• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW116 "Burn up, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well an alternative is for the dub simply to have the narrator talk over the characters, so you don't hear anyone speaking. Like the narrator saying, "This is when Ash let Charizard go in the valley" like those last episode recaps. You wouldn't hear much character voice then.

I can see them quickly having Knotz do Misty though since she's barely going to be on-screen anyway, so for two lines consisting of, "Oh Charmander your tail" won't be a big deal. Even if its been like 7 years since Michelle Knotz last played Misty over half a decade ago, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get it back to that level.

I'd rather either of those two options tbh.

I wouldn't mind either of the two ways as well and I actually hope it's the first one.

I'm sure there are a few people in their mid to late 20's who grew up with the Original Series working for TPCi today, who would like the original voicing back too. I'm sure what it boils down to though is legality over nostalgia: whether or not that under Bill Rogers' contract, it still states that he is listed as the sole voice of Brock which will decide on what happens. Same with Sarah. I mean, I don't know any of the business side of the current voice actors/actresses, but depending on if they are contracted and how long their contracts extend for is what will more than likely happen for any of the flashbacks and it would make TPCi's life easier. I can't really make a good comment on who will voice Misty though, as she had one one single instance where she was voiced under TPCi's dub and that was close to 7 years ago.

I will say though, that if they do happen to get the original voices (live or ripped straight from the 4Kids dub), that would be pretty epic.

Hoping it's the first option myself. I mean, I have nothing personally against Bill, Sarah, or Michele, but it feels a bit disappointing to me that they may re-dub a scene the original voice cast did, you know? That's the only issue I have with this. Now, if Misty and company reappeared, I could pretend everyone aged (which is the only way I was able to look past the dub switch) and accept that much. Re-dubbing a scene the former cast did though, that's pushing it too much to me.

Coming from a biased fan, I have a lot of respect for the original 4Kids dub voice actors (as well as 4Kids for their dub of Pokemon at the least) and honestly I was devastated when TPCi decided to replace them all. That's the first time I ever began to lose my love for Pokemon.

Its rather obvious Veronica Taylor has no chance in hell in being used here, and likely not Eric Stuart as well.

Wouldn't Brock just keep his current voice?? He was here fairly recently.

I think most likely they'll all keep their current voices (I strongly prefer Ash, Misty, and Brock's original dub voices myself: if I had to choose, the one I like the most of the current voices for those characters would be Misty, but that's not really saying much as I still prefer the original dub voice).

Easiest solution for the dub: just get the narrator to voice-over the scene or have Ash describe the scenes instead of re-dubbing himself and all the others in older scenes.

Yes but we know they will have a speaking role or they wouldn't be on the voice actor list.

Unfortunately. If Bill Rogers can just sound younger as Brock and so can Sarah Natochenny as Ash, and Michele Knotz sounds more tomboyish, then I'll be fine with it. If they all sound really aged like in MoMP and DP (respectively), though, it's gonna feel really weird and well... -_-. Also, TPCi dubbers, do NOT write "o'course," "kay," "winnin'," or "trainin'," into the scripts for Ash, please. I'm begging you, none of that dialogue.

Technically they are still the same age so it wouldn't be too strange lol.

IKR? What's always bothered me is that honestly, both Ash and Brock always sound older than 10 and 15 (respectively) in the TPCi dub to me, which is why their current voices have always annoyed me so much over the years.

Meh, Ash didn't really sound all that mature in DP. Brock has always sounded more on the mature side though.

Well an alternative is for the dub simply to have the narrator talk over the characters, so you don't hear anyone speaking. Like the narrator saying, "This is when Ash let Charizard go in the valley" like those last episode recaps. You wouldn't hear much character voice then.

I can see them quickly having Knotz do Misty though since she's barely going to be on-screen anyway, so for two lines consisting of, "Oh Charmander your tail" won't be a big deal. Even if its been like 7 years since Michelle Knotz last played Misty over half a decade ago, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get it back to that level.

I wouldn't mind either of the two ways as well and I actually hope it's the first one.

I'm sure there are a few people in their mid to late 20's who grew up with the Original Series working for TPCi today, who would like the original voicing back too. I'm sure what it boils down to though is legality over nostalgia: whether or not that under Bill Rogers' contract, it still states that he is listed as the sole voice of Brock which will decide on what happens. Same with Sarah. I mean, I don't know any of the business side of the current voice actors/actresses, but depending on if they are contracted and how long their contracts extend for is what will more than likely happen for any of the flashbacks and it would make TPCi's life easier. I can't really make a good comment on who will voice Misty though, as she had one one single instance where she was voiced under TPCi's dub and that was close to 7 years ago.

I will say though, that if they do happen to get the original voices (live or ripped straight from the 4Kids dub), that would be pretty epic.

Hoping it's the first option myself. I mean, I have nothing personally against Bill, Sarah, or Michele, but it feels a bit disappointing to me that they may re-dub a scene the original voice cast did, you know? That's the only issue I have with this. Now, if Misty and company reappeared, I could pretend everyone aged (which is the only way I was able to look past the dub switch) and accept that much. Re-dubbing a scene the former cast did though, that's pushing it too much to me.

Coming from a biased fan, I have a lot of respect for the original 4Kids dub voice actors (as well as 4Kids for their dub of Pokemon at the least) and honestly I was devastated when TPCi decided to replace them all. That's the first time I ever began to lose my love for Pokemon.

Its rather obvious Veronica Taylor has no chance in hell in being used here, and likely not Eric Stuart as well.

I think most likely they'll all keep their current voices (I strongly prefer Ash, Misty, and Brock's original dub voices myself: if I had to choose, the one I like the most of the current voices for those characters would be Misty, but that's not really saying much as I still prefer the original dub voice).

Easiest solution for the dub: just get the narrator to voice-over the scene or have Ash describe the scenes instead of re-dubbing himself and all the others in older scenes.

Yes but we know they will have a speaking role or they wouldn't be on the voice actor list.

Unfortunately. If Bill Rogers can just sound younger as Brock and so can Sarah Natochenny as Ash, and Michele Knotz sounds more tomboyish, then I'll be fine with it. If they all sound really aged like in MoMP and DP (respectively), though, it's gonna feel really weird and well... -_-. Also, TPCi dubbers, do NOT write "o'course," "kay," "winnin'," or "trainin'," into the scripts for Ash, please. I'm begging you, none of that dialogue.

IKR? What's always bothered me is that honestly, both Ash and Brock always sound older than 10 and 15 (respectively) in the TPCi dub to me, which is why their current voices have always annoyed me so much over the years.

Meh, Ash didn't really sound all that mature in DP. Brock has always sounded more on the mature side though.

Ash started getting better in about Season 12, but in late 9-11 his voice was really annoying to me-- so deep! Natochenny definitely used to be my most hated voice actor in the TPCi dub, though. XD.

Brock...yeesh...he's the opposite: his current voice actor was actually really good in Season 9 and was really close to the older voice, but then in 10-most of 13 he sounded like he was ready to pounce on me in an alley or something. The voice acting from the actor got better, but the voice totally sucked IMO. Bill did starting getting better again in "The Brockster Is In!" and in "Memories are Made of Bliss!," though, and I noticed he wasn't nearly as deep as in beg-mid-DP.

Brock Opens His Eyes - YouTube

Last edited:

Ash started getting better in about Season 12, but in late 9-11 his voice was really annoying to me-- so deep! Natochenny definitely used to be my most hated voice actor in the TPCi dub, though. XD.

Brock...yeesh...he's the opposite: his current voice actor was actually really good in Season 9 and was really close to the older voice, but then in 10-most of 13 he sounded like he was ready to pounce on me in an alley or something. The voice acting from the actor got better, but the voice totally sucked IMO. Bill did starting getting better again in "The Brockster Is In!" and in "Memories are Made of Bliss!," though, and I noticed he wasn't nearly as deep as in beg-mid-DP.

Brock Opens His Eyes - YouTube

I seriously don't even know voice actors lol. The only voice actor I can't really stand is Meowth's japanese one.

It'll be a relief when this episode finally airs and is done and over with.

The highlight of the episode should be the Charizard Vs. Dragonite battle, everything else is either time-wasting filler (like that Charmander seemingly doing a Contest appeal?), or a random flashback sequence that his blown out of proportion. I'm not as much interesting in Charizard's return as I am in the possiblity of Ash bringing back more older pokemon, which is bound to happen anyway at some point. I very much doubt Charizard will be the only old poke for the entire arc.

Back on topic, Charizard vs. Dragonite! Charizard lost to a Dragonite before. Do you think this could be him redeeming himself?

What does a Dragonite owned by a different trainer 13 years ago have to do with this one?

I see it like Buizel. He didn't like Floatzel. All Floatzel. I think the writers could play off that Charizard doesn't like all Dragonite for that loss years ago. Kind of a Dragon's Pride in general.
And in the story, it wasn't 13 years ago. Ken knows how long it has been. (See what I did there? Replaced God with Ken.)

this is the one of the most hyped episodes in BW Season 2 Episode N and I'M HOPING IT LIVES UP TO IT

HA Thats cuz Charizard and Kanto Pokemon have returned, they are fan favorites I think.
Oooh, so close yet so far this episode is. I haven't been this excited for an episode in along time.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Misty's eyes got redrawn in those flashbacks like Ash's eyes did. It would probably look weird, but it might also look out of place if Misty's eyes were the same in the flashbacks while Ash's eyes got an update at the same time.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Misty's eyes got redrawn in those flashbacks like Ash's eyes did. It would probably look weird, but it might also look out of place if Misty's eyes were the same in the flashbacks while Ash's eyes got an update at the same time.

Why would they change it? Dawn's eyes were the same. And Misty's only going to be seen for what....30-45 seconds? What would be the point to change something that's on screen for such a minimal amount of time?

Misty already had detailed, colored eyes. They changed Ash's because, unlike the other characters, he had plain, black pupils and no eye color.

Why would they change it? Dawn's eyes were the same. And Misty's only going to be seen for what....30-45 seconds? What would be the point to change something that's on screen for such a minimal amount of time?

Yes, especially since they didn't change Oak's eyes.

Misty already had detailed, colored eyes. They changed Ash's because, unlike the other characters, he had plain, black pupils and no eye color.

Agreed, and there's no reason to bother doing an eye design change for a character who likely isn't going to be seen again after this flashback for god knows how many episodes or years afterwards.

In fact Ash's eye design change only happened because they're just rehashing Ash's BW model with his old clothes.

It'll be a relief when this episode finally airs and is done and over with.

The highlight of the episode should be the Charizard Vs. Dragonite battle, everything else is either time-wasting filler (like that Charmander seemingly doing a Contest appeal?), or a random flashback sequence that his blown out of proportion. I'm not as much interesting in Charizard's return as I am in the possiblity of Ash bringing back more older pokemon, which is bound to happen anyway at some point. I very much doubt Charizard will be the only old poke for the entire arc.

Oy, your the only one blowing the flashback out of proportion lol.

That's because you're basing it from here and Serebii, if you look at various twitters and tumblr accounts from people who don't follow the anime too closely, they actually think Misty/Brock are returning to the cast. I personally blame Bulbanews for the misleading title that's getting re-tweeted on various accounts across the internet.

Oh well, after the episode airs and reality sets in, we'll be back to business as usual.

That's because you're basing it from here and Serebii, if you look at various twitters and tumblr accounts from people who don't follow the anime too closely, they actually think Misty/Brock are returning to the cast. I personally blame Bulbanews for the misleading title that's getting re-tweeted on various accounts across the internet.

Oh well, after the episode airs and reality sets in, we'll be back to business as usual.

Does it really matter that they think Misty/Brock are returning to the cast? Anyone could easily find out by reading up about this episode or actually reading the link on Bulbanews that they're just going to appear in a flashback, so I don't see the point in getting upset over people getting excited over. Even without the issue from the title, people were most likely going to assume that this means something big just because Misty hasn't appeared for years and Brock didn't have any lines when Dawn talked about him, so I imagine that this would have made people excited regardless. Personally, I still don't really care that much, even though I'm glad that Brock will have some speaking lines this time around, and Charizard's appearance sounds cooler to me anyway, but I still don't really see the need to complain about how other people, especially those who aren't even following the anime too closely, are reacting to this news.

Why people can't express that Misty and Brock are returning? Yes, in flashbacks, but remember:
-Misty hasn't seen talking since 2005 in Japan. There's Misty fans who like seeing her again. And fans who really doidn't watch the OS also want to see Misty although for a few seconds.

-Brock is a character that hasn't been in a cameo yet. People want to see Brock speaking again although it's a Kanto version of him. And if there's a cameo of him, it won't be until at least 25th April.

-We are from two years where everything is new. Now that older character can come, we are expecting who older character can come before Best Wishes ends before the XY series starts (Although it's confirmed that old Pokemon will be in it since day 1).

-And finally, I don't feel about the VA although there's a moment that I thought Misty and Brock would appear on TV. Personally, if appears a VA List like this because Paul is appearing, I see this:

Ash, Pikachu, Cilan, Iris, Axew, Jessie/Snivy/Chimchar, James/Torterra, Meowth, Brock/Infernape/Staravia, Dawn, Piplup, Oshawott, Bianca, Paul/Buizel, Electivire, Barry, Staraptor/Gliscor, Minccino, Lucario, Cameron, Brandon, Reggie, Volkner, Joy (Sinnoh), Aipom, Buneary, Emboar/Dragonite, Samurott, Narration.

And the only characters that I see is the VA of the main characters, Team Rocket and Narrator, I thought that the DP TRio will return because excitement... at least, at first. Remembers that when the VA is long, all vAs will appear but not the roles of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom