• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

Does anyone else think that Unfezant will stay at Oak's lab for good? Or do you guys think that it's still in rotation? Because I was curious about that since Ash decided to send it to Oak and all to make room for Charizard.

Unefezant will stay Oak's for good, me thinks. Two balloon popper's aren't required.

I'm just shocked that Charizard is co-existing with another fire starter on the team. Even back in Johto they made sure Charizard was gone before Cyndaquil came.

Its just unthinkable. I originally thought Ash would bring Gible back on his team like Phanpy in BF, because it was still developing and it was a dragon type so Iris would like it. But to completely ignore Gible to bring back a Pokemon that got more than enough screentime?

Its just really odd for the writers to do something like this. Best Wishes must be really poorly received if they have to take such drastic measures as put a popular Pokemon back on the main cast for no reason. There's not even any Kanto remakes coming, what does Charizard even have to do with the 5th gen or X and Y series?

If there's one positive we can take out of Ash's Unova team not being entirely up to scratch, it's that this will make it easier for Charizard to rack up some wins this saga. Realistically, Charizard only has Pignite and Pikachu to compete with on Ash's main roster for the title of "powerhouse", so that means he's likely to notch up a few wins. In fact, it will probably end up being the Pikachu and Charizard show from here onwards, Pignite will probably have to take a backseat in order to allow a real fire type powerhouse to take center stage.

Great episode btw, I thought I was hallucinating when I saw Pidgeot in the snow way out flashback. I convinced myself it wasn't him.

this was a good episode. i did enjoy the flash backs but after seeing every single flashback i just had to say "Isnt that cute? BUT ITS WRONG!!!!". I didnt think the digital animation did the flashbacks any service at all. Seeing Misty, Brock, Damian, Koga and all of the other pokemon in the newer style just ruined A LOT of the classic nostalgia and felt very slapped and rehashed. I do wish that they would have used the actuall footage of the episodes first runs because seeing BW and DP versions of the charcters in episodes that aired before 2000 just did not appeal to me. o felt using the new animation was just a mokery of how pokemon USED to be good. OH WELL...

THe battle was epic just like a battle between Ford fanitics and Chevy Fanitics. BUT A CERTIAN CHARCTER JUST HAD TO RUIN THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AUGHHHHHHHHHH! WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYY? THE WRITERS HAD A GOOD EPISODE AND YET THEY RUINED IT. I hope we will get to see the conclusion of the battle and not have it end up as the GS ball 4.0...

Does anyone remember they updated the flashbacks back in Battle Frontier when Charizard returned too? Except back then they were still images and not moving animated scenes.

Got the chance to finally watch the battle between Charizard and Dragonite. I was afraid of this then de-powering Charizard BUT it seemed pretty clear to me that Charizard was winning and was going to win except for that blasted N "N-terrupting" the freaking match!

But its a good thing because it reflects just how powerful Charizard is: The only way for Iris to even have a CHANCE with her best Pokemon was for Charizard to be powered down.

Remember how Pikachu's only attack that countered Quilava's Flame Wheel was Quick Attack because Volt Tackle got erased?? Well the same can be said about Slash vs. Dragon Rush...but seeing how Charizard just got back up like "That won't shit!" really got me excited and how he was roaring afterwards!

I guess this is the first time Iris or Cilan have heard anything about Ash having competed in other leagues? Max saw Ash in Johto, and Dawn already knew he had reserves as early as Roark.

When Iris was disappointed that Ash couldn't control his Charizard at first after it evolved, Cilan pointed out that she wasn't able to get Excadrill and Dragonite to obey her at first either. It seems the writers are pretending that Emolga's disobedience never happened.

I think Charizard's return to the cast is the writers making up for Ash releasing it in early Johto, which kickstarted the hate toward the Johto saga in the first place 12 years ago.

Charizard starred in two gym battles during Ash's journey across Johto, was the main pokemon in Ash's battles against Gary and Harrison in the Johto League, singlehandedly defeated a legendary pokemon in Ash's first Frontier Brain battle, and was used again (alongside Ash's other Kanto four) in Ash's final battle against Brandon.

The writers have more than compensated Charizard being given away a long time ago. In fact, based on how much Ash had actually used Charizard PRIOR to it being given away, it just goes to show that it was overused even back then. As a Charmander, it had victories over the wild Primeape that Bulbasaur and Squirtle were unable to damage at all, Koga's Golbat, Erika's Weepinbell, Chopper's Golem, and dozens of wild Exeggutor. As a Charizard, in addition to its victories over Blaine's Magmar and Tad's Poliwrath, it was used alongside Pikachu in a tag battle against Luana's Marowak and Alakazam. Charizard even got a victory over Drake's Electabuzz, despite a type disadvantage, and was the only pokemon (other than Ash's Pikachu) that managed to wound Drake's Dragonite. Ash's other two Kanto starters got far less exposure in comparison.

And even the Johto pokemon whose marketing presence encouraged the writers to have Ash give away his Kanto starters in the first place were overshadowed by Ash's Kanto acquisitions during Johto's final episodes.

One of Ash's birds is gonna get lucky tonight :D

Gary's Dodrio.

Last edited:
Did N seem oddly complacent about the whole Kanto Fair thing to you guys? It seems a bit OOC for him to be OK with seeing a Hitokage trotted out on stage to dance for the amusement of all the humans gathered there. It's also weird to see him ignore the Koiking Salesman shouting at the top of his lungs about how he's selling N's "friends" as if they were objects.

Did N seem oddly complacent about the whole Kanto Fair thing to you guys? It seems a bit OOC for him to be OK with seeing a Hitokage trotted out on stage to dance for the amusement of all the humans gathered there. It's also weird to see him ignore the Koiking Salesman shouting at the top of his lungs about how he's selling N's "friends" as if they were objects.

I was thinking that myself. I got the feeling that the writers were intentionally toning him down, so that he wouldn't distract people from the core of the episode. It did make me wonder what was the whole point of that segment of the episode though, with N not speaking up.

That is what I was thinking. He did seem to be OOC there. :eek:

That Fa... Husky Pikachu.
compare8.jpg

Found a reviewISH article about it on Kotaku.
http://kotaku.com/5989381/oh-my-how-the-pokmon-anime-has-changed

Man.
I just watched this episode. And I started shaking when Satoshi told Iris, Dento and N about his Hitokage/Lizardo/Lizardon. I shaked throughout the episode. And I'm still shaking.
This. Just. Wow.
I have no words to tell how happy and excited I am.

When Iris was disappointed that Ash couldn't control his Charizard at first after it evolved, Cilan pointed out that she wasn't able to get Excadrill and Dragonite to obey her at first either. It seems the writers are pretending that Emolga's disobedience never happened.
Disobedient /=/ Lazy

Character personality trait /=/ Problem

Emonga had no problem fighting against Bel, she just stopped when she got tired because that was the plot of the episode. It was never established as an ongoing problem.

So why does Ash get nostalgic for Charizard when he sees a Charmander, yet he saw a Bulbasaur/Squirtle in this episode and didn't care to ask for them? Or what about that previous BW episode where those twins owned a Corphish and Buizel...the most blatant, "Hey these are two old water pokemon Ash owned, let's showcase them with filler COTD's!" thing?

Ash is very bias it seems. I find this strange since Bulbasaur was literally treated as his most trustworthy pokemon back in the day.
Lizardon sells immense amounts of merchandise. It has nothing to do with Satoshi's "bias." Just a load of skewered fandom nonsense.

Last edited:
I dunno, Charmander seemed to be having fun on the stage until it hurt itself. I just assumed N was fine with it because it was a harmless activity that the Pokemon enjoyed.

And speaking of N, it looks like we didn't get any derpy scenes of him this time. We did get a scene where Ash has uneven eyes, though.

Charizard was just great and it was a fun Birthday Gift that I really enjoyed and I NO Complaints at all I think I understood why Ash researched Charmander because maybe he was showing it off to Cilan, N, and Iris who were curious about the Data that Cool Croc Thompson was going to say On the Pokedex.

That Fa... Husky Pikachu.
compare8.jpg

Found a reviewISH article about it on Kotaku.
Oh My, How the Pok

OMG...Ash/Satoshi's face in the flashback is so wrong. I don't care if it does match the Sugimori updates with the eyestyle. I don't like it as much...

In short, I prefer the original hand-drawn animation to the newer animation, excluding Pikachu's eyes, which I prefer in the newer animation.

To quote someone's reply from that article, "You can really tell which one is hand drawn, and which one is soulless computer animating."

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom