• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Camping and Cooking

Mezase CURRY MASTER!!! Looking forward to making some super spicy curry using only Cheri Berries. It'll be interesting to see the kind of curry you can make with super rare Berries like the Starf Berry or the Enigma Berry too. I also love how the Pokémon are included in the cooking process too as opposed to the Poffin making in previous games, it really makes it feel more like you're on a camping trip with all your Pokémon friends. On top of that curry is my favorite real life food, so this feature is one I'm so excited for :3
What about using Tamato Berries? They are supposedly even more spicy.

for me personally, this makes up for the seeming absence of following!!

I do also really like the idea that it will be possible to sometimes camp and eat, instead of go to a center, and apparently even receive some Exp depending on the quality of the food!! The idea of camping has been in the game via the Camper class essentially from Gen 1 and more officially since Gen 2, and now there is this wonderful new context for what it actually can be!

you know all this great stuff about pokemon camping in these games makes me seriously wonder even more about the "playable content" of Home because i figured it would have been this.

When they introduced pokemon amie, I thought it was fantastic. It shows that pokemon are your friends, not just battle machines. I was afraid they would remove it in future games. I was sad that they removed the mini games in pokemon refresh. But pokrmon camp seems to be better than amie, with minigames and pokemon interacting with each other. I hope pokemon can be friends with each other and this may affect double battles with them.

pokemon home might be a big pokemon camp, but with all pokemon, not only some of them.

I would say I like it. It feels like the most "complete" way to raise Affection with your Pokémon so far, as opposed to simply petting them lots and lots, or taking pictures with them.

And if Gen IV remakes do come in 2020, I would be very surprised if this feature did not carry over to those games with Poffins taking the place of Curries.

The clip of Gloria really loving the taste of the Curry and scarfing it down made me wonder: Will it be possible for the Player Character to not like it/spit it out if you screw up the cooking process? Will your character love/hate a certain Berry flavor, like Pokémon used to based on their Natures?

Amie and Refresh grew old pretty quickly. I am not so sure this is a lot different, given my distaste for cooking fictional curry. Not to mention that the benefits to battling are nothing we haven't seen before. Why not have Pokemon befriend each other for better synergy in double battles?

I wish I could be in awe of recycled animations and the occasional new ones, but I do have the anime for better immersion and dogs for the real deal. I prefer following Pokemon because they're integrated into regular gameplay.

Amie and Refresh grew old pretty quickly. I am not so sure this is a lot different, given my distaste for cooking fictional curry. Not to mention that the benefits to battling are nothing we haven't seen before. Why not have Pokemon befriend each other for better synergy in double battles?

Who says that camping won't give an "affinity boost" or similar stat? Like, if you use two Pokémon that are affine / have befriended each other during camping, they could gain some bonuses during fights. For example, if one of them is knocked out, the other could gain a one-turn boost in offenses (like a pseudo-Retaliate).

Sure, it's useless for competitive battling, but it would be a neat in-game thing to showcase the bond not only between Pokémon and Trainer, but also between Pokémon and Pokémon.

It would be nice to have the Trick Master make a cameo and give a new type of tent for camping. I'd like for the tents to be customisable.

Edit: can we have Brock be the tutorial guide for camping and cooking...or better yet, CIlan!

Last edited:
Following pokemon got old really quick in LGPE and I soon found myself turning it off. It was just kind of boring and they felt kind of lifeless. I don't know why, but it just didn't feel the same as in HGSS. Even if it does get a little repetitive, I'm looking forward to seeing my team actually interact with each other.

Some things I noticed from rewatching the trailers:

In the japanese trailer it looks like Yamper is chasing Wooloo as it rolls away. This could indicative that there are some species exclusive interactions.

I also noticed that it looks like your pokemon will sometimes have races in the background. I saw what looked like Pikachu and Scorbunny racing and Grookey and scorbunny racing. Scorbunny won both times and then celebrated. It could be something that just Scorbunny does with other pokemon because it likes to run.

Following pokemon got old really quick in LGPE and I soon found myself turning it off. It was just kind of boring and they felt kind of lifeless. I don't know why, but it just didn't feel the same as in HGSS. Even if it does get a little repetitive, I'm looking forward to seeing my team actually interact with each other.
I feeled like LGPE following pokemon were a little awkward. too big and the constant popping in and out of the pokeball (which was the most annoying if it was a riding pokemon) and some areas your pokemon could not fit at all haha
HGSS they were just cute little sprites that were not out of portioned to the environment.

I feeled like LGPE following pokemon were a little awkward. too big and the constant popping in and out of the pokeball (which was the most annoying if it was a riding pokemon) and some areas your pokemon could not fit at all haha
HGSS they were just cute little sprites that were not out of portioned to the environment.
Interesting to know that despite so many people wishing for following pokemon to come back, LGPE bringing it back resulted in mixed reactions.

Yeah, the following Pokémon in LGPE were cute when it was small first-stages, but things did get quite awkward/annoying when they got to bigger forms that kept popping in and out.

Camping seems like a brilliant take on the idea of following... At any time, you can set up camp and hang out WITH YOUR WHOLE TEAM, everyone interacting together.

Well, at least it was better than Colosseum with Rui, since she could trap you in certain areas because you couldn't walk through her.

Fantastic, just fantastic! I love how realistic it is in regards to a Trainer traveling-and as I'm a huge fan of the anime, I love that we, too, can now set up camp and let our entire Pokemon party interact with each other. And visiting other player's camps while checking out their parties? Yes!

I was a bit indifferent about the curry when I first heard of it, but after seeing the cooking process, the fact that you get to eat it with your Pokemon (curry-only diets, here we come haha), and the expressions both the Trainer and Pokemon can have, I love it.

Interesting to know that despite so many people wishing for following pokemon to come back, LGPE bringing it back resulted in mixed reactions.
yeah but i think the way the kanto region was built, it didn't have much room to provide for pokemon scaled for size difference. Galar on the other hand looks more open in the environment, or at least it does in the wild area where they put most of the over world pokemon as far as I am aware. If they brought following pokemon back in the future, I think it may be done a little better.

Yeah; it confuses me quite a bit. I really, really wanted following pokemon to return until I played LGPE. If I had to give a reason why I didn't like, I think it would be because of overworld encounters. With all the wild pokemon on screen, my pokemon kind of got lost in the mix; especially since they often fall behind. Maybe it would look better with larger routes, or less wild pokemon, or a game with more variety in the dex so your pokemon doesn't look like one of the wild pokemon,; I don't know. I just know it didn't add anything to the experience for me, personally.

Well, at least it was better than Colosseum with Rui, since she could trap you in certain areas because you couldn't walk through her.

Off topic, but my BFF and I hated her. She got in the way of things (like potentially trapping you) and since we had a guide, we knew which Pokémon were shadowed, her constant “mindflash” to tell you was irritating. My friend had chosen the name Yuki from the list of pre-selected names and I promptly dubbed her “Yucky” lol.

If I had to give a reason why I didn't like, I think it would be because of overworld encounters. With all the wild pokemon on screen, my pokemon kind of got lost in the mix; especially since they often fall behind. Maybe it would look better with larger routes, or less wild pokemon

I’d imagine that following Pokémon would be better in a game like SwSh because the region is designed around overworld encounters and a non-grind layout, reducing the chance of clutter and confusion.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom