• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW120: The White Ruins! Satoshi VS N!!

This was a Really Good Episode and I thought it was well done and it had Magnezone in this Episode again so I was happy and this got a 10/10.

It was a pretty good set-up for the climax. But did they have to bring up Araragi's gag over and over again? I bet they wanted some comic relief in such a dramatic episode, but it got really annoying.

What was with that pipe Looker was carrying, anyway? Was it some special thing, or was it just some random pipe he picked up?

Awesome episode. Sure, it was not so much Satoshi VS N, but it was absolutely adorable. It's perfect for fangirling :p N's too adorable, I'm really going to miss him when the arc is over. I especially loved his reaction to Satoshi calling him friend.

And the music was pretty cool throughout the episode too! It's a much better set-up for the climax than I expected, although I'm already fearing the writers will fuck it up...

I want to know what was said during the thing with what was either the White Hero or the King, I don't know which, and the dialogue between Ash and N. Otherwise, I'm not as enthused as everyone else is, except for finally getting to the end of this thing.

The Ash and N interaction was perfect. Actually, it was beyond perfect, it was GODLY. Their little heart-to-heart about their respective views on Pokémon was too great, eeeee!

What was with that pipe Looker was carrying, anyway? Was it some special thing, or was it just some random pipe he picked up?

It was a pipe picked up from the ground. Where everybody and their Pokémon have walked, god-knows where they've had their feet last! Know how much bacteria's on that thing?! And Looker held that pipe near Angie's throat! One more inch and she'd get a serious dirty chill from that piece of metal, that's inhumane.

Can't believe all that sudden violence on this show, I'll never expose my imaginary children to something like that!

This would've been a really good episode IF they didn't smash Cedric's running gag over and over again. The first 2 times were fun, but I got annoyed by it after a while. Doesn't mean I hate the episode, as I generally like it. The interaction between Ash and N was fantastic and the set up is pretty good too.

Also, Angie is for some reason getting on my nerves. Probably because it's pretty much a female Trip in a Team Plasma outfit? Idk

I do with the series hadn't gotten to the point where a freakin' pipe is the most lethal weapon they're willing to show.

You know that if this was an original series episode Handsome would have been holding a sword at Angie's throat.

No he wouldn't, it'd be pretty out of character for the InterPol officer to straight-up threaten a girl by holding a sword up to her throat, even in the original series.

The only reason Handsome would have a sword would be if he picked up some artifact and I don't think he's as careless as the Professor about grabbing ancient artifacts and waving them around wily-nily. A first series Handsome would be pointing a gun at her throat, no doubt.

Regardless of the weapon used, wow, he was very aggressive in that scene. It was rather disturbing. Perfectly understandable, of course.

I only now got to see this episode and wow, it did not disappoint! What a fun and exciting episode!

I actually really like his running gag. If only because Satoshi and friends had really funny reactions (seriously, watch them frame-by-frame, there's always one frame where the kids all have really funny expressions just before they fall down) to all his trolling and he got me one time too. ^^;;

N looked so moved by Satoshi calling him his friend so confidently when the Professor asked who N was. ;^;

It was also cute how N still called Satoshi "Satoshi-kun" while he was trying to shake him off, but Satoshi kept running after him, "I want to talk to N-san some more!"

I couldn't believe it when N let go of the Light Stone so he could hold onto Satoshi and try to rescue him instead, that was just-- wow.

N and Satoshi's conversation while they were stuck down there was really lovely. It's also so typical of Satoshi to just want to meet a Legendary to befriend it. He just wants to learn more about and meet many more Pokemon to befriend them and N seems rather conflicted because he really can see now that there are a lot of people who consider Pokemon friends, companions, and even family, but when he took the Light Stone from the Professor, it seems he really was worried that Reshiram would burn everything down in its anger and while humans have made mistakes deserving of punishment, what would happen to the Pokemon who did nothing wrong? Something like that.

Speaking of Reshiram, I got the feeling that like Meloetta, the anime is writing Reshiram as female. Describing it as possessing a “motherly kindness” before it lost its heart to anger sounds like they're hinting at that.

Everybody and their mother probably also noticed this, but I wanna show it anyway.

White legend:
190_zpscb94aa5b.jpg

196_zps7b277eee.jpg

Black legend:
061_zps04b87f1d.jpg

411_zpsab414436.jpg

You writers aren't subtle at all.

Forgive me, I can only give a rough translation and there are some parts in their conversation that I don't understand, but because there are so many people wondering what Satoshi and N discussed...

N was asking Satoshi about the relationship between Pokemon and humans. Plasma-dan had him believe they were all the same for the sake of their goals, but in truth "some coexist like family, others like coworkers, and there were Pokemon who were forsaken.
The true nature of the relationship between humans and Pokemon is so much more diverse. However, unlike me, Helena and Verbena do not know of anything beyond their sealed-off world." I think he expresses a desire for them to learn more about the world too.

He calls Pikachu over as he picks him up, then goes on wondering why Pokemon exist in their world. What is the point? And eeeeverything else, except for Satoshi's little speech about how he thinks Pokemon are precious friends was too difficult for me to understand ( also too difficult for Satoshi, who's just like "I don't know about all that stuff, but I just know Pokemon are my precious friends!" ), so N repeats it, "friends?"

Satoshi: "Through lonely times, sad times, and incredibly trying times... Pokemon were always by my side. That's why I think of them as friends and want to meet more of them!"
N: "Why do you want to meet them?"
Satoshi: "'Cause if I met more of them, I'd be able to get along with them better! That's why I thought that" something about the Light Stone and Reshiram "I'd be able to befriend Reshiram!"

EDIT: So he can get along with them better is a bit simplistic and makes it sound like Satoshi's just repeating himself, the wording he uses actually implies it's more like to reconcile with them or make up for how other humans have mistreated Pokemon. o/

N: "Reshiram?" And then, N smiles.

Last edited:
Satoshi: "'Cause if I met more of them, I'd be able to get along with them better! That's why I thought that" something about the Light Stone and Reshiram "I'd be able to befriend Reshiram!"

EDIT: So he can get along with them better is a bit simplistic and makes it sound like Satoshi's just repeating himself, the wording he uses actually implies it's more like to reconcile with them or make up for how other humans have mistreated Pokemon.
I don't buy it. Ash has never shown signs of wanting to befriend Pokémon to make up for other people's mistreatment of them. He is much more simple-minded than that, which is actually excusable considering that the writers have never before implied that there is a global problem of people forsaking their Pokémon.

The games had this problem, as well. But here it just reeks of being unbelievable.

Last edited:

EDIT: So he can get along with them better is a bit simplistic and makes it sound like Satoshi's just repeating himself, the wording he uses actually implies it's more like to reconcile with them or make up for how other humans have mistreated Pokemon.
I don't buy it. Ash has never shown signs of wanting to befriend Pokémon to make up for other people's mistreatment of them. He is much more simple-minded than that, which is actually excusable considering that the writers have never before implied that there is a global problem of people forsaking their Pokémon.

The games had this problem, as well. But here it just reeks of being unbelievable.

This is true, he's usually pretty straightforward and simple, but maybe he put that idea forward along with his "to make friends" goal because he's just going off what N said... besides, Satoshi does have a bit of a habit of picking up abused/abandoned Pokemon every region (Hitokage/Charmander, Lapras, Hikozaru/Chimchar, Pokabu/Tepig). It's not a HUGE problem, nowhere near as widespread as N was lead to believe, but it is one that exists and Satoshi is definitely against! Besides, he's also always fighting the Rockets when he runs into them trying to capture/steal Pokemon and they're definitely common too! Poachers too and Hunter J... it's more believable if we count Pokemon otherwise betrayed by humans in that catagory, not just being abandoned by their trainers, I think.

But I guess that'd be heading into theory/headcanon territory, huh? ^o^;

Last edited:
Ah. I guess that is interesting, even though that makes it sound like Ash should be a Pokemon Ranger rather than a trainer. (being the anime, I'm sure they will never realize this) This is the kind of thing I knew would result from Ash and N meeting, but of all things, I did not expect N to have a point, but the anime will never touch that either. Not to mention that neither of these anticipate pokemon legitimately wanting to cause trouble. I know the anime will never do this. It echoes the sentiment Ash had for Meowth, and I still do not like it. I suppose either way, pokemon would have their reasons, so to even stop them, one would have to understand them. This is not befriending, though. It is worth pondering whether legends punish innocent creatures or not, even if it is unintentional. I suppose it is like a war, you will be unable to prevent innocent beings being involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy hell, when did N suddenly learn how to do sweet ninja jumps? Is he Ryu Hayabusa's long lost son or something?

I did however really like that scenes where N didn't hesitate to go help Ash, and when he let go of Reshiram to save Ash. N is appropriately quick when it comes to making decisions.

As I expected, the "Ash VS N" thing were more a dialogue than a debate, not that I don't prefer that way, though I didn't understand their talking at all.

And, as much as I hate Iris, I thought her scene yelling at Ash's name cute and found myself pleased to see your suffering!11.

Episode N feels looong, not long in a bad way but long in a good way. In a way it feels as though we've gotten some nicely knit insight on N's character, what he stands for, his past, and other prominent characters. The first part of a three-part climax and ending to Episode N, without a doubt, I enjoyed the ride but all villain arcs. gotta end sooner or later. As expected all hell pretty much broke loose in a matter of minutes of finding the Light Stone, that's not all what made this episode entertaining. Gotta love Araragi-Hakase and his natural sense of zany behavior, I don't think I've ever found a professor to actually be amusing to watch up until now. He's a screwball all around and energetic. Handsome acting like a cop should and pulling off some major acrobatic-like movements like that was great. My biggest annoyance with this episode was how Iris and Dento's Pokemon pretty much got instagibbed by the frenzied Golugh and thus they were rendered helpless.

Akuroma will never cease to be an awesome character in my eyes. He's pretty much a mad scientist, he's not a person out to do malicious things but very morally gray. He does what he has to for his work that's that. At the same time there's just something entertaining about his behavior and facial expressions that we need more in this show. It's good to see there's more to his character than the typical "bad guy does bad things!" scenario we've gotten from past villains like J who was just out for money and generic villain-ry. The main event of this episode was, naturally, N and Satoshi clashing in their opinions. I'll enjoy that conversation more when I can fully understand what they mean but from what I did know it was an entertaining exchange. Just gotta love how N and Satoshi are just using the Light Stone - Reshiram itself - as a light source while they're trapped. It had some nice set-up for the inevitable and they really hit the ground running. Next episode looks like it's gonna be even better.

Haven't mentioned this yet but the Angelina and Brad Pitt reference was nice too. :p

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom