• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW136 - Ibuki and Iris! The Different Colored Crimgan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW??? - Johto Gym Leader Clair Returns

I thought of the possibility of the anime trying to parallel PokeSpe and realized it would be impossible since these episodes are written and animated six months in advance and I know from Kusaka's recent visit in France that PokeSpe chapters aren't written in at advance and the Blackthorn stuff in PokeSpe was only recently released a month ago. So it's impossible the anime is paralleling PokeSpe, it's most likely just a coincidence. It's also important to note that in PokeSpe!Blackthorn Clair makes no appearance whatsoever alongside Iris.

I really really hope that Iris doesn't get Johto'ed too... May/Dawn are waiting there as well...

May has probably already left Johto by this point, especially when she had three ribbons the last time we saw her, and Dawn was only going there for the Wallace Cup, so I highly doubt that they would all be in Johto if Iris went there as well.

I imagine Clair's return will be quite ho-hum like Jasmine's was back in DP. Jasmine made a return and she was so dull in her ep that nobody cared, the writers even focused on Kenny over her.

Clair probably won't be all that interesting either, she basically has the same personality as Cynthia.

I imagine Clair's return will be quite ho-hum like Jasmine's was back in DP. Jasmine made a return and she was so dull in her ep that nobody cared.

At that time, Jasmine was only present to teach Kenny how to improve his contest appeals. And just like in the games, Jasmine went to Sunyshore City because the environment reminded her of her hometown. The problem with Jasmine's appearance in DP is that she only appeared in just one episode, and that particular episode focused on developing numerous characters all at once. We had Kenny with his desire to improve his contest appeals and to start a journey with Dawn. Meanwhile, Flint was attempting to improve his pokemon's power for his approaching challenge with Cynthia. Ash also tried to imitate Flint's battling style to become a stronger battler, something that he tried with his Buizel but failed to beat Kenny because Flint's style was not appropriate for him.

We should be grateful that Jasmine even got a small battle with an E4 member, as well as her Steelix that we haven't seen in over 400 episodes.

The writers even focused more on Kenny than her.

And why wouldn't the writers have focused on Kenny more than her? Kenny's name was in the Japanese title, and a major plot point that drove that episode home was Kenny's crush on Dawn and his desire to begin a journey with her. He was jealous of Ash's relationship with Dawn, which resulted in their battle. There was only 20 minutes in the episode, and we had so much going on all at once. So it was expected that Jasmine would take a backseat here.

Clair probably won't be all that interesting either, she basically has the same personality as Cynthia.

Except Cynthia had eccentric quirks like her obsession with frozen goods, and was a bit more open-minded towards people with different mindsets. Clair was a mostly serious, albeit quick-tempered, character during her appearance in the original series. Clair did verbally threaten Ash and co. just because they were a bit too close to her pokemon when they first met, something that I would not see Cynthia do.

Clair may or may not serve as a greater role model for Iris than Cynthia, because, unlike Cynthia, Clair is actually specialized to train Dragon-types and she trained alongside the E4 champion Lance.

I imagine Clair's return will be quite ho-hum like Jasmine's was back in DP. Jasmine made a return and she was so dull in her ep that nobody cared, the writers even focused on Kenny over her.

I'm not sure if that's the best comparison. Jasmine's appearance in DP was meant to help resolve Kenny's crush with Dawn, help Dawn decide what to do next and have Ash learn from Flint. The episode wasn't meant to focus only on her. With Claire, there will be more focus on her since her appearance will affect Iris in some way or another, so they won't have to juggle around the focus on multiple characters in one episode.

The Fighting Misty said:

Clair definitely seemed more assertive than Cynthia usually is when she appeared.

There is a major difference. Jasmine's appearance was OBLIGED, because she appeared on the games, plus the HG/SS advertisement.
Clair, however, is NOT! They put thought on implementing her into BW, and they will put thought on how they will use her in conjunction with Iris.

i do wonder if Clare will take dragonite to Dragons den for training just like charizard way back in johto...

Cool callback to the past, or yet another act of desperation?

You decide!

I really hope we'll get to see her Kingdra again.

Clair? I dunno why they're bringing back Clair when Lance would've been more logical, DA being related to Kanto and all. I believe this will mark where Iris leaves - to go train under Clair.

I'm just waiting to say I told you so when this episode Airs and iris walks off with a free shiny druddigon.

I'm surprised Clair was chosen myself, I don't remember the character ever being that popular. Whitney and Jasmine both seemed more popular as far as female Johto Gym leaders go.

Granted the Ash Gym battle with her was the best of all of Johto, and ironically enough Ash brought Charizard back to battle Clair way back then...

A bit late, but this is the thread to discuss it...so...

At least now we know that Druddigon belongs to Clair, or is at least a friend of hers. I hope there will be a 2 on 2 on battle with Iris and Clair, because I think the Dragonites would want to battle each other and I think Druddigon could be shown off in a battle as well.

Inb4 Claire gives iris the druddigon.

And here's something I've thought about: what if it's a two parter?

Part 1 could be about her & Ash-tachi finding/catching the shiny Druddigon and part 2 could be her Dragonite vs. Iris'/helping get him under control (again).

Just a thought.

I see Information about Clair popping in any moment from Pokemon Fan.

Now that it seems that Alexa will travel with the main characters through Decolora, we have Iris' Dragonite, Alexa's Noivern, Clair's Dragonite and Druddigon as Dragon-types here. Then a Double Battle would be something nice to do in this episode (if Alexa is going to appear of course). If not, Iris could use her Axew but that would be... out of place in my opinion.

I'm just waiting to say I told you so when this episode Airs and iris walks off with a free shiny druddigon.

Son that Druddigon belons to Clair as far as we are concerned or will belong.

Why didn't they do something like this back when HG/SS was being released. Sure, we got Lyra and some flashbacks of the Johto Gym Leaders, including Clair, but wouldn't it make much more sense to do it then rather than now?

it will be nice to see a trainer with a Dragonite who actually deserves to have one. Iris is far too inexperienced to own a Dragonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom