• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW141: Best Wishes! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

You can really tell the writers stopped giving a crap at this point, but Cilan and Iris deserved better. :\ Why travel to a place and be barely there before deciding to go off to another one so hastily? It's not like they were on a plane and were stopping over at a half-way point.

And who says that there isn't some time between Cilan departing and then meeting up with Brock? He would've gone to Hoenn to do that fishing tourney, and then stop by Johto during some arbitrary length of time.

Team Rocket was a lot of fun in this episode. I'm really glad they actually used the Unova motto music, and the kids being fooled by James' disguise was actually believable this time. I'd say it was unfortunate that they got so much screen time because it gave Iris' and Cilan's departure the shaft, but the fact that they didn't even really seem that upset about leaving the friend they traveled with for who knows how long shows that giving them an extra five or so minutes wouldn't have changed much (well except making their departures slightly less abrupt but then again this franchise has done this kind of thing before).

-Ash, Iris and Cilan. Terrible. The worst departure I have ever seen. And it's extremely dumb because, if only two minimal details had being included, it would have been a non-bad departure. First, show a little more emotion from Iris and Cilan. Physical contact. Freaking physical contact. I mean, aside the flashbacks and some little details, it just a CoTD goodbye. Second, build up Cilan and Iris's decisions in previous episodes. Specially Cilan.

you basically summed up how I feel about this episode and thier departures. Did'nt like how it was handled at all.

Yah, worst good - bye episode yet. Seriously, it was like Iris and Dento didn't even care about leaving, seemed excited matter of fact. Maybe they are just happy to get Team Rocket off there back, as long as they go with Ash they'll keep following LOL. A little bit of tears from Iris and Dento would have been nice, oh well out of all the groups from he series they didn't feel that close to me.

Ampharos King said:
If Cilan really wanted to go to Hoenn instead of Johto, he could have just purchased a ticket on the ferry that travels from the Seafoam Islands to Littleroot Town just like Ash did at the end of the original series.

One of the reasons Dent is following Iris to the Jouto Region is so that he'll be able to ride the Magnet Train from Yamabuki City to Kogane City. The Metro Sommelier in him just can't pass up this opportunity.

PropellorYoshi1808 said:
I'd say it was unfortunate that they got so much screen time because it gave Iris' and Cilan's departure the shaft, but the fact that they didn't even really seem that upset about leaving the friend they traveled with for who knows how long shows that giving them an extra five or so minutes wouldn't have changed much

It wouldn't have changed anything at all. I think it's pretty obvious from seeing what was there in the departure that the problem wasn't "we don't have enough time" and more "we suck when it comes to writing satisfying conclusions for any of the characters in BW, ever." The Rocket trio aren't to blame for that.

Huh, I didn't find this episode bad at all. I really liked the departure scene, they chose good piece of music for it.

And was the final BGM new piece from XY, or why it didn't felt any familiar to me?

Huh, I didn't find this episode bad at all. I really liked the departure scene, they chose good piece of music for it.

And was the final BGM new piece from XY, or why it didn't felt any familiar to me?

I believe it wasn't from XY, but rather an unused and unreleased piece from Movie 14 (Zekrom version). It sounded really similar to the 26th track (Zekrom VS Reshiram) from Movie 14, Zekrom OST, but the parts that played didn't exist in that track. They create such pieces all the time.

And agreed about the music at the departure scene. Only half-way through the episode did I realize that this trio was having its last episode together as main cast and got sad, even though the trio isn't even my favorite. Almost melted during the separation :x
Why must the series get shorter and shorter :)

Last edited:
When I saw the preview I saw that disappointing departure coming.

What I didn't see coming was this cheap animation quality... It looked so much better in the preview >_>

Well, at least the new XY trailer is nice. And we'll get a whole episode in Masara Town for once in more than 10 years with only 5~10 minutes or less of that.

I'm pretty sure everyone should have expected that both Cilan and Iris would leave in this episode. Although I agree that the way they announced it was a bit forced, I think they really didn't need to be over-emotional in it. And there's a huge difference between Cilan/Iris and Dawn/Brock. Brock has been Ash's friend for so long, they traveled through four regions together. Dawn was taking part in contests with Ash cheering her on, and she was emotionally bounded with Ash as well. Iris and Cilan, on the other hand, where just travel companions. I'm not saying they weren't friends, because they were, however, they weren't as much of a friend to Ash as Brock or Dawn was.

I really loved the Team Rocket part. It's probably the most ridiculous way they've fooled Ash in the entirety of Best Wishes.

I also loved Iris and Cilan seeing several Kanto Pokémon. Especially Iris, it reminded me of what Ash was like when he first came to Unova.

My only problem with the goodbye is how quickly it came. I don't think anyone needed to be in tears over it, and I can understand why Cilan would be excited to ride a train and a fishing competition. It's just...they were sitting at a café in Vermillion City and then all of a sudden decide to skip their tour of Kanto and ditch Ash forever. It feels like they needed an extra episode or something. Brock's goodbye scene was just as short, but it was foreshadowed two episodes prior and there were several things in the following two episodes leading up to his return to Pewter City.

I can't say I'm too surprised though. The Best Wishes series has given us many great filler episodes, and very few serious plot episodes. It's kind of natural for them to fill up the episode with random entertainment and rush the goodbye.

He's going to Muro Town to participate in a fishing tournament being sponsored by Old Man Hagi.

Well that's... random... did Ash even react to hearing Briney's name?

And we'll get a whole episode in Masara Town for once in more than 10 years with only 5~10 minutes or less of that.

I'm not excited at all for that considering the VA list pretty much confirmed we won't see Gary/Misty/anyone of interest and even most of Ash's older Pokémon wouldn't get a chance to appear at all... like, why did they even bother to do a Pallet ep? to show us Bulbasaur?.... meh (I guess it's partly due to the Kanto starters being a big deal now cause they're in the XY games)

I found Iris and Dent's happy departure fitting for some reason. Best Wishes! rarely had any sad scenes in it; it was really happy, colorful, and upbeat. There were no releases on the main cast and there were more scenes of the cast's Pokémon playing together than any other series. So having the two of them exit the series with all smiles was great way to conclude the story.

Last edited:
I don't mind the smiles, especially from Ash. (He's mature and understands that friends need to go their own ways sometimes; I thought his goodbye was perfect.) But what I really don't like is how rushed their departures were, especially since they had decent amount of time in the episode to set things up.

Piplup said:
Well that's... random... did Ash even react to hearing Briney's name?

Nope. Though to be fair he was just one of a countless number of people he would have run across in his travels at this point.

I actually did enjoy the first half of the episode, Team Rocket's execution if not a little dramatic with the airship, was pretty interesting, and it allowed Dento, Iris and Ash to unite as the true acrobatic team after episodes of hiding their ultimate talent. In all seriousness though, that was pretty cool; them working as a team together, as they are, to conquer over. Also, nothing gives a feel-good conclusion than defeating the TRio, in my view. James' voice when imitating Parker was delightful actually, it made up for his tacky disguise. I really do hope the gang weren't fooled by the double disguise, but how could they be? Still, not one of them seemed to raise concern that one of their members was missing from action, could be wrong on this though.

Funny how Iris and Dento deciding to leave Kanto is abrupt as them deciding to join Ash on his route to Kanto. I just wish there was an episode shelved for them exploring Kanto a little before leaving (I mean, they barely arrived just to leave), with some forethought on why they're travelling where they are or something. Ash's farewell, was I agree, pretty well executed; the thumbs up was in a strange way, both mature and childlike, also I like how Dento and Iris simply took a step back, but didn't let their eyes off him. The BGM was excellently sad, I believe it gave the scene its subtle sorrows.

I'm pretty sure everyone should have expected that both Cilan and Iris would leave in this episode. Although I agree that the way they announced it was a bit forced, I think they really didn't need to be over-emotional in it. And there's a huge difference between Cilan/Iris and Dawn/Brock. Brock has been Ash's friend for so long, they traveled through four regions together. Dawn was taking part in contests with Ash cheering her on, and she was emotionally bounded with Ash as well. Iris and Cilan, on the other hand, where just travel companions. I'm not saying they weren't friends, because they were, however, they weren't as much of a friend to Ash as Brock or Dawn was.

To be honest i found out Brock/Iris/Cilan were much more of friends to Ash then May & Dawn ever were.

This goodbye episode was well done and interesting aswell as being emotional for the whole entire series, May's & Dawn's goodbye episodes weren't emotional are interesting at all.

Last edited:
I cried a little. Hope the English dub has their improv music in the flashbacks til the end.

Also, Now that Iris and Cilan are in Johto, let's see... Iris will meet Clair in Blackthorn City, plus she will meet Lance...
Cilan just goes around "tasting" different areas in Johto...
Someday they will meet the winner of the Wallace Cup...
I'm talking about Dawn.

Now Alexa and Ash will go ahead. Love how the Kanto and Johto connect, just like in Gen II. I think I'll play the Gold version again!

I like that the Rockets are allowed to do this again.

rockets_pose.png

ep013_rocket_j.jpg
ep013_rocket_u.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom