve to return every now and then. It wouldn't be that different than the rotation system previously used in Best Wishes, but at least all the reserves would be at Oak's and no one would hog the spotlight for an extended period.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that Charizard is the same height as N i thought charizard was 7 feet tall in the anime o_O

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom