• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Came across this interesting translation post about Blue's teasing comment at the end of GSC

Vchanfan

Reaction score

I just wanted to share it with everyone else, but also, I have a curious question. Is living together another way of saying "to be romantically involved" (In which case, she's teasing all of them being romantically involved with each other) or am I reading too much into it and the other three are just embarrassed at the thought of living together at all.

I can't open that link.
tumblr_obdajufD5I1tx9gv9o1_1280.png
tumblr_obdajufD5I1tx9gv9o2_1280.png

tumblr_obdajufD5I1tx9gv9o3_400.png
Post's Text:

I was talking to a friend who confused about the version and the difference in dialogue in which one is correct. I personally never cared or noticed, I always assumed she meant it for everyone until I revisited the Chuang Yi version, the version that everyone reads off of unless you have $$$ to buy Viz’s box set, which is also censored to a degree.

So let’s compare.

Blue’s raw dialogue is:

迷うようなら。

「いっそみんなで一緒に暮らし」たらどうかしら!!」

Which translated to english (and how I read it) is:

If you can’t decide,

Rather, I wonder if it’s better off with everyone living together!!

Blue specifically said 「みんなで」 - “everyone”. She could’ve easily said 「あなたたち」- anatatachi or 「三人で」- sanninde, which is “you all” (excluding herself and the others), or “you three”. Instead, she referred to all the dexholders, herself included.

If you don’t believe me, throw the dialogue into google translate. The core words are there and any translator won’t mess up a line that simple.

Chuang Yi made the mistake by only referring to Yellow and Misty, where as the original japanese wrote 「みんなで一緒に暮らし」 which is “everyone living together”. The omission of including herself is weird because this line was said before at the end of the Yellow arc. She was clearly mocking a line Red used before to poke fun.

Viz made a localization change, but kept the core of the translation correct, only changing the terms from living together to traveling to make it more kid-friendly.

So I guess to sum it up, to all the “Chuang Yi” elitists, Chuang Yi makes some blunders. Viz by no means is perfect, I will literally shred the translator who did FRLG, but their translations sometimes are just as accurate, or more accurate.

But it just seems like a really strange choice of words that can’t be possibly messed up unless it was an intentional thing on Chuang Yi’s part to start a shipwar between Misty and Yellow, when the original core message was for everyone to be together.

Chuang Yi omitting Blue from a statement meant to include her, Green, and the GSC gang.

Viz has some weird nonsense going in FRLG where they made Green be less hostile towards Blue, being nice to her (when the panel shows him being annoyed), and also changing his lines from “Has anyone told you that you talk too much… stupid girl” to “You’re the real MVP to me”.

“Blah blah blah Luckyshipper just mad because Chuang Yi is clearly more faithful and he’s just salty that Blue wasn’t involved in the harem, shaddup already! >:U”. I get it, honestly I do. However… when you’ve taken 4 years of Japanese, read the series to death from age 4 and still to this day, and you wonder what the original script says, and to your surprise, it was like a combination of both Viz and Chuang Yi’s translation, you’d be upset that you aren’t getting the faithful translation because something, or someone from both sides are up to their own shenanigans.

Really… can I just get the manga with the translation being faithful to the Japanese script without some asinine translator being biased towards ships or inserting their own headcanons into the story? God damn.

Post's Text:
Thanks!
I just wanted to share it with everyone else, but also, I have a curious question. Is living together another way of saying "to be romantically involved" (In which case, she's teasing all of them being romantically involved with each other) or am I reading too much into it and the other three are just embarrassed at the thought of living together at all.
Well, for starters, that post you linked is wrong. I don't know where they got the idea of "instead she referred to all the dexholders herself included" thing considering Blue was just quoting what Red told to Yellow back then.
258d19d99bcc84f48e1421647f45cb5d_600.jpg

20210413_180946.jpg
Original line: いっそ、みんなで一緒に暮らすか!? なんちゃって〜
My translation: "Let's all live together!? Just kidding~"
Red is jokingly referring there to himself, Yellow and Pikachu, much to poor Yellow's dismay.
tumblr_obdajufD5I1tx9gv9o1_1280.png
20210413_190754.jpg
Original line: 迷うようなら、「いっそみんなで一緒に暮らし」たらどうかしら!!
My translation: "If you can't figure it out, how about that 'Let's all live together' thing!"
Here, Blue is referring to Red, Yellow and Kasumi and making fun of their situation by quoting what Red said to Yellow back then, much to their dismay.

Thanks!

Well, for starters, that post you linked is wrong. I don't know where they got the idea of "instead she referred to all the dexholders herself included" thing considering Blue was just quoting what Red told to Yellow back then.
Original line: いっそ、みんなで一緒に暮らすか!? なんちゃって〜
My translation: "Let's all live together!? Just kidding~"
Red is jokingly referring there to himself, Yellow and Pikachu, much to poor Yellow's dismay.
Original line: 迷うようなら、「いっそみんなで一緒に暮らし」たらどうかしら!!
My translation: "If you can't figure it out, how about that 'Let's all live together' thing!"
Here, Blue is referring to Red, Yellow and Kasumi and making fun of their situation by quoting what Red said to Yellow back then, much to their dismay.

Ah, okay. Thank you!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom