• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW131: Satoshi and Iris's Severed Relationship!? The Path of Separation!!

I really enjoyed this episode. There were some great dynamics between Ash/Iris and Ash/Iris/Cilan and I love how both Cilan and Meowth narrated the episode, it was an interesting take on a 'Ash/Girl have a fight' episode.

tumblr_moot6dBM2Y1qidshgo1_250.png

I am imagining it now.

The apple has poison inside of it, and the flower gives a deadly disease on contact.

Oh and not to forget, Ash's Pokémon were awesome in this episode!

Nokocchi is such a random choice as a potential capture, but I have to admit I do like that they used a Pokemon that's not only been pretty neglected in the anime but also has a unique design.

tumblr_mootoblM0m1qidshgo3_1280.png

I really, really loved Ash's Pokémon in this episode. Not only were they worried about Iris too and couldn't eat at first without Iris and Axew (though it's somewhat strange Charizard was outside too, lol), but they also pushed Ash to go towards her so they can reconcile. And not to mention Iris/Ash telling Cilan to shut up and Ash/Cilan laughing together at Iris.

So Satoshi decides to let his Pokemon sleep outside for the night, but then it starts raining and instead of putting them back in their Poke Balls where they'll be warm (he could easily let them out the following night instead) he lets them get wet and cold... including Lizardon! What if its tail flame happened to go out? That would have been a dark turn for sure.

Still, it was nice that the writers (or at least, the animators) are remembering that Lizardon and Chaoboo are friends by letting them stand together all the time. Pity they've forgotten the Zuruggu/Kibago pairing it seems.

Also, was nice to see Zuruggu again after six freakin' months.

Pity they've forgotten the Zuruggu/Kibago pairing it seems.
Actually, no. Scraggy was the first one who noticed Axew wasn't present as well as Iris. It was also Scraggy and Pikachu who went after Iris and Axew.

So Pansage, Crustle and Stunfisk just don't care about Iris?

Who knew that the Ash x main girl ship with the smallest shipping fandom would get one of the shippiest episodes? What a time to be alive, I can die happy now ;w;

This was a great episode. I really like how quickly Ash assumed responsibility for his actions and how eager he was to make it up to Iris; offering her a "peace apple" and everything. I kinda expected him to be kinda sour at her for a while, but I guess he's grown out of that. (of course, he's still a kodomo and so is Iris, so the reactions were pretty volatile :p)

Probably my favorite part was when Ash opted to sleep in the trees during the rain that night, with no explanation (I think Cilan might have theorized one but what does he know I forgot what he said XD either way, it was for Iris's sake). He really cares...those flashbacks they showed really showcased how much fun they had together :')

Also, Ash gave a girl a flower (that wasn't his mom for once). Let that sink in for a minute. Just close your eyes, take a deep breath...yeah, that's it.

Last edited:
This episode was okay for me. Though Iris getting upset over Ash accidentally falling on her flowers was kinda of stupid imo. I know it was the plot device, but it was really kind of dumb. I mean, she could have just gone and got some more instead of whining about it and acting like it was the end of the world. But whatever. Though I did like that we finally saw Scraggy again and that he actually noticed that Axew and Iris weren't present during dinner and went out to look for them.

Ash keeping his Pokemon out in the rain, especially Charizard and Pignite seemed a bit strange. And Cilan's Pokémon didn't really do anything major in this episode, so that was disappointing. Overall I'll give it a 6/10.

Ugh... Well, unfortunately I kinda missed a little more than the first half of the episode since internet decided to be a bitch, but from that which I saw it did seem to be a really good episode!

Even though I'm not a negaishipper wishful all the way, I must say that I really appreciated the somewhat shipping scenes for them. I mean, they both actually looked to be genuinly concerned for each other, and so did their Pokémon. All of Ash's Pokémon stayed out in the rain as they all were worried for Iris and Axew, and that was understandable as all the starters have built a bond with her in previous episodes while Scraggy is Axew's best friend, and Pikachu is close to both Iris and Axew. Admittedly Charizard's presence did feel kinda awkward, though I was fine with it. Then Ash himself even climbed up in a tree, where Iris usually sleeps, and seemed to be truly regretful over his actions. Iris seemed to be in the same position, even though she forced herself to try and be happy for the sake of Axew. Ugh, I just really loved the fact how Ash FINALLY actually showed some real genuine concern for one of his traveling companions, it truly showed that he really missed Iris. That was just adorable. I love them both so much <3

However, what I didn't like was the somewhat ''rushed'' resolution. TR appeared, sucked as always, and the way Iris and Ash made up was very predictable and rather boring too, since I had hoped for slightly more to happen than just Dragon Rage on the balloon and the Thunderbolt to blast them away. That was kinda meh. Granted I didn't see all that clearly as to what happened due to keyhole lagging.

The ending was ADORABLE. Both of them apologizing was appreciated, I can imagine that being extremely hard for Iris due to her pride, but she did still manage to push herself into apologizing as she probably didn't want to fight with Ash any longer. Then we had the exchange of flower and apple, omg. That was just... omg.

So yeah, from that which I saw (with the exception for TR appearing) I really loved this episode, though I'm gonna watch the first half of the episode too before I make a real judgement. Regardless, DA! is on a roll now.

So Satoshi decides to let his Pokemon sleep outside for the night, but then it starts raining and instead of putting them back in their Poke Balls where they'll be warm (he could easily let them out the following night instead) he lets them get wet and cold... including Lizardon! What if its tail flame happened to go out? That would have been a dark turn for sure.

Still, it was nice that the writers (or at least, the animators) are remembering that Lizardon and Chaoboo are friends by letting them stand together all the time. Pity they've forgotten the Zuruggu/Kibago pairing it seems.

Also, was nice to see Zuruggu again after six freakin' months.

Do you know what should be even nicer? To see Palpitoad again.

I might have found this episode to be touching if i didn't think that Iris could have been nicer to Ash at the beginning. Her "Little Kid" comments still prevent me from completely liking her, so it's hard for me to actually sympathize with her. Which I admit is a little odd, because, looking back, whenever Ash showed concern for Misty, his past discretions with her didn't seem like that big of a problem for me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom