• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW116: Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!

Honestly, I think the new flashbacks have more soul. With the new eyes, the characters look like they have more emotion.

Great episode. I'm failing to hold all these awesomeness.

Also, from the link provided by Adyniz, I noticed they changed the Kanto's Joy too, as if every Joy in the world was dressed as Unova's Joy back then (and even nowadays, I dare to say):

compare3.jpg

Jeez, I didn't even realize they changed the Kanto Joy to the new one. LOL, that doesn't even make any sense.

*finally watches episode two days late*

... Wow. I honestly could not believe that Ash just told his Charizard's whole story to Cilan, Iris, and N. I'm still not quite sure what the occasion for Charizard's return is in the first place, but it was a thrilling ride see all of those flashbacks; it even went as far as to show obscure characters that have had no appearances in over a decade.

I was guessing that Iris just realized after the battle that Charizard is not part Dragon-type, and I can see I was right. That was good to see.

Jeez, I didn't even realize they changed the Kanto Joy to the new one. LOL, that doesn't even make any sense.

Just imagine if they showed Jenny with her BW design here! >_<.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Honestly, I think the new flashbacks have more soul. With the new eyes, the characters look like they have more emotion.

To each his own. I like them more in BW for that reason, sure, but in the flashbacks they feel out-of-place to me. I'll get used to it, but I'm not a fan of the change being reflected in all prior arcs too.

I will concede that the animation itself is infinitely cleaner and smoother in the flash-backs, but I don't feel it's as genuine or effort-filled as the hand-drawn style was myself.

Last edited:
Also, from the link provided by Adyniz, I noticed they changed the Kanto's Joy too, as if every Joy in the world was dressed as Unova's Joy back then (and even nowadays, I dare to say):
The Nurse Joy in this episode healed the Charmander that got hurt during its performance in the Kanto Fair. The Kanto Nurse Joy was only seen from behind, looking just as she should.

Great episode. The re-animated flashbacks were pretty nice.

On the side note, I loathe tumblr. Way to misinterpret an episode you haven't even seen. *facepalm*

I agree, I also double facepalm along with you. Most likely he was scanning Charmander for the pokedex because either iris asked him to or many other things. Unova ash may be dense and forgetful, but not that dang dense. Some people do need to at least watch the episode, cause it would have make no since for him not to know that charmander and have the flashbacks and bring charizard back to his team if that was the case.

The Nurse Joy in this episode healed the Charmander that got hurt during its performance in the Kanto Fair. The Kanto Nurse Joy was only seen from behind, looking just as she should.
Oh, my misunderstanding then. o_@

Now this is what i call well done episode when you want to explain someone past, and have easier time for younger viewers to understand from where older pokemon or character comes from and what are his connections with Ash.

Such things are exactly what this anime needs making Ash journey feel all that more believable, have story be filled with more continuity and treat it as entity which provides connections to past regions Ash traveled through and gives new viewers insight to better understand anime history. While giving some fanservice for older viewers which remained loyal toward show renewing their childhood memories.

This was great road trip to past being endearing to remind audience of one of most impacting pokemon Ash has telling its story and growth he went through from Charmander to Charizard. All those flashbacks of how it was caught, bond he established with Ash, fierce battles he went through against Koga, Gary, Claire or Noland really radiate with lot of nostalgia remembering me of good old days when this show was still young.

Not to mention i was absolutely delighted to see Ash past companions like Brock and especially Misty again, even if it was only flashback. However it was actual speaking flashback being a lot more than just appearance through token we get to see in DP.

Either way animation during whole episode was great and personally i liked remastered scenes from Kanto and Johto with characters and scenes looking more sharp and brighter than it was case before. And while some moments were slightly altered it wasn't too much of issue with me to spoil enjoyment i experienced from watching easily best episode BW series so far had imo.

Apex was definitely confront between Dragonite and Charizard which was obviously one step ahead during whole match with hurt shoulder from yellow dragon indicating who had upper hand. And it was nice to see good old lizard staying faithful to its prideful personality still liking to crisp Ash and prove it strength to others .

Hopefully writers won't stop with spiced up atmosphere and off thrown unpredictable surprises they started to deliver with all those references to past, rich flashback scenes and pleasant return of previous characters and pokemon serving as prelude toward some all time favorites like Brock and Misty returning in flesh.
If anything it would went nicely with current throwbacks to Kanto being fresh twist to see them updated and in action again.

FYI, newer episodes are still hand-drawn. They're just digitally colored.

Well, I think they did a pretty bad job animating it, regardless of that fact. Why did they use the Unova Joy for the older arcs Joy? Why does Misty look like a doll with no personality?

The only person who looks any better, IMO, is Damian. Ash looks weird with his updated eye-style in older scenes...eep, not good.

To be fair, that Kotaku article purposefully chose the most awkward looking screenshots they could find to push their "boy, this new stuff sure does looks awful, doesn't it?" narrative. And, like Silktree mentioned earlier, they actually do use the correct Joi during the flashback scenes.

I still agree that that new scenes look like ass, but there are better comparison images they could have chosen.

FYI, newer episodes are still hand-drawn. They're just digitally colored.

Well, I think they did a pretty bad job animating it, regardless of that fact. Why did they use the Unova Joy for the older arcs Joy? Why does Misty look like a doll with no personality?

The only person who looks any better, IMO, is Damian. Ash looks weird with his updated eye-style in older scenes...eep, not good.

Heh, I wasn't going to say anything but I agree with what you said about Misty. She looks more girlish or "doll-like" in those flashbacks compared to the Kanto shots. Especially that one image where she looks like she's staring blankly ahead.

Hell even the Misty from AG looks closer to her old design then the one in these flashbacks.

For once, I'll let my nostalgia run wild and say that this was fun to have happen.

She looks more girlish or "doll-like" in those flashbacks compared to the Kanto shots. Especially that one image where she looks like she's staring blankly ahead.

She just looks younger and like an actual 10 year old.

Eh...Misty/Kasumi looks so lifeless there, though. Like the animators weren't even trying to make her stand out. Well, at least they've shown her, and I'm thankful for that much. Some characters look fine (like Brock, Damian, and Pikachu), but others I'm not feeling like they did too well myself. I'll have to actually watch this episode thoroughly, but I didn't get a good feel from that article (though Dogasu said they pretty much picked the worst images from the flashback and made a compilation of them in that article). I'll give it another chance.

Last edited:
She looks more girlish or "doll-like" in those flashbacks compared to the Kanto shots. Especially that one image where she looks like she's staring blankly ahead.

She just looks younger and like an actual 10 year old.

Eh...Misty/Kasumi looks so lifeless there, though. Well, at least they've shown her, and I'm thankful for that much. Some characters look fine (like Brock, Damian, and Pikachu), but others I'm not feeling like they did too well myself.

I think you're thinking that she appeared lifeless because she didn't show much movement and expression in the shots, when it's just because she didn't have a single chance to flesh her personality out and get much attention like usual. She stayed in the background. The focus was on Charizard and on Ash, so I didn't expect much emotion from other characters.

Last edited:
The fact that they re-animated those old scenes just goes to show that this flashback was lovingly done. I loved every second of this episode. Misty and Brock and that scene of Ash with his Pokemon in the cave ;_;

I think Misty looked really cute, the only reason anyone doubted Misty was cute was because of they poor animation during her time on the show. This and AG proves that she's every bit as kawaii.

I think AG Ash stood out the most in terms of his appearances. It still probably my favorite outfit he wears. His BW outfit, and his Kanto are probably his worst.

Looking back it makes me also wish the Charizard/Articuno battle was animated by Iwane.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom