• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW140: Dent VS the Ice Challenger! The Crisis of Sanyou Gym!!

Weird Episode, I am going to give this a 5.4/10 because this was just another Ok Episode but I Did Not find anything Special to Me at least.

We finally got to see the Sanyou triplets in their younger years (been waiting for this)-

g0XPd5J.jpg

Last edited:
I liked this episode and Drago is probably of my favorite CotD.
I don't know, but the drawings were really weird at some points of the episode. (When Ash wanted food or smth he seemed weird and Drago's eye was bigger that the other)

And the background music at the beginning was Hikari's theme, I think.

Why does Alexa always keep on Going Away because it is pretty Annoying I think and she is a Good Character I Think.

I thought this would be the beginning of the end. Strange that they're doing all the flashbacks here and not the next.

Drogo was amazing for a character of the day, wish she appeared earlier in BW, perhaps as Cilan's rival?

The episode itself was okay, it was mostly consisted out of flashbacks which was fitting, I guess, since BW is coming to its end soon. I liked the small bits such as Iris and Ash cooking and messing things up (that rules out Ash as a cook in XY haha) and Cilan getting a bit emotional at the ending. Speaking of which, was Cilan considering going back home?

Last edited:
A decent episode. It didn't do a whole lot to keep my attention, but I liked Drago for the most part, although I'm not really a fan of the whole half-mask whatever she's got going on. Mini-Sanyou Gym Leaders were the definition of cute, though.

Every frame before the flashbacks to the Striaton Gym was terribly drawn, specially Ash and Iris when they're seen from a distance. On the other hand, some shots were nice, like the camera rotating around Cilan or changing angles during the battle.

As of the episode itself, it seems like it's primal purpose was to show flashbacks to Iris and Cilan and their Pokémon, something I don't mind because that means we won't be getting everything thrown at the last minute, but it felt a little rushed at the end when Cilan wins. And I'm getting tired of Alexa just having to go away once again.

Drago... she's one of the best CoTDs I've seen in a while. She's amazing both in design and personality. I like that she doesn't act like her Abomasnow after her loss, because that's something you would see coming, but it just doesn't come.

Last edited:
Anyone else noticing that the past few episodes and this has had a lot more animation errors than normal? I guess since the series is coming to a close for X and Y the writers are like "Ah who cares let's just get this over with already!"

This was an excellent episode! In every way except for the incredibly off-model art. The proportions were so off at one point, I was wondering why Pod's Baoppu/Pansear looked so severely shrunken (seriously, after it's defeated?! It looks like he starved the poor thing!).

Regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not, I think it's safe to say that they were trying to do their best to make sure this episode makes an impact: they went all out to make it stand out with an incredibly bizarrely designed character-of-the-day who could be best described as a very sarcastic, heavily condescending adult-female-version of Shinji, but with far more malice (Shinji didn't go around trying to disgrace gyms, just because it's more "interesting," with zero interest in collecting badges). The voice acting, as always is great, so even where the writing isn't strong enough to convey that much, just hearing the desperation in Dent's voice or the anger/insult in Pod's, is enough to make you feel it, but then there's the score! Great soundtrack for this episode.

I loved how the different personalities of the triplets were conveyed too-- the art was clumsy and off-model, yeah, but they still put effort into it (even in that still frame flashback of their youth, Pod's clothes are untucked and he has a big bandaid on his nose giving him a rough and clumsy appearance, Korn's posture is more restrained than both his brothers, especially the very excited looking Pod, and it all conveys their personalities well). While Pod gets angry quickly (shouting and addressing her with "temee" xD;;;), Korn tries his best to remain level-headed and neither accepts nor refuses her challenge (knowing that accepting it threatens their gym's future), until he sees his brother defeated, and the calm breaks and he actually looks angry (have we ever seen him look that upset before?), saying his defeat left him with no reason to decline.

I don't know, I just really, really love character-focus episodes like this, and this one was great for all three brothers. The goodbye at the end was also really moving, again, helped by the music they used, but also, Dent didn't look this sad when he parted ways with them the first time-- it struck some fans back then as being strange, how quickly he decided to leave with this random trainer he just met, but now, you could really feel how much he worried about leaving them to run the gym alone. What if someone else llike Drago shows up? But they just encourage him to keep on travelling and say they'll keep on protecting it with all their strength and it's just the cutest thing!

I'm surprised people have complaints about the flashbacks, I personally loved them and almost wish they were longer! You see, the whole point Dent was trying to prove to her was how winning and racking up victories really wasn't everything-- if she felt no strong bond with her Pokemon, she could never truly feel happiness in her victories, they'd all be hollow. Hence all the flashbacks to their previous battles and Pokemon-trainer-bonding type scenes. ^^;

As for me, I love flashbacks like these that reward the viewer for watching the series, making even “filler” episodes feel worthwhile and consequential. Even the Monozu episode was referenced for Iris!

So, yeah, for me, this episode is 9/10. Or maybe a 9.5, but the awkward art hurts... xD;

Anyone else noticing that the past few episodes and this has had a lot more animation errors than normal? I guess since the series is coming to a close for X and Y the writers are like "Ah who cares let's just get this over with already!"

I'm fairly sure they blew the budget giving Episode N consistently high quality animation. There were only one or two episodes that whole arc that looked less than stellar, so the issue is not so much "no longer caring" as much as it is about "the only people we can afford for most of this filler arc are the cheapest ones." xD;;

Drogo was amazing for a character of the day, wish she appeared earlier in BW, perhaps as Cilan's rival?

The episode itself was okay, it was mostly consisted out of flashbacks which was fitting, I guess, since BW is coming to its end soon. I liked the small bits such as Iris and Ash cooking and messing things up (that rules out Ash as a cook in XY haha) and Cilan getting a bit emotional at the ending. Speaking of which, was Cilan considering going back home?

Indeed, he was! The dialogue in that scene is as follows:

Pod: So, this is goodbye.
Korn: Take care of yourself.
This is where Dent just makes a sound and looks rather sad.
Pod: Satoshi, Iris, take care of yourselves! And take care of Dent!
Dent: I've been thinking about it, though... I should go back with you.
Korn: Why do you think that?
Dent: Because, in the end, I'm too worried about the gym. About the possibility that someone else like Drago might show up...
Korn: I understand that in all honesty this is what you want to be doing, so Dent, so why don't you travel, once more? Then, don't worry about the gym.
Pod: Yeah, me and Korn will protect the Sanyou Gym perfectly from now on!

So, they manage to talk him out of it, but he was seriously considering going back.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Pansy's VA is under contract for so many episodes, only for the writers to run out of things to do with her half-way through her run on the show. Hence the constant "I have to leave to pick something up" excuses.

Alexa is actually doing her job. After all somehow being with ash causes the footage to be destroyed so if she sticks around too much she'll be living on the streets.

I love that episode even young Chili, Cress, and Cilan. I guess they lived in a mansion (why did they recieve pokemon before ten?). And why is there a band-aid on Chili's nose? I mean did Pansear hurt his nose or did he fall into a wall or something? What happened? I guess it's a minor injury because present day Chili's nose looks perfectly fine.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom