• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW130: Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

One of my favorite episodes, funny enough even though these Kanto flashbacks seem to be episodes to gain more ratings due to BW series loss I've been loving them. Also, loved Ash getting all emotional and he has the worst luck ever! Running into a tree to catch a Pokemon? Ouch, give the guy a break manXD

Just watched the final scene of this episode... does anyone remember the last time that Satoshi's hat cast a shadow over his eyes to signify he was upset? Was nice to see again.

Just watched the final scene of this episode... does anyone remember the last time that Satoshi's hat cast a shadow over his eyes to signify he was upset? Was nice to see again.

I wanna say the last time was way, way, back in DP061....when Ash saw how upset Dawn was when she lost.....oh god I know by memory....

Forever-Alone-Yao.png

...I'm totally gonna die alone.

I liked the episode. Originally, I was kinda bummed when it seemed that it'd just be flashbacks of Butterfree, but it turned out to be a cute episode, so I don't mind.

And to those complaining about Satoshi evolving it so quickly, didn't his Caterpie evolve into Butterfree in like 2 episodes? And he had only just become a trainer back then.

I liked the episode. Originally, I was kinda bummed when it seemed that it'd just be flashbacks of Butterfree, but it turned out to be a cute episode, so I don't mind.

And to those complaining about Satoshi evolving it so quickly, didn't his Caterpie evolve into Butterfree in like 2 episodes? And he had only just become a trainer back then.

Bug-types have always evolved fast in the show, and this isn't even the first time a Caterpie has evolved all the way into Butterfree within an episode... hell, this episode took place over a week while the last time had Caterpie evolving twice in less than an hour.

It's funny how Ash can evolve a wild caterpie twice in one episode, but it takes him 75 for Tepig and has yet to evolve snivy in over 100.

Someone give this guy a reward!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Despite the fact that Caterpie and Bug-type Pokemon who are similar to it have been said to evolve faster?

True but still the point still stands that this is not the FIRST time for example The Problem with Paras. Yes, it is a Grass/BUG type but also remember it doesn't evolve to its final form at level 10 like a Butterfree it evolves at level 24 if I'm not mistaken. This happened in one episode and all because of fake battles from Pikachu, Weezing, Arbok and Meowth and the only legit win was stabbing Charmeleon's chest when it was about to use a Flamethrower and BAM it evolves!

How about Cheryl's Burmy evolving into Mothim in ONE episode and that was a freshly caught Pokemon.

In early Hoenn, the Nurse Joy's Torchic that evolved into Combusken in one episode and that was a starter Pokemon. The only "legit" reasoning I can think of was that it beat some of Ash's Pokemon I think it was Corphish and being experienced Pokemon I guess the Ex. Points from them fueled it to level 16 haha

And there are a few more. Even Max helped a Poochyena evolve teaching it to use Bite in one episode!

So, its not just Bug type who usually get a speedy evolution in a single episode while its takes 70+ episodes for one of the main characters Pokemon in the series. What gets me is when a 1st stage Pokemon like Chimchar or Snivy defeats a fully evolved Pokemon like Metagross, Abamosnow or something like that and it does not evolved after the battle.

True but still the point still stands that this is not the FIRST time for example The Problem with Paras. Yes, it is a Grass/BUG type but also remember it doesn't evolve to its final form at level 10 like a Butterfree it evolves at level 24 if I'm not mistaken.

Levels don't really count.

This happened in one episode and all because of fake battles from Pikachu, Weezing, Arbok and Meowth and the only legit win was stabbing Charmeleon's chest when it was about to use a Flamethrower and BAM it evolves!

Maybe it already had a good amount of strength beforehand, and they're different Pokemon anyway.

How about Cheryl's Burmy evolving into Mothim in ONE episode and that was a freshly caught Pokemon.

Being freshly caught doesn't matter. If it has a good amount of strength beforehand that is enough for it to evolve, then it can evolve.

In early Hoenn, the Nurse Joy's Torchic that evolved into Combusken in one episode and that was a starter Pokemon. The only "legit" reasoning I can think of was that it beat some of Ash's Pokemon I think it was Corphish and being experienced Pokemon I guess the Ex. Points from them fueled it to level 16 haha

Levels don't matter, and maybe the starter Torchic was just a bit more stronger than usual due to its nature. Or bad writing.

And there are a few more. Even Max helped a Poochyena evolve teaching it to use Bite in one episode!

Which I'm sure already had strength beforehand and was close to evolving anyway.

So, its not just Bug type who usually get a speedy evolution in a single episode while its takes 70+ episodes for one of the main characters Pokemon in the series. What gets me is when a 1st stage Pokemon like Chimchar or Snivy defeats a fully evolved Pokemon like Metagross, Abamosnow or something like that and it does not evolved after the battle.

Hey, this is the anime. It's definitely different from the games, and it all really depends on the plot.

True but still the point still stands that this is not the FIRST time for example The Problem with Paras. Yes, it is a Grass/BUG type but also remember it doesn't evolve to its final form at level 10 like a Butterfree it evolves at level 24 if I'm not mistaken.

This happened in one episode and all because of fake battles from Pikachu, Weezing, Arbok and Meowth and the only legit win was stabbing Charmeleon's chest when it was about to use a Flamethrower and BAM it evolves!

Maybe it already had a good amount of strength beforehand, and they're different Pokemon anyway.

Being freshly caught doesn't matter. If it has a good amount of strength beforehand that is enough for it to evolve, then it can evolve.

Levels don't matter, and maybe the starter Torchic was just a bit more stronger than usual due to its nature. Or bad writing.

Which I'm sure already had strength beforehand and was close to evolving anyway.

Hey, this is the anime. It's definitely different from the games, and it all really depends on the plot.

The whole levels don't count thing is used loosely especially with Brock explaining in detail "A Bite To Remember" about the different ways of evolution considering the level of a Pokemon helps to determine when they evolve, in "Dig Those Digletts" Jessie reads a book about how the more experience points a Pokemon gains the closer it is to evolving.

That was cowardly Paris and by the way it reacted by being hit with a tiny Water Gun and Thundershock it fainted on contact. So, I doubt it had many experience points at all.

Plot seems to conquer all but still it really isn't clear which one of us has the correct answer.

Attachments

• 3673_340072016095648_1894459230_n.png
    3673_340072016095648_1894459230_n.png
    611.2 KB · Views: 2,548
Last edited:

The whole levels don't count thing is used loosely especially with Brock explaining in detail "A Bite To Remember" about the different ways of evolution considering the level of a Pokemon helps to determine when they evolve, in "Dig Those Digletts" Jessie reads a book about how the more experience points a Pokemon gains the closer it is to evolving.

That was cowardly Paris and by the way it reacted by being hit with a tiny Water Gun and Thundershock it fainted on contact. So, I doubt it had many experience points at all.

Plot seems to conquer all but still it really isn't clear which one of us has the correct answer.

That was ages ago in Kanto, and I'm not sure if that's from an English dub added line or the Japanese dub.

It just really depends on the plot of an episode, and in a filler like the Paras episode, some exceptions are made.

This episode met and exceeded my expectations. Not only was it absolutely adorable, but it was also extremely entertaining and I loved every minute of it.
But, more importantly- has anyone made a gif of Ash slamming into that tree yet?

I wanna say the last time was way, way, back in DP061....when Ash saw how upset Dawn was when she lost.....oh god I know by memory....

...I'm totally gonna die alone.
Actually it was when he was in the Sinnoh League fighting Latios and Swellow has just lost, Ash dipped his head just like in this episode for a second when he looked at the scoreboard and saw he only had Pikachu left.

Is it just me or was that Metapod insanely mobile? I'd have mashed the B button if my Metapod could move like that.

I don't like the evolution animations for it - I much preferred how that was handled in the past by the cocoon being created with the string shot and then hatching from it - sure that makes the mid battle dramatic evolution a bit harder, but it seems more natural. The animations certainly look fancy, but not every evolution should just be glow.

Regardless, really great episode. Da is on a roll - hopefully this is the tone they take into XY.

This was an enjoyable episode, I actually felt like the emotion in this episode and all the bonding scenes are what did it for me. The music and scoring it also commendable in its own right. The concept of Migration Island - an island that is the gathering place for migrating Pokemon like Swanna, Butterfree and Tyltalis(And its pre-evolution.) was a nice real-world reference. Inclusion of more migrating bird and butterfly Pokemon like Agehunt would have been nice. Though I'm happy with what I got because generally real life references in Pokemon and treating them like animals in those regards are far and few between.

The Caterpie was quite adorable, its voice-acting and general mannerisms were refreshing with it being lazy as well as gluttonous. A sharp difference from Satoshi's old Caterpie since it was portrayed as being a Pokemon with low confidence and occasionally crying. I liked how Hahakomori appeared since he is a Bug-type too and Pokemon species known for parental actions and naturally playing a role in Caterpie's growth felt more than fitting. I noticed how at the beginning Satoshi was gung-ho on making the Caterpie evolve by battle training but changed up his methods and simply tried to evolve it by gradual light training and bonding. The scene with the Ringuma felt like a breakthrough scene where the Caterpie has come nice amount in strength where its willing to take on a significantly larger Pokemon. It's a nice highlight of Satoshi's caring fashion and the small flashback moment and allusions were a nice way of reinstating the love he's kept for Butterfree even after all this time.

It's amazing how the drawing looked so on point at some moments and so atrocious at others. Mainly at the end of the episode with Team Rocket, Psybeam and Butterfree's flapping wings with Pikachu jumping on its back for examples. The animation for Trancell's evolution was beautiful but the Butterfree evolution animation felt like step down in effort. Looking at the Cocoon's evolution animation you can see the physical change so vividly and beautifully, shame that the bland episode had such beautiful animation and the entertaining one gets the opposite.

Speaking of Team Rocket they were largely unneeded once again, their roles could have easily have been filled by a wild Pokemon of the day like earlier in the episode with Ringuma. I honestly do think the writers are going to put them in every episode again unfortunately. Pretty cool to see the newly-evolved Butterfree could use Psybeam and Confusion and seeing Satoshi commanding it despite not owning it officially, demonstrating the connection they had.

Migration Island certainly seemed....empty...as if Satoshi-tachi had the whole place as their own private island the whole week they were there. Never realized how mobile a cocoon Pokemon could be. Shame the String Shot rendition of Caterpie evolving couldn't be worked into here, it feels more natural and truly makes it feel more like a unique event and milestone. The final scene with Satoshi shedding tears because he likely remembered his own Butterfree was actually a heart string puller and the trumpet music tied the scene together well. We rarely see this kid cry or show and overly out there emotions so that was refreshing.

The animation was mundane but the episode was great. It showed Satoshi as a good trainer outside of actual combat and battle more so in the regard of how much he's willing to invest his time in another Pokemon and how much he loves them in-general. He got into the element of it all with Caterpie and helped it evolve into a Butterfree, we saw him doing it one step at a time, day by day, minute by minute gradually even with its lazy attitude. His considerate nature shined well in this episode.

Druddigon said:
The final scene with Satoshi shedding tears because he likely remembered his own Butterfree was actually a heart string puller and the trumpet music tied the scene together well.
He likely remembered his own? What did he say? Because if he merely promised to find this Butterfree again, that doesn't really allude to the original Butterfree.

He likely remembered his own? What did he say? Because if he merely promised to find this Butterfree again, that doesn't really allude to the original Butterfree.
Well he has trained wild Pokemon before without crying when they've left, so presumably because a Butterfree is special, it hit him more to see it go than other Pokemon.

Well he has trained wild Pokemon before without crying when they've left,
Has he? Could you remind me which ones?

so presumably because a Butterfree is special, it hit him more to see it go than other Pokemon.
I agree, but I don't see why something like this should be left vague. Why did Ash only mention his Butterfree once?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom