• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW140: Dent VS the Ice Challenger! The Crisis of Sanyou Gym!!

Anyone else noticing that the past few episodes and this has had a lot more animation errors than normal? I guess since the series is coming to a close for X and Y the writers are like "Ah who cares let's just get this over with already!"

I can only recall this and the Druddigon episodes as having notably bad animation. I would say that they aren't caring a lot because this is a filler arc, but both bad animated episodes seem to be relevant for Ash's leaving companions character development, so...

I liked this episode and Drago is probably of my favorite CotD.
I don't know, but the drawings were really weird at some points of the episode. (When Ash wanted food or smth he seemed weird and Drago's eye was bigger that the other)

And the background music at the beginning was Hikari's theme, I think.
I agree with the drawings parts! I noticed that too. Do you think they're getting ideas for XY?

Anyone else noticing that the past few episodes and this has had a lot more animation errors than normal? I guess since the series is coming to a close for X and Y the writers are like "Ah who cares let's just get this over with already!"

I can only recall this and the Druddigon episodes as having notably bad animation. I would say that they aren't caring a lot because this is a filler arc, but both bad animated episodes seem to be relevant for Ash's leaving companions character development, so...
The Butterfree ep had noticeably poorer animation, so all three twerps got hit with the derp. : D

Okay episode but man did Chili and Cress look hopeless. I mean what was the point of Chili's episode if his next appearance would just be him getting utterly pwned in a type advantage.

I know that this is just a filler arc so O.L.M is not going to put their best effort into animating this arc but this episode in my opinion was poorly animated :(

Drago's Mamoswine also knew Double Hit and Ice Fang. It didn't use Peck or Thrash at all.

And Snow Warning was used for the first time in the anime.

Last edited:
I didn't think we'd get flashbacks about Iris and Cilan in this episode until the next episode or the last one, but okay. Iris' flashbacks, however, felt a bit forced, since this episode wasn't about her, and probably would've been more suited for the previous episode. Though, perhaps there was a reason for that here that I didn't catch due to not understanding much Japanese.

I didn't even notice Team Rocket's absence until the preview. 0_0

I didn't think we'd get flashbacks about Iris and Cilan in this episode until the next episode or the last one, but okay. Iris' flashbacks, however, felt a bit forced, since this episode wasn't about her, and probably would've been more suited for the previous episode. Though, perhaps there was a reason for that here that I didn't catch due to not understanding much Japanese.

I didn't even notice Team Rocket's absence until the preview. 0_0
That might be because Iris doesn't seem to have her own special yet and it's better to put a little bit of her flashbacks in this episode so it doesn't have to take up any time in the final BW episode. Though I still don't understand why they couldn't just have taken the memories of all three of them and combined them for the next week's episode - it would have made much more sense.

Last edited:
tumblr_mt0z1lFeGk1r994nzo1_1280.png

Forget what I said earlier. NOW I can die happy.

Satoshi looks older hear for some reason. And why is Dent so tall?

I Still am giving this a 5.4 because to Me it was a Mediocre Episode and Unless I find Subtitles in the Next Month I have No Idea of what to say about Drago which Everyone Likes, I just did Not get Her Character at all and I will have to find Out when Subtitles come Out because I am Curious.
Pansage Ripping Off some of his Broccoli Hair was a little Weird I think and Kensuke Sato did a Good Job of Voicing Abomasnow I Think.

Not bad of an episode.
Battle was rushed but the point was just to show Dent is tougher now and all after what they've been through together.

I got fooled by the final scene when he almost went with Corn and Pod. It's okay. The next episodes will be better with him not leaving the scenes yet.

The animation and art was subpar but judging from the preview the final episodes will make up for that with the quality of the animation.

I give this episode a 6/10

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom