• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW134: Pansy Appears! Erikiteru and Gogoat!!

It was a good episode, though I hoped it'd focus more on the XY Pokémon rather than a random sumo tournament. But yay for continuity, I guess?

Pignite seriously needs to evolve. Along with Krookodile, it's one of the strongest Pokémon in Ash's team and this episode just reinforced my opinion - Pignite definitely deserves an evolution, it's gotten enough battles and screentime. As for that random COTD, the purple-haired dude, that is seriously one of the ugliest character designs I've ever seen. I mean, he certainly looks like a sumo-wrestler but his body anatomy was just ... wow.

Chaobu focus + Minimal amount of Rocket nonsense + Kairyu + Elikiteru/Gogoat/Pansy + Purple-haired Jerk + nice visuals = fun episode.

Nice to see Chaobu get some focus and win the whole tournament, that was out of the left field. Plus he was really cute and awesome with his newly won Focus Band, he and Waruvial are seriously the best battlers of Satoshi's team. Mijumaru was pretty cute here to, with how much he was rooting for Chaobu to win. The hype throughout the episode about the Sumo Tournament and every one making a big deal of it and the fruit giving was entertaining. The final battle and the tactic to win were cool as well. Glad he won, he deserved some glory.

Pansy looked kinda bland to me, but she's actually pretty cute in her exposition on her job. With her getting wild Pokemon on camera and editing the videos and pictures for magazines and what not. I also like how her Gogoat and Elikiteru were assistants for her, when she needed her camera charged and her Gogoat's annoyance with her as well. Elikiteru and Gogoat both had some nice personality that made them standout well, I'm kinda glad they didn't steal the show here. Even though I realize they're here to advertise X and Y. Pansy and her interest in Satoshi-tachi and her filming were pretty cute, even her paying heavy attention to Satoshi and Chaobu in the tournament. For some reason I think Luke will be mentioned or appear again in the future.

Kairyu losing on a technicality was amusing to say the least, as was Iris checking out all the massive Pokemon and being "Herp derp, better go with da big Dragon-type!" I was hoping for Doryuzu this time since Kibago got the Marine Cup in the detective episode but Kairyu will do I guess. Kairyu had the win but lost, because his massive tail went out of the arena. I felt bad for Dento, his Yanappu didn't have a chance and got swatted easily. Yukiya worked well for a one-episode antagonistic factor and it was just nice to see Golugh get some focus, the species hasn't done much outside of Larry's.

But yeah, a fun episode. Hopefully Gogoat battles in the future, found it more interesting than Elikiteru and its facial expressions were great.

Seriously though, Chaobu:

How
tumblr_mq56ivx9bN1rsrk2xo6_1280.jpg

can you not
tumblr_mq56ivx9bN1rsrk2xo2_1280.jpg

love that guy?
tumblr_mq56ivx9bN1rsrk2xo10_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked the reference to the Johto sumo competition!

Who even remembers that episode?

Anyone who watched Johto should remember that ep... it's only thanks to that ep and Ash winning the King's Rock that Misty's Poliwhirl could evolve, and that was also the first (and one of the only significant ones) appearance of Feraligatr in the anime...

I still feel the whole Kairyu vs Beartic thing to be dumb when it's not in the context of Iris' rivalry with Langley.

I have to agree with this... my first thought seeing Dragonite VS Beartic was "...again?" - we had that already and with a character that actually meant something for Iris... it just seems like a really weird choice considering they could choose just about any other Pokémon...
Also did Ash really have to use Pignite here? when Oshawott decided not to enter after seeing the big opponents, I thought Ash will probably go with Charizard (which would kind of fit with Iris' choice of Dragonite) but no... I really have to wonder what was the point of Charizard rejoining Ash's team... it literally doesn't do anything

I thought Ash will probably go with Charizard (which would kind of fit with Iris' choice of Dragonite) but no... I really have to wonder what was the point of Charizard rejoining Ash's team... it literally doesn't do anything
Chaobu is based on a wrestler and a Pokemon with a muscular/large physique and is pretty speedy, so it makes more sense. I don't even think Lizardon does any type of fighting outside of the air or actually runs/stays on the ground and fights. Iris only used Kairyu because a diminutive Kibago would have been a terrible choice against all of the massive Pokemon.

SamurottMan said:
And seriously, why didn't Cilan choose Crustle, It's weak against fighting, but could have done more than Pansage.

It wouldn't have mattered since the rules stated that pokemon are forbidden from using any of their moves during their matches.

I really had A Lot Of Fun with this Episode and was great so far and can not wait for the Next Batch of Episodes. Does anyone think that Pignite will have the Focus Band on, probably not but I am curious about it.

Last edited:
I really had A Lot Of Fun with this Episode and was great so far and can not wait for the Next Batch of Episodes. Does anyone think that Pignite will have the Focus Band on, probably not but I am curious about it.

It could happen, given how the series is winding down and the stock footage the animators have of Chaoboo will be outdated before long anyway. Why not give it something cool like that before it gets left to rot at Okido's?

Thanks Man I liked that Comment and what was up with the Fake Golem Outfit for Meowth it looked like he was pretty much crammed in the thing with no energy.

Thanks Man I liked that Comment and what was up with the Fake Golem Outfit for Meowth it looked like he was pretty much crammed in the thing with no energy.

Well there was no way a meowth or meowth like Pokemon could even hope to compete in a sumo tourney as shown by pansage's terrible performance so they wanted to put up an illusion.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, even though I do agree that I wish Gogoat and Elekiteru had been shown off a bit more. I thought Elekiteru had a great introduction, it was SO cute when it frilled out and was all scared and was clinging to Pansy ;~~~; but it just tailed off after that, then we saw it charge the video camera, but nothing else?

The battles were fun, definitely a nice break from standard Pokémon battles, and Pansy is really cute!! I'm glad she'll be traveling with them for a bit :D I'm hoping they're saving 'showing off' Gogoat and Elekiteru for another episode when their abilities are more needed or something, and maybe she has some other Gen 6 Pokemon with her too?

And okay I'm sorry but

tumblr_mq5pujXltQ1qbgiw9o1_1280.png

Why aren't you just riding Gogoat?????

I thought Ash will probably go with Charizard (which would kind of fit with Iris' choice of Dragonite) but no... I really have to wonder what was the point of Charizard rejoining Ash's team... it literally doesn't do anything
Chaobu is based on a wrestler and a Pokemon with a muscular/large physique and is pretty speedy, so it makes more sense. I don't even think Lizardon does any type of fighting outside of the air or actually runs/stays on the ground and fights. Iris only used Kairyu because a diminutive Kibago would have been a terrible choice against all of the massive Pokemon.
She could have chosen Excadrill. It is not so small.

I really loved Gogoat's personality. I hope we get to see more of it in future episodes. Pansy was ok. Kinda bland, but ok. The part where they showed her photographing the wild Swanna and typing out her article was kinda cool to watch, and it had a sort of realistic feel to it.

The legend of Minori island was kinda dumb though. I mean, people fighting over delicious berries? (or fruits or whatever) Seriously? Though Satoshi giving his berry (or fruit or whatever) to that Yukiya guy in the end was a nice reference to the legend.

Like someone mentioned before, seeing Chaobuu in action was fun. And yeah, I thought Satoshi would pick Lizardon too, but seeing how well Chaobuu did, I guess it was a good choice after all.

One thing that kept on bugging me throughout the episode was everyone's reaction to Satoshi and Yukiya's little feud. Clearly Yukiya is the one who's at fault for being rude to Satoshi, and yet everyone reacts as though it was just some kind of misunderstanding. Satoshi getting mad at that guy was legit IMO. Iris and Dent could have backed him up a bit, but instead they act as though he's the one who's wrong for standing up for himself. What the heck? I guess they just didn't want him to get into trouble, but still.

I really loved Gogoat's personality. I hope we get to see more of it in future episodes. Pansy was ok. Kinda bland, but ok. The part where they showed her photographing the wild Swanna and typing out her article was kinda cool to watch, and it had a sort of realistic feel to it.

The legend of Minori island was kinda dumb though. I mean, people fighting over delicious berries? (or fruits or whatever) Seriously? Though Satoshi giving his berry (or fruit or whatever) to that Yukiya guy in the end was a nice reference to the legend.

Like someone mentioned before, seeing Chaobuu in action was fun. And yeah, I thought Satoshi would pick Lizardon too, but seeing how well Chaobuu did, I guess it was a good choice after all.

One thing that kept on bugging me throughout the episode was everyone's reaction to Satoshi and Yukiya's little feud. Clearly Yukiya is the one who's at fault for being rude to Satoshi, and yet everyone reacts as though it was just some kind of misunderstanding. Satoshi getting mad at that guy was legit IMO. Iris and Dent could have backed him up a bit, but instead they act as though he's the one who's wrong for standing up for himself. What the heck? I guess they just didn't want him to get into trouble, but still.

They were being protective of Satoshi by not letting him fight someone who is twice as bigger as him. Iris, Cilan and Pansy were protecting our beloved, thin protagonist from getting slammed. Iris could have used gentler tone though, but I guess that's her character. The more protective she is, the more harsh she becomes? I felt bad for him, but Pansy calms him down and reasons with him. I liked that.

Who thinks that Pignite is Cute with the Focus Band on because I really like it and looks really cool with it on I think.

Also Who Voiced Alexa's Gogoat because to me it sounded a lot like Unshō Ishizuka to me at least but I could be Wrong.

Last edited:
Neowsu said:

They just didn't want him getting into any unnecessary arguments. As Iris and Dent pointed out, there were still plenty of other cakes for Satoshi to have, so why get worked up about the one that this jerk guy took? Just calm down and choose another one.

I suppose it *is* a pretty Japanese way of handling / avoiding confrontation, though, and I can see why some Westerners would think it's weird.

Last edited:
For all you hungry for continuity references, Satoshi mentioned the Sumo Tournament in Jouto.

Who even remembers that episode?

Speaking of references, the purple-haired dude reminded me of Morrison from the Hoenn League.

I remember it! *O* I didn't expect the writers to, though!

Haven't seen this episode yet, but it looks cute.

Was the Parker in this episode the same Parker they met in the first cruise ship? I'm pretty sure he has the same red colorations.

By the way, am I the only one that feels that the average adult size is inconsistent in this anime?
121tjec.jpg

I understand that Ash is a 10-years old boy and that we are accostumed to see the anime world from his own height, but seriously, Parker is too freaking big anyway.

Also, the BGM that played from the scene where Oshawott got out from his Poké Ball to Team Rocket's appearance... Is it a new music? I can't remember hearing it before, just like the BGM in BW127 when the giant Meowth chases Team Rocket (which played again in this episode when Team Rocket gets defeated). Are they slowly introducing BGMs for the new series perhaps?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom