• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

California Proposition 8 PASSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyFlareon

bowtie coconut birb
Reaction score
Source: http://www.alternet.org/rights/106148/how_prop._8_could_dismantle_my_marriage/

So it's official. Proposition 8, the California proposition aimed to make gay marriage illegal in the state, has passed. It was a close race, 49% to 51%, but a win is a win.

All I can say is, this is a sad day in California history. We're usually such a liberal state -- never before have I actually been ashamed to say that I live here (except for a short period of time right after Arnold was elected governor), but now? This is quite possibly the biggest letdown in the state's whole history.

So as someone who has lived here all her life, and as someone who believed with her whole heart and soul that this proposition was fundamentally wrong and voted against it, I apologize for the actions of my state.

So...what happens to those who got married? Are their marriages still recognized? And, either way, what happens if they want a divorce?

http://www.365gay.com/news/sf-city-attorney-prepares-legal-challenge-to-prop-8/

Challenges are already in the works. This thing was passed in a very shady way trying to circumvent the state constitution. Hopefully it will be overturned soon.

So...what happens to those who got married? Are their marriages still recognized? And, either way, what happens if they want a divorce?

Essentially, they're stuck in legal limbo, since the Proposition was vague on several points, which is what will be used to fight it.

I guess I had my percentages wrong. There was actually a 4.7% or so difference between the results. Apologies for the mistake.

People gotta let people live how they live, some just can't go with the flow.

I hear they're still going to be recognized, or else it would be an ex post facto law. Which I'm not sure is correct logic but it's what I heard.

I never really got the reasoning behind the support of Prop 8, which is basically 'we want gays to have the same legal rights but we just don't want to call it marriage or have it taught to our kids in schools'. What it's called shouldn't matter, you have the right to get your kid out of any class that teaches things violating your religious or moral beliefs, and I'd love to see someone come out and say they support resegregation because they want the right to teach their kids to be racist.

Seriously, I think I might actually be more pissed off about the fact that people who supported this prop used their children to the extent that they did -- and not just 'because we want to protect them.' *gag*

When I went home on the past two weekends, there was a group of people standing on the corners of major intersections with 'Yes on Prop 8' signs. But what's more, they had their children out there with them, none of them looking any older than 10, holding the signs too. I barely resisted giving them all the finger every time I passed them (and I always seemed to be turning so that I had to pass close to their corner, or get stopped right beside them >.<)

Also, last Sunday night, my mom noticed someone coming to the door and went to answer it; some of these people were going around my neighborhood sending their little 8 year old kid up to doors to put flyers supporting Prop 8 on them. I told my mom that I was glad she had answered the door, because if it had been me, I would have stormed outside (in my pj's, no less) and delivered some very choice words to that kid's parents.

It infuriates me how these people used their children like this! I mean, come on, at that age, kids don't think for themselves. If mommy and daddy say it, then it has to be right. That's just the way kids work. But these people are practically brainwashing their children when they use them in this fashion, teaching them that discrimination and segregation are A-ok because it makes them 'safe.' Bullshit. I don't remember a time where I've ever been this livid.

That ain't right, the kids have no idea what they are even doing, I bet they were bribed with candy and video games.

I don't think so, FE 6X. I think they were just doing what their parents told them -- these kids were young. Most kids of their age don't need to be bribed into doing things.

See, I would have made it a POINT to educate the kids myself. I would have gone up to the children and said "did you know your mommy and daddy are trying to use you to ban people from getting married? That's right, they're using you to fight against love!"

And if the parents have a problem with it, I'd point out how sick and depraved they must be to be so virulently anti-love in the first place, but that they use their children as political pawns. And I'd make sure everyone in the area knew it, too. Because things like that can't be kept quiet. Things like that have to be shouted from the rooftops, and I don't mean metaphorically.

Because how many of those kids will be prevented from marrying by that same law?

Don't kids think love is ew? I used to anyway, I was too young to understand....

See, I would have made it a POINT to educate the kids myself. I would have gone up to the children and said "did you know your mommy and daddy are trying to use you to ban people from getting married? That's right, they're using you to fight against love!"

And if the parents have a problem with it, I'd point out how sick and depraved they must be to be so virulently anti-love in the first place, but that they use their children as political pawns. And I'd make sure everyone in the area knew it, too. Because things like that can't be kept quiet. Things like that have to be shouted from the rooftops, and I don't mean metaphorically.

Yeah, well, my city seemed to have such a goddamned hard-on for passing this proposition...it's disgustingly conservative. McCain and Palin signs were everywhere, too, but that's a whole different thread. *sigh*

Because how many of those kids will be prevented from marrying by that same law?

Considering how heavily homosexuals are discriminated against in Temecula? Even if their kids do turn out to be gay, they'll be too scared to ever come out of the closet about it.

Which is why Prop 8 should have been shot down. *shakes head* How we managed to go blue and help put Obama into office, I'll never know

NO. Why should the government have a say in how they live?

Oh my God...I just have no words for this. Right after Obama is elected, we get hit in the face with this shit. I honestly believed that California would go aganist Prop. 8, but who was I kidding, this is the state with the terminator for governor (no offense Emerald_Dragonite).

About the people using their kids for to support this, that's just messed up. I think children should not be involved in politics, no matter what mommy and daddy say. Until they can think for themselves, they should not be showing any support for a law or candidate. That seems like downright brainwashing on the parent's side. Let your children look out the window and use their own brains for once! (when they can, that is).
We had the same problem here in Louisiana as well, there were entire families standing on the streets waving McCain/Palin signs...along with their little children. That sent chills down my spine. I never felt that angry or freaked out in my life.

Last edited:
No offense taken, Irinya. I don't know how "Ahnuld" got to be in the governor's office, either.

However, there is hope. There is a group on Facebook (here: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32226144639&ref=mf) that is committed to taking action in repealing Prop 8. There may yet still be hope that this law will be shot down and never revived.

Wait, what are you talking about? I know California has a Republican governor (my gosh I cannot say that with a straight face), but both of Cali's Senators are Democrats and they've been voting blue for Pres since 1992.

However, there is hope. There is a group on Facebook (here: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32226144639&ref=mf) that is committed to taking action in repealing Prop 8. There may yet still be hope that this law will be shot down and never revived.

A hopeful group, the the real question here is if it will work. There always have been groups like these after some political action was passed, but few were effective. *crosses figures* maybe this will be different.

@Snake Bandage: That did not stop the Californians from voting aganist Proposition 8. They may like their democratic reps, but they sure don't go with the liberal views. This is seriously getting depressing. :(

@Snake Bandage: That did not stop the Californians from voting aganist Proposition 8. They may like their democratic reps, but they sure don't go with the liberal views. This is seriously getting depressing. :(

I just read that it was because of the huge turnout of black people. Guess they aren't terribly liberal about that kind of thing. =/

Whatever. It's just a hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom