• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Camping and Cooking

Wasn't there that whole subplot in Gen 2 about Team Rocket stealing Slowpokes because their tails are considered a delicacy?

There was, but I think the problem there was (or at least has come to be, through the power of retcon) more about Team Rocket deliberately cutting off the tails rather than waiting for them to fall off naturally, which they do according to Slowpoke's Pokédex entry in Sun. For instance, you can't buy any, but Slowpoke tails are listed as being on sale at the Thrifty Megamart in the Alola games. Presumably there are ethical Slowpoke farmers who harvest and sell the naturally shed tails, and then you have the black markets that try to make more money by producing them at an accelerated rate through forced severance.

Last edited:
Everyone is forgetting about Piloswine and Mamoswine. Sure they're not domesticated pigs, but they're still boars none the less.

They are both probably very lean and juicy once you get past all the fur.

Last edited:
Bruh Galar didn't wipe out all the pokemon not-native to their country they just don't let em come in.

That said. Oh boy. Sweet, sweet Muk/Trubbish/all the squishy bugs sausages!

Ever tried Charjabug sausage? It’s shockingly good.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to the camping feature. It seems like a very logical step forward after Amie/Refresh, and it also makes more sense. Plus, as others have stated, I'm curious to know how the Mons, specifically certain ones, would interact in camp. Such as, say, Seviper and Zangoose (if they make it in). Will they brawl in the middle of the camp? Or will they "tolerate" each other for their trainer's sake? Since XY programmed them to duke it out first during mixed horde battles instead of focusing on your Mon, I wonder if such a thing would be implemented here as well. And, for that matter, if they both make it into the dex, do they duke it out in the Wild Area as per their nature without you needing to battle them? It does open up some interesting possibilities.

Anyway, before I get too deep into that, let's move on. The fact that we can now see all of our teammates interact together adds a great deal of realism to it. And since you can call over up to two Mons at once (as shown by Sobble and Mimikyu), it could help make affection and such grow faster without needing to divert a large amount of time to each Mon individually, as well as possibly see their respective Natures in action (like, say, seeing a Timid Nature Mon being eager to play with its friends and so on). Although I do admit that last bit might not remotely make it, it would add an extra layer of realism to the situation. After all, as far as I know, Emerald actually battle facilities that allowed your Mons to battle in relation to their set Natures, so it could happen.

Next up, the curry making minigame reminds me a lot of Poffins (which could be a not-so-subtle hint that Sinnoh remakes could be on the way, but we shall see), and it actually looks like more fun. While the whole "cook curry with up to 4 people" thing won't happen to me anytime soon, it does look like fun. Plus, the fact that curry actually has benefits like recovering HP, boosting affection, and so on. On top of that, seeing both the trainers and Mons emote in response to the curry's flavor is something I'll really enjoy seeing (lots better than the Gen 7 protags' vacant smile of doom). Let's just hope Lan Hikari doesn't learn of this or he'll devour all of your hard work before your Mons get a bite. chuckles

On a last note, when it comes to where things like the sausages come from, I like to think that there are regular animals in the Poke-world. Sure, as we know, Pokemon are considered edible (Basculin's entry outright states that it's tasty), and we've seen Ash, May, and others eat burgers, but I like to think that there might be some regular animals that act as food sources that don't get shown. For example, in the early anime, Pidgeotto ate a regular worm, and when the S.S. Anne sank, we saw normal fish, and in XY's Le Nah restaurant, they cook you fish (and didn't specify if it was regular fish or a fish Mon). Now, I know that we haven't seen that ever since, but it could be possible, as I get a little squicked at the thought of eating something that could be a pet/friend. Or they could be meat substitutes, like Bocca burgers. It's probably better we don't know, but I like to think that the Poke-world has unseen livestock animals for that purpose, while the Mons serve their intended purpose.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the subject. I'm looking forward to seeing what else camping can do.

Oh yes. Curry is the absolute best. The spices and the spicyness make me water my mouth.

Wonder if they will use original or hindi names and inspirations for them? It would be interesting if they use the latter. Thought, that might lead to lamb curry aka. Wooloo or Mareep curry. Still, lamb curry is delicious.

I've never had curry before so I have absolutely no idea what this food would taste like. Kind of disappointing they only let you make one kind of food when they could have had all kinds of dishes and have a 'cookdex' instead of a 'currydex'.

I mean, I know why they probably did it. Curry's a popular thing I guess, and all they really have to do is change textures on the models and add bits to it so it'd be a safe and easy thing for them to put in so they don't have to put too much effort into it.

Also when it comes to playing with your pokemon I just had the mental image of tossing one of the toy balls at a Pikachu and having it smack it back at you like Pikachu does to its pokeball after Ash's mom comments on it not being inside its pokeball.

I've never had curry before so I have absolutely no idea what this food would taste like. Kind of disappointing they only let you make one kind of food when they could have had all kinds of dishes and have a 'cookdex' instead of a 'currydex'.

It´s good, but I think it is not for everyone. It´s even more spicy compared to Mexican food. I get teary eyes whenever I eat it.
Still, not all of it is like that. There are some that are sweet, and even vegetarian. If the game reflects that as well, we are looking at a lot of variety in the currydex.

It´s good, but I think it is not for everyone. It´s even more spicy compared to Mexican food. I get teary eyes whenever I eat it.
Still, not all of it is like that. There are some that are sweet, and even vegetarian. If the game reflects that as well, we are looking at a lot of variety in the currydex.

It also depends on where the curry is from. Like for example English and Japanese curries are a lot milder than let's say Thai and Indian curries. The spiciest I've had is probably red Thai curry.

Personally, since Tikka Masala is a popular dish in the UK. Curry makes sense. There's also a lot more to do with curry then fish and chips or shepard's pie or hagis (the poor wooloo) or blood pudding or whatever stereotypical and real British food you could think of.

I wish with the curry making that we could make enough to feed all of our Pokemon at once. Even though it seems like the whole team can cook together, it looks like you can only eat with one other. :cry:

Actually, I think we do get to feed all our Mons at once. I'm guessing that the Mon in the front of your party is the one who gets the extra emote animation, as I doubt that you'd be cooking such a huge pot of curry for only one Mon to actually get the benefits of it. After all, when you start cooking the curry, all six teammates are eagerly surrounding you, so it'd be pretty mean for only one Mon out of them to actually get all the goods. They just probably can't show all six getting to taste it (and their reactions to it) on one screen due to technical limitations, so they simplify it by showing the player and the first Mon on the team eating. At least that's what I assume.

Curry itself is extremely varied in flavor profiles, so I get why they chose it. There's also the popularity of Japanese curry in Japan as well as curry in the UK.

Side note: anyone who doesn't think they like curry because they hate spicy food should really try Japanese curry. It's FANTASTIC.

Actually, I think we do get to feed all our Mons at once. I'm guessing that the Mon in the front of your party is the one who gets the extra emote animation, as I doubt that you'd be cooking such a huge pot of curry for only one Mon to actually get the benefits of it. After all, when you start cooking the curry, all six teammates are eagerly surrounding you, so it'd be pretty mean for only one Mon out of them to actually get all the goods. They just probably can't show all six getting to taste it (and their reactions to it) on one screen due to technical limitations, so they simplify it by showing the player and the first Mon on the team eating. At least that's what I assume.

I guess it would just be more satisfying for me if you could actually see all of the Pokemon eating depending on how many you have, like with more split-screens. Or if the animation with the trainer and one Pokemon was followed up with another brief one showing the others eating. The way it is now, in my mind, it seems that only one Pokemon gets to eat.

It's not really a bad thing, but it my case, it just means I'll be making a looooooooooot, of curry so I can see them all eat it :p

I guess it would just be more satisfying for me if you could actually see all of the Pokemon eating depending on how many you have, like with more split-screens. Or if the animation with the trainer and one Pokemon was followed up with another brief one showing the others eating. The way it is now, in my mind, it seems that only one Pokemon gets to eat.

It's not really a bad thing, but it my case, it just means I'll be making a looooooooooot, of curry so I can see them all eat it :p

I'm all for that. And maybe there will be follow-up screens where the other Mons get their time to emote over the curry, as it's possible that the trailers only showed the Trainer/first Mon reactions and not the others to keep it short and to the point. Of course, this is GF we're talking about. They don't always go the extra mile, but maybe they will this time. After all, it seems that most of their animation budget went into the camp/curry-eating scenes. Who knows? But if there are extra screens that pop up after the first one and we just didn't see it due to the shortness of the trailers, then that would be stellar. At the very least it might give us prompts saying "Gloria's Pokemon enjoyed the curry. They are now full." or something like that. We'll just have to wait and see, as we only know only a bit of what stuff like curry and the various toys do at camp.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom