• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

One of Ash's birds is gonna get lucky tonight :D

I'm laughing at the idea of Satoshi's flying-types squabbling in the sky as Kenhallow happily watches from below. Fan-artists... make it happen!

This is the first episode for a while I think I'm actually going to watch, it looks like a rare good BW episode, although it falls into a couple of the same traps... first of all, Lizardon has been given a couple of bad moves (but not as bad as Pochama losing Hydro Pump for Headbutt, mind) and the show still seems to have a huge issue with letting main characters battle each other. If the Don Battle was on now, I'd half expect Shirona to run onto the field during the battle between Pikachu and Doryuzu shouting "That's enough, I think they've both proven themselves"

God any of u got a link so I can watch this ep online?

Anyone here who could help? :eek:

I guess no one has a kind heart here.

Hey where can I watch this episode? Anyone got a link? I reaaaaaaaaly want to watch it *_*

7. Copyright Violation (4 points, 2 months)

• Users should not request or provide help to illegally view copyrighted material such as fansubs and scanlations or to download illegal programs such as emulators.

You guys are asking for links to illegally hosted material. That is against the rules and so no one here will provide you with a link. If they do, they're getting infracted and so too will you if you ask for a link again.

I prefer the storyboarding for the reanimated flashbacks than the original episodes. Kasumi looks better with the new eye style and Daisuke and Kyou look amazing in digital animation.

Oh, yeah, Lizardon's back because desperate fanservice and stuff.

I wonder what the animators must have felt like drawing Brock in his Kanto clothes again after just drawing him in his Sinnoh outfit when Dawn mentioned him.

Brock is really getting a lot of flashbacks in BW despite not appearing at all.

While I'm a little peeved that the Zard has lost some of his more iconic moves, I'm glad to see him back.

Given how this series has played out, however, I think I can afford to be cautiously pessimistic.

So no Gary at all. Guess he really is phased out again despite appearing in DP for some reason. I don't understand the Kanto nostalgia now when Brock and Gary are off the show. Shouldn't thus have happened back in DP?

Not everything is some kind of anti-character conspiracy, you know. :p

I really loved this episode! For what little time they allowed for the actual battle, it was really intense. It looked like Dragonite would have lost if the match wore on, since it seemed to have sustained more damage. The only real problem I had with it was how Cilan was the only one not to bring out his team to meet Charizard. What, does he not train Pokemon anymore? And here's hoping we see Unfezant come back , because she was one of my favorites of Ash's Unova team.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the episode yet. I have a question. WHY WERE MISTY AND BROCK IN FALSHBACKS AND NOT IN PERSON?? What's the point of having Misty and Brock in an episode that's Kanto based and for them to not appear in person (actually now that I think about Brock maybe busy studing to be a doctor).

Why in the world would you think Misty and Brock would appear when we knew they were in flashbacks from the beginning?

Likewise the writers just wanted to bring Charizard back, they probably have no intention of Misty/Brock returning in any capacity. Misty's last appearance in the anime was back in 2005, so just like the lure back in DP, this is the token reference to her for the generation without her having to show up.

If I remeber correctly, Bulbapedia's front page had said something about Misty and Brock appearing in this episode (the thing said that a code breaker type thing was needed, which I don't have). It never saw anything about flashback appearences.

2 he didnt say that he thinks that they wher making physical cameos he said why didnt they

I was thinking this might have been their only appearence in BW. Even if they had accompanied Charizard I would've been okay with it (possibly not a good idea for me to say that).

I haven't seen the episode yet. I have a question. WHY WERE MISTY AND BROCK IN FALSHBACKS AND NOT IN PERSON?? What's the point of having Misty and Brock in an episode that's Kanto based and for them to not appear in person (actually now that I think about Brock maybe busy studing to be a doctor).

Why in the world would you think Misty and Brock would appear when we knew they were in flashbacks from the beginning?

Likewise the writers just wanted to bring Charizard back, they probably have no intention of Misty/Brock returning in any capacity. Misty's last appearance in the anime was back in 2005, so just like the lure back in DP, this is the token reference to her for the generation without her having to show up.

2 he didnt say that he thinks that they wher making physical cameos he said why didnt they
I was thinking this might have been their only appearence in BW. Even if they had accompanied Charizard I would've been okay with it (possibly not a good idea for me to say that).

If you read the whole article, it clearly said they were only going to appear in flashbacks. Everyone knew they weren't going to actually show up.

I think Krookodile should have appeared over Boldore.

he and pignite are the only 2 that can even come close to Charizard's caliber. Don't waste his Highness's limited time by making the grand Lizardon associate with the plebs please.

This episode made me wish Ash dumped all his current pokemon. I would have loved to seen a mixed gen team like Charizard, Bayleef, Glalie, Gible and Scraggy for example.

Really good episode, if I could give it a good name title. It feels like a clip show done very, very right.

• I liked seeing Satoshi point out the Kanto Starters like that, really adorable scene to see him so hyped for it. The Kanto festival in all was really something nice to see, even though it was brief I liked seeing the Kanto Pokemon merchandise and Hitokage was a really cute Pokemon. This is my first time watching one in Japanese and it was klutzy but entertaining for its short time on-screen. That use of Ember in a weird, rotating rendition was adorable and poor thing had a high tolerance for pain to be able to stomach a bunch of crap falling on it.

• The flASHbacks were my favorite part of this episode surprisingly. Now this is how things should be done, the reanimated scenes were beautiful, Iwane really outdid himself this episode. I noticed a few small proportion errors when it came to the arm/hand size of the older characters but it wasn't something that bothered me heavily. It's only natural they'd be out of experience with drawing such older characters and scenes. Back to the flashbacks, they were awesome. Didn't expect to see Rage(I think it was Rage from the dialogue) in the anime, looked like a generic Flamethrower though and Hitokage's old red-carpet battles. Wish Fire Spin wasn't turned into a generic Flamethrower in the Pink Badge Gym flashback.

I liked seeing the bird, the bulb, the turtle, the rat, and Satoshi all cuddled up together, heartwarming scene. Noticed the Japanese text got warped into Tajirian in Hitokage's evolution scene. Lizardo's evolution during the fossil episode reanimated was amazing, it reminds you how many times Satoshi got barbecued by Lizardon and his competitive spirit. It's such a huge contrast to the timid Magmarashi, vengeful Goukazaru, badass adorable Chaobu, and emotional Cotoise. Sure they all share character aspects with abuse in some form but they're all vastly different in personality and actions.

Glad to see S-Toss's moon animation wasn't whored out in the flashbacks. It looks better that way to me, I liked seeing Hiroshi's Leon. Would have been nice to get a shot of Hiroshi however. Satoshi defrosting Lizardon is always an awesome scene to see, one of his biggest breakthroughs as a trainer in my book. Was kinda surprised to see Iron Tail's old animation wasn't retconned back during the flashback to the 8th Jouto Gym. AG Satoshi looked the best holding up the knowledge simple with his BW irises.

Those flashbacks really made me wanna go back and watch older episodes.

• Eyes. Specifically Shoujo eyes. This episode made me realize Satoshi's BW eyes are a vast improvement over his old ones. These are better at emoting and conveying an aura of excitement when a badge is earned or fear when something dangerous is happening. I didn't notice fully until I saw older scenes, also Kasumi's new eyes looked nice. She looked so Hikari-ish, guess the writers made her more feminine in appearance.

• Liked seeing Iris so excited to meet Lizardon and the Kanto fear and so engrossed in Satoshi's story and the battle itself. Her auto-assuming Lizardon to be a Dragon-type was cute as well, I just thought it was kinda weird how freaked out she got over making a mistake on a Pokemon's typing. I'm like, "Calm the fuck down." She really thought she had things in the palm of her hand with a super-effective Dragon Rush. Kibago's small teasing was adorable. Still waiting for the writers to acknowledge that Kibago's Dragon Rage looks like a Lizardon. Thus Lizardon will be here until the end of the Genesect movie at least, excellent. Though the writers better not make Chaobu obsolete, still love that guy.

• Dento and N's split scene together rocked. Also N pulling a Shirona, didn't see that coming. Satoshi-tachi Quartet mesh well together

• NegaiRyuuShipping :p Interactions between and short battle with Kairyu and Lizardon was entertaining. Why did Dento not send out his Pokemon to meet Lizardon? I mean, I get he wasn't a fraction as excited as Iris but still it would have been nice. The blooming rivalry between Kairyu and Lizardon and their instant interactions on a dime were great. Kairyu loving show off his guns and Lizardon loves roaring. :3 Dragon Rush's animation was beautiful. I didn't actually expect Kairyu to tower over Lizardon, Iwane takes the Pokemon Zukan's height seriously. Those two were all at the end like, "You're strong, I'm strong. So let's just do this." Epic.

• fffffuuuu Waruvial or Zuruggu should have been there over Gantle. It's at least nice to know Kenharou is gonna have races on Okido-Hakase's ranch with the other birds.

Huh....this episode reminds me how long I've been watching this show and I still love it. :)

I think Charizard's return to the cast is the writers making up for Ash releasing it in early Johto, which kickstarted the hate toward the Johto saga in the first place 12 years ago.

Nice to see the writers make up for a past mistake even if its 12 years too late. Now if only Pidgeot would return.

Random fact: I noticed now that Tracey is so uninteresting that he had no eye changes...

I liked the episode for charizard and Ash's older pokemon in the flashback. Actually, the flashbacks are the better about this. Well, i kinda prefer the "charizard's burning ambition" original version, it feels more dramatci and Ash looks somewhat older there.

I think Charizard's return to the cast is the writers making up for Ash releasing it in early Johto, which kickstarted the hate toward the Johto saga in the first place 12 years ago.

Nice to see the writers make up for a past mistake even if its 12 years too late. Now if only Pidgeot would return.

You and your conspiracy theories. :p Writers write for children and merchandise, not anime nerds. They don't care whether we were bothered by Lizardon's Jouto release, plus Hinoarashi's era was Jouto and to advertise Jouto. So point = moot n_n

I forgot to mention, I liked how Dento compared Lizardon to Kairyu and Doryuzu and really liked seeing Pigeon. It's one of the more uniquely designed Gen 1 Pokemon. It needs to have Hurricane or Twister if it ever returned, though that seems like a pipe dream. But yeah, this show needs more Pigeon in-general. Doesn't have to be Satoshi's.

Last edited:
So why does Ash get nostalgic for Charizard when he sees a Charmander, yet he saw a Bulbasaur/Squirtle in this episode and didn't care to ask for them? Or what about that previous BW episode where those twins owned a Corphish and Buizel...the most blatant, "Hey these are two old water pokemon Ash owned, let's showcase them with filler COTD's!" thing?

Ash is very bias it seems. I find this strange since Bulbasaur was literally treated as his most trustworthy pokemon back in the day.

BW Ash was certainly in rare form this episode, he was actually pretty enjoyable. The most he has been in a while. The little things like him taking a breath before he sent out Charizard were really neat.

Last edited:
Charizard is the only pokemon that could make slash and wing attack as epic as it was 33>

So why does Ash get nostalgic for Charizard when he sees a Charmander, yet he saw a Bulbasaur/Squirtle in this episode and didn't care to ask for them? Or what about that previous BW episode where those twins owned a Corphish and Buizel...the most blatant, "Hey these are two old water pokemon Ash owned, let's showcase them with filler COTD's!" thing?

Ash is very bias it seems. I find this strange since Bulbasaur was literally treated as his most trustworthy pokemon back in the day.

Oh Scott, you and your negative remarks.

Though, I do agree with you on one thing, wish they'd replace all the BW Pokemon with some of his older ones.
Next series instead of getting all new Pokemon they should mix it up, some Kanto with Jhoto with AG Pokemon. Maybe add in a few Pokemon of the new region too but yah know.

edit;

Ash reminded me a bit of AG Ash here.

I liked every ones reaction to Iris thinking Charizard was a dragon type, wish some one {Mostly Ash} Would have said what a kid to her, ironic bum bum bum.

Wish I could watch the episode some where but pictures will do =]

This flashback episode kind of made me miss Brock, which is funny cuz I was one of the people who got sick and tired of him by the end of the D/P series, wonder if hey'll appear at the end of the BW series?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom