• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW141: Best Wishes! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Animation Team Kato
Screenplay Junki Takegami
Animation director Takashi Shinohara

While in sight of Vermilion City, Jessie, James and Meowth use a huge balloon to make the Decolore cruise ship float in the air with the passengers aboard. Team Rocket are not the only ones getting in the way of Ash, Iris and Cilan, but apparently, Porter is against them as well.

Best Wishes trio did not deserve this.

Seriously, the first half of the episode was focused on a completely ridiculous Team Rocket attack which ended up, as usual, with a failure. And the second half was Iris and Cilan deciding to go to Johto without any sort of build-up. Whoever was in charge of writing this episode did a terrible job. Terrible. Why didn't Tomioka work on this episode? Ugh, I am so pissed right now.

OH MY GOD, this was a Great Episode, I felt REALLY Emotional here in this Episode and after about 3 Years with Iris, Cilan, Pansage, and Axew I am going to Miss them all Truly I Think. This Episode for SURE gets a 10/10. This is all My Opinion here and I do not Care if it was GOF Awful I had Emotions going all Over the Place so I Still want to give it the Rating I gave for this Piece of Good Work I Personally Think.

Seriously, the first half of the episode was focused on a completely ridiculous Team Rocket attack which ended up, as usual, with a failure. And the second half was Iris and Cilan deciding to go to Johto without any sort of build-up. Whoever was in charge of writing this episode did a terrible job. Terrible. Why didn't Tomioka work on this episode? Ugh, I am so pissed right now.
You expected any different? It was obvious that this would happen.

I feel terrible for Iris and Dent for getting such a poor sendoff. For the past month I've been preparing for an emotional departure episode, knowing that despite the ups and downs of the Best Wishes saga, I'd be sad to see them go but.... This isn't exactly what I was hoping for.

The fact that the vast majority of the episode was dedicated to yet another ridiculous Team Rocket plot with nothing more interesting than the average filler episode, along with the fact that Iris and Dent's departure was so hastily shoved into the last few minutes makes me think that the writers had just.... given up by this point. It was a terrible sendoff that they didn't deserve.

0/10 would not bang

The first half with the Rocket trio was amazing. The motto, Musashi pulling double duty, the "attacking from below didn't work so let's try going at it from above...plan," the rubix cube bit at the end...I loved every second of it. Pansy being completely oblivious to everything was just icing on the cake.

The second half...eh, I'm glad I went into this with low expectations. The flashback was kind of nice but the lack of any real emotion during the actual departure itself just didn't feel right. I mean, Iris actually had to tell Kibago to say goodbye because it hadn't done so yet...that's quite different from what we got with Hikari's Potchama, isn't it?

Also, Dent randomly deciding to go to Muro Town in the Houen region...was there any foreshadowing to this whatsoever?

Good Team Rocket episode, good showing of Ash's pokemon, good XY preview but horrible departure episode.

Good Team Rocket episode, good showing of Ash's pokemon, good XY preview but horrible departure episode.

Good on all Accounts maybe the Farwell was Still Slow and Bland but I Felt Really Emotional Here.

Let's just be thankful this episode was just Iris and Dent's farewell from Satoshi, and not their farewell from the series proper. Also, Best Wishes is nearly over thank goodness. XY is certainly looking a lot more promising.

Anyway, some thoughts...
-Once again (and for the third episode in a row), Pansy is sidelined due to the writers not having a clue what to do with her. Seriously, couldn't she could have caught a more direct ferry (or, you know, a plane) to Pallet Town and met Satoshi there. Still, at least this time she wasn't running off to fetch something but below decks with headphones on so couldn't hear what was happening.
-Hope you guys have made the most of Team Rocket's Pokemon in this episode, chances are they'll be dumped at HQ next week.
-Any word on if the train that took Iris and Dent to Johto was the Linear Motorcar/Magnet Train? It'd be nice if that thing actually got completed in the show.
-Am I the only person hoping that Zuruggu was allowed to say goodbye to Kibago?

This was the lamest departure ep ever... I don't really like Iris and Cilan and even I think they didn't deserve this... the BW series killed the TRio for me and this ep kind of sealed the deal - I am so sad they'll continue to XY...

Why did Iris and Cilan decide to travel to the JOHTO region when they traveled all this way to Ash to see Kanto?

What is with the writers' obsession with the Johto region?

I was surprised at the heaviness of the TRio focus compared to, ya know, the other trio. But then I saw this:
Screenplay Junki Takegami

LOL. He's obviously missed writing the TRio with personality so much that he decided to totally sideline what should have been the main point of the episode in favour of fun antics!! I don't know why they let him write it...

What a disappointment. I expected so much more from departing episode but in the end we got meaningless battle against Team Rocklet which hijacked ship and tried to steal pokemon. Just to end up blasted of as usual.

Now i admit Iris and Cilan aren't my favorite Ash companions but over last three years i kinda grew to like them being fun, filled with energy traveling group. They deserved better send of than this and lack of emotion, suspense or attachment between Ash and his traveling companions was disappointing to see.
Where is sadness over leaving your friends? Emphasize on strong friendship holding them together while going through tough and fun times?
Hesitation over leaving those you lived, eat and pursued dreams with?

Seriously i thought writers would know to do better than this, but like most things in BW something which started promising ended rushed and poorly constructed.
I never thought i would say this but this was worst split among cast so far in series. Even AG finale was better than this.

Why did Iris and Cilan decide to travel to the JOHTO region when they traveled all this way to Ash to see Kanto?

What is with the writers' obsession with the Johto region?

Its like Yugioh counterpart of "Shadow of realm" where characters go to disappear never to be heard from or seen again. :-(

Also, Dent randomly deciding to go to Muro Town in the Houen region...was there any foreshadowing to this whatsoever?

He wants to make "IT'S TASTING TIME" a trendy saying in Hoenn, obviously.

It was a really great goodbye episode to me. BW series had an interesting run with Iris & Cilan they will always be remember.

Last edited:
TR was hilarious, and I loved that half of the episode, but what a lousy goodbye episode for Iris and Dent. I always find it amusing how Satoshi's friends never seem to care enough about him to tell him about their sudden plans to go off on an adventure on their own until the last moment. And Kibago and Pikachu's goodbye was pretty lame too. A bunch of people hated Potchama, but he was very much capable of real emotions, instead of only being able to act like a freaking baby all the time. This really should've been two episodes, but whatever, I'm much more excited about X and Y.

Hmmm. The first, oh, two-thirds or so of this episode was actually a ton of fun and an enjoyable watch. Seeing Musashi in that weird half-her, half-Kojiro get up while trying to speak like him was awesome and, in general, I enjoyed the antics that played out through the episode. But, yeah, the biggest problem with this episode in general is that it feels like it should have been two separate episodes, but the writers couldn't flesh either half out enough to make a full-length one, so they just jammed the two of them together. This is definitely one of the laziest departures we've had in a while, which is really disappointing because I love Dent and Iris.

Iris decided to go to Johto in order to challenge Clair in the Blackthorn Gym... and Cilan decided to go to Hoenn in order to do... what exactly? (couldn't recognize the city's name or the reason he's going there)
So actually Cilan will be in Hoenn and not in Johto like everyone thought... which I guess means Brock is in Hoenn now too?...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom