• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW127: Phantom Island! The Zoroark in the Fog!!

Cute episode, I liked it, even though we've gotten the "evil Pokémon that's not really evil" before.

And that ending update is.....interesting....?

I've only seen the screenshots from this episode, but I can tell Team Rocket was just there without any relevance to the plot... I guess just like in the old days, no? As long as they provide some good comic relief I'm fine with it.

And that ending update is.....interesting....?
Ending update? Can someone explain this please? o.o

Ending update? Can someone explain this please? o.o
tumblr_mn8yioHWKs1qbgiw9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mn8yioHWKs1qbgiw9o2_500.jpg

Gabo 2oo said:
I can tell Team Rocket was just there without any relevance to the plot... I guess just like in the old days, no?

I really wish people would stop exaggerating. While it's true that they really had no relevance to the plot in this episode, that's not something that happens nearly as often as people like to pretend it does.

It was an alright episode I guess. Nothing too special.

I did love the scene where Ash mistook the restaurant owner for a Snorlax. No wait, that man generally was probably the best thing in this episode.

Surprisingly, not a bad episode at all. Actually, this episode was good in quite a few areas. The first half of the episode kinda fell flat for me, didn't really care for a lot of aspects of it like Team Rocket's really pointless role.(Though I'm getting better at tuning them out and am just tired of complaining about them every week anyway.) A few of the comedic moments weren't really my cup of tea either and Satoshi thought that shop owner was a Kabigon.(Easter egg reference to the past for you "old things" fanatics.) The Kuitaran scene was intense and I simply liked seeing one of those given we haven't seen many of them at all in this show.

What I really liked about this episode was the emotion and music, it all fit so well in the later parts of the episode. The exposition on Zoroark's past with Joy and it throwing a fit while getting its injured ankle wrapped and having to be partly comforted and restrained by Tabunne was really sweet. The music during the scene with the poachers and Zoroark fit really well too along with the music during Kibago's cheering, it had a nice sense of remembrance about it that conveyed each moment of care and the way Joy was able to get through to Zoroark's heart nicely. I'm glad Zoroark and Zorua appeared, love their designs and the Pokemon themselves.

Welp, they did a Pokemon Live Caster on Ononokusu, never thought they would get to it. Not a ground-breaking episode but the emotion makes up for the early parts flaws in a way.

Gabo 2oo said:
I can tell Team Rocket was just there without any relevance to the plot... I guess just like in the old days, no?

I really wish people would stop exaggerating. While it's true that they really had no relevance to the plot in this episode, that's not something that happens nearly as often as people like to pretend it does.

Yeah, it was usually Team Rocket who helped resolve the COTD plots back in the old days. You know, introducing the conflict which usually helped COTD overcome their respective problem.

Here, have a fangirl-worthy screenshot of Dento flower arranging. :p Gotta admit that was an amusing scene for him.

tumblr_mn8yhbiCMH1s3at53o1_500.jpg

So I finnally got to watch the episode. It was a little akward, but I think a lot of us knew it was going to be that way. So, this Parker only got like 40 seconds of screentime. It's a shame since his was my favourite Parker design so far... (Also BW128 Parker confirmed to have orange collar.)

Gabo 2oo said:

Yeah, it was usually Team Rocket who helped resolve the COTD plots back in the old days. You know, introducing the conflict which usually helped COTD overcome their respective problem.

Just to clarify, by "the old days" I didn't mean that Team Rocket was irrelevant in the past episodes. I'm comparing all of this with the earlier Best Wishes series, where Team Rocket showed up only for big plans in episodes focusing on them instead of just following Pikachu around (like they promised to do before they were brainwashed by the seriousness).

Even so, I think this is one of the best Team Rocket's comedic participations lately, but I don't think that's a big accomplishent. At least they almost, almost had a fearhug and their Yana Kanji this time was great, even if recycled. Do anyone knows if the music used during the giant Meowth chasing scene has been heard before?

In the Ash-side of things, I loved the Snorlax guy scene (and how Moses apparently helped the twerps to cross to Gen'ei Island), but everything after the flashback illusions felt rushed, when the farewell scene showed up I was like "seriously? that's all?". In any case, it was a very impressive episode, not the typical "Let's help CoTD" plot and the music and emotion really fit very well here. Was there any explanation given about Zoroark talking? Aside from the movie Zorua, before this, Luke's Zorua or the movie Zoroark didn't comunicated like that, and this Zoroark didn't talked unless it was transformed.

About the updated ending, I don't usually like this kind of stuff, but I was happy about the placement of the new shots. Specially because I hated the original compilation scene and the Eeveelution scene felt completely random before this. The animated Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku were a bit weird drawn, though.

Last edited:
This DA season have some really decent fillers, right? At least I've liked them so far.

Do anyone knows if the music used during the giant Meowth chasing scene has been heard before?
It didn't sounded familiar to me, and I'm quite familiar with Pocket Monsters bgm.

Was there any explanation given about Zoroark talking? Aside from the movie Zorua, before this, Luke's Zorua or the movie Zoroark didn't comunicated like that, and this Zoroark didn't talked unless it was transformed.

The movies and the show aren't really consistent on the talking Pokemon thing. In Black 2/White 2, the Zoroark in Lostlorn forest is able to talk during the backpacker illusion, similar to this episode.

Though the Nurse Joy/Tabunne scene was for comedic effect, shouldn't Zoroark have been able to show both of them together like it did in the flashback? Well, I shouldn't expect the anime to make sense all the time.

Though the Nurse Joy/Tabunne scene was for comedic effect, shouldn't Zoroark have been able to show both of them together like it did in the flashback? Well, I shouldn't expect the anime to make sense all the time.

But when it did that, Zoroark basically transported the people to a full-visual illusion as a flashback, all while it was still present. During the Joy-san/Tabunne scene, it was using Illusion to transfrom itself instead of transporting the humans to the memories. One could say "But since Zoroark is able to transport people into full-visual illusions and all that stuff, why it didn't do that when Ash and the others entered in the Pokémon Center in the first place?". I understood that Zoroark didn't did that because it wasn't expecting anybody to come in inside, and because its Illusion effect is completely noticeable, it just had to improvise by transforming itself without anyone watching it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom