• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW131: Satoshi and Iris's Severed Relationship!? The Path of Separation!!

This was a pretty good episode, didn't expect to see it told from Dento's perspective. He was really likable this episode and I feel like his moments of insight added some more to it. Human interaction episodes are a dime a dozen so it's nice to see them more often, especially not mainly centralized around Pokemon but people. What I mainly liked about this episode was seeing the ten-year-olds actually act like ten-year-olds. I feel like we don't get those small moments of realism from them as much as we should. It was quite dialogue-heavy in some areas as well so that's part of the main enjoyment of it all too. Kibago was even more adorable in this episode than he usually is, picking flowers for Iris like some young child would do so for their mother, his saddened state while him and Iris are alone and even when he saved Zuruggu and Pikachu from Team Rocket. I never took Nokocchi as being one to fly, the wings are so minuscule.

As for the fallout scenes, I thought they were all well done. The yelling at Kibago for running into Pikachu while startled by Screech and the aftermath of it all. It truly did impact Iris and we saw her in a moment of weakness get upset and isolate herself from the boys. Her Kibago is essentially a chink in her armor or her Achilles heel so it's like a direct attack against her ego to blame him. Satoshi trying to make amends via apples was actually a sweet scene, the backfiring of it and it being the straw that broke the camel's back when he started laughing at her because she got a bad apple was great. Satoshi simply laughing at her misfortune is refreshing, we don't get enough scenes of him acting like an actual kid. The boys taking a bite from her apple after she walked off was amusing, indirect kiss between the BW trio?

Satoshi's Pokemon were amazing here as well, they've all bonded and had their moments with Iris and her Pokemon so you can naturally feel their disheartening feelings with her being gone even for a little while. Waiting out in the rain and refusing to go back into their balls was a very noble scene, I also like how Chaobu was letting himself get wet while keeping the others dry. I've been wanting to see Zuruggu for a while so it was nice to see him get some focus in this episode, given his connection to Kibago as a brother-like figure. Tsutarja was her usual cool and calm self this episode waking Satoshi up like that and encouraging him to find and apologize to Iris, along with all the other Pokemon joining in was easily my favorite scene of the episode. It's all even a nice callback to the fact Iris was friendless in her early youth at Soryuu Academy.

Satoshi and Iris's reflections on their actions was a nice way of reinstating how much the two have become friends since they've started traveling together. Satoshi accidentally setting a place for their absent third member and how use he is to her. Best scene for him was easily climbing the tree and choosing to sleep there for the night, emulating Iris's way of sleeping and feeling bad about their parting. Even the flashbacks to all their moments like vine-swinging or the Tachiwaki gym battle against Homika were commendable in their own right.

Team Rocket, I wish they weren't in this episode at all to be honest. There's no reason for their small moment of conflict in a human/human interaction episode like this, it wasn't even centered around Tag Battling like the last two fight episodes. I felt like the resolution was way too quick with Kibago and Pikachu sending TR sky-high and should have been done better, shame more couldn't be done. At least TR's motto is cool, but it was just more of their usual minimalist, predictable actions. Seeing Iris put aside her feelings and save the boys like that was an admirable scene.

The final scene with them exchanging flowers and apples and forgiving each other, I really liked it, I'm not a NegaiShipper but I really liked that moment and this whole episode. I never thought I would see the day where Satoshi would give a girl a flower. The two definitely have the most rivalry dynamic of all the Satoshi/Pokegirl friendships. They've been portrayed as being equals for the most part most of the series, whether it be a tournament, vine-swinging or even their Pokemon(Kairyu/Lizardon, Kibago/Zuruggu, Tsutarja/Emonga, Pikachu/Doryuzu), their friendship is pretty enjoyable. I noticed a severe lack of background music in this episode, it keeps the tension on-point better by not having it so I can see why was excluded. Think I only remember four or five tracks, I'm sure the dub will *fix* that unfortunately.

All in all a good episode, Da! has pulled out two very good episodes in a row. Let's go for a third with the Jirachi episode next week. TR were as tiring as usual, but I'm getting better at ignoring them.

Only thing I really want now is an Iris/Dento interaction episode.

EDIT:Iris blushed at Satoshi's first peace offering, wow didn't notice that at first.

tumblr_moplcmlvJB1qidshgo1_500_zps8f2a7518.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bad episode really, if I had been more on board with the Ash/Iris dynamic I might have enjoyed this episode more than I actually did, and would have found all the silly drama more believable. Their dynamic really has been kinda meh throughout BW. Still, it was fun to see Ash actually piss Iris off for a change I suppose. About time. Scraggy,and Snivy were good as always tho.

Last edited:
I don't get Team Rocket's plan. They threw a net at Ash and Cilan to prevent them from sending their Pokemon out, and then tried to get away when their balloon wouldn't be fast enough to escape by the time Cilan and Ash got out of the net(which took less than 15 seconds!). Ash would have sent out Charizard then and saved his own Pokemon. The plan has no complexity to it. I only liked how they dodged Pikachu and Scraggy's attacks and that's about it really. I'd have preferred if the time wasted on them was used on for something else, like more time on Iris to balance out with the time spent on Ash. Other than that, the episode was really cute and me "awww" at a few scenes.

Omg the "Pikachu to kikaretara" was the best scene xD next the Nyasu's narration
I loved that line.

Nice episode all round - I particularly like actually seeing rustling grass in the anime for a Pokemon, it's oddly rare. So is a Scraggy appearance, so that's even better.

Chiplet said:
Oh please, nearly everything in the anime is rather predictable

Which is why it's bullshit that the Rocket trio seems to be the ones who get called out for it week after week after week.

Last edited:
I don't get Team Rocket's plan. They threw a net at Ash and Cilan to prevent them from sending their Pokemon out, and then tried to get away when their balloon wouldn't be fast enough to escape by the time Cilan and Ash got out of the net(which took less than 15 seconds!). Ash would have sent out Charizard then and saved his own Pokemon. The plan has no complexity to it. I only liked how they dodged Pikachu and Scraggy's attacks and that's about it really. I'd have preferred if the time wasted on them was used on for something else, like more time on Iris to balance out with the time spent on Ash. Other than that, the episode was really cute and me "awww" at a few scenes.
I have to agree on that last part, looking back at the episode. More self-reflection scenes on Iris and her own regrets about leaving Satoshi-tachi could have fleshed out the whole situation better and given the audience more insight and connection with her and Satoshi's own internal struggle with feeling so bad about their actions which would have given the whole making up scene more impact. We know the writers are capable of writing good emotional Team Rocket-less human struggle filler episodes likes Dento and Pod's brother battle, I just think that Team Rocket were used mainly for two reasons: for a quick and speedy resolution and to essentially be used as a crutch and catalyst for Iris to apologize as well after Kibago saved Zuruggu and Pikachu. That's the main problem with Team Rocket, they're more of a crutch for the writers than anything to compensate for being more creative. You know a very very good episode where Team Rocket were relevant and really entertaining? The Hitomoshi mansion episode, even in the the Dragon Master's path episode they played a non-short role in Kibago perfecting Dragon Rage and Iris showcasing the whole Dragon-hearting thing with her and Kibago. They failed and were used as plot devices in that Crimgan episode but at least it quality. They actually were used for more than a minute and only appeared when they needed to and seemed competent in their actions.

They were very theatrical in their missions, they stood out even in uniform, they were essentially walking all over Team Plasma in Episode N but were cracking some humorous moments at times, even their motto felt more exclusive and unique and remains to be tied with the OS one for my favorite of theirs so far, obviously they can't be too goofy during a time where they're being relayed important assignments by Zager-Hakase but as seen in that Hitomoshi episode they can be a bit humorous and competent. All in moderation and a very happy medium. I'm pretty dubious about most of their actions in Da! thus far. Essentially their plans and presence in these episodes feels so either unworthy or predictable that I've become overwhelmed with their laundry list of appearances. Because it wasn't about the quality of their work when they're being used as plot devices, it just felt like they're blatant leaning post before. Want a new move or evolution? Evolve and shut down a TR mecha. An issue between two characters? Use Team Rocket, example Hikari and Satoshi reconcile and proceed to test their new found team work against Masukippa and Habunake. They've essentially just turned into an excuse for the writers to be a bit lazy with creation of some fillers as well.(Sweet Honey is Filled With Danger!) They've become a way to insert conflict or fix a problem without doing so in an innovative or unique fashion. The Obemu episode in the Nyagotiator arc. was something amazing in itself for a filler episode, we got a one-episode very entertaining comedic villain to fill TR's shows.

I've found Best Wishes! to have some of the most entertaining fillers/episodes(I've really enjoyed 15 so far which is more than DP, AG or OS fillers) just for the pure lack of Team Rocket.

Last edited:
Wow, I was expecting this episode to be a predictable snoozefest. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't.

The "Pikachu to Kikaretara" things is priceless. Meowth/Nyasu's narration was literally the only thing from Team Rocket that had me in stitches today.

Overall, a much better episode than I was expecting to be. Ash and Iris arguing was hilarious.

Poor Dento/Cilan...haha.

9.5/10

The episode was fun on its own, considering how silly did the reason they broke up seem, or how Dento was speaking to the Pokemon like N does.
It was also good that we saw Scraggy's relationship with Axew again, because most times Pikachu gets the role of Axew's "best friend", and it reminds me of DP's Pikachu-Piplup, which I didn't like at all.

Snivy showing concern was unexcpected, Charizard even more. The first one's a bitch and the second is too bad@ss to care. But they did. Oh well.
*probably Charizard feared that he won't be able to beat Dragonite ever again...*

Snivy showing concern was unexcpected, Charizard even more. The first one's a bitch and the second is too bad@ss to care. But they did. Oh well.*
To be honest, Charizard showing concern was far more unexpected than Snivy. Snivy has been depicted as a mature character who cares deeply about her friends. Additionally, she has had her moments with Iris. As for Charizard, I have 2 explanations:

1) He missed Dragonite.
2) Writers decided they might just use him for something more than being just a flier.

I mean seriously, what is his purpose in DA! ?

Writers decided they might just use him for something more than being just a flier.

I mean seriously, what is his purpose in DA! ?

You said it yourself. Not that he had that lots of uses in Episode N either.

The BEST Part of the whole Episode to me was that Dunsparce Flying Away was great.

^Same here for some reason lmao.

Iris getting mad over the flowers does seem a bit strained or silly. Ash's Pokemon were really adorable this episode, especially Scraggy, when they noticed Iris was missing. I can't say much about the trio and their interactions with each other since I haven't watched the BW season in a loooong time.

It kinda annoyed me, however, that we didn't get to see Iris' POV in this quarrel quite like we did with Ash, who clearly displayed how worried and sad he was about the whole situation, by not being so talkative with Cilan, slept up in a tree because that's what Iris always does (not to forget the bit where he stared at the rain without saying a word at first) and then have a quick flashback montage thing about how much of a dear friend Iris actually is to him.
Technically, we only really saw Iris be angry and leave and that's that. I wanted to see what she exactly thought and felt about the situation, other than not being able to sleep and pretend nothing's wrong towards Axew T_T But it's rare for us to see this side of Ash, so I'm content with what we got. I guess her small blushes when Ash first tried to make up and later when they both finally apologized could work too, though. That girl's just really secretive about what she feels! In-character of her, I suppose, but still!

Iris' was conveyed more subtly, but I could certainly feel the remorse and loneliness in her scene. Kibago was showing concern for her sleeping in a tree in the rain, but she told him it was fine, she'll weather it, just like when they first started travelling... and her line delivery, if you'll go back to any early BW (first season) episode, she sounded just as quiet and withdrawn as she did back then, before she started opening up to Satoshi and Dent, so it was like her sadness could be felt, even if it wasn't conveyed as prominently as Satoshi's.

I really liked this episode. It was a lot better than I expected and all the little touches (from Satoshi setting out three cups and plates out of habit to Kibago and Pikachu setting off to help their trainers make up and even Zuruggu/Scraggy being unable to eat without its big brother Kibago/Axew around) made it so much more enjoyable!

I'm definitely a Wishfulshipper all the way, but I absolutely adore the friendship shared by the BW trio, so an episode focusing on any facet of their dynamic is always a treat. They just feel more balanced and genuine in its consistency and interconnectedness compared to some of the previous travelling groups (for example, Takeshi/Brock's friendship with Satoshi is pronounced, but his relationship with, say, Hikari/Dawn or Haruka/May was frequently ignored and not brought up as frequently; you don't see it in every episode, like Iris' exasperation with Dent's dramatics).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom