• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can anyone fix these 503s

Shinx3000

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this and I was fed up with trying to find a place and getting 503'd but is there any fix for it? I get them every other link I click or post I try to post. I am now even getting as much 504's as 503's and its annoying trying to do anything if every two seconds you get this.

Edit, got a 504 as well trying to post this

Yeah, same.
I get them everytime I click something.
Guess we gotta wait for it to be fixed somehow.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that this has been said before in other threads, but it is not a "fixable" issue. HGSS strain is doing this. Its not something we can just go click a button to "fix." And if BP was still open we wouldn't have a site to go to at all.

Only way to fix it would be to stop people coming from the site, literally. The errors are because the websites are being viewed a lot, a lot of traffic, so yeah.
It's not fixable unless you stop everyone from coming onto the site, it'll probably stop in a few weeks once the whole "OMG HGSS" after-hype stops...

Until the fifth generation games are released and really kill the site.

We are continually evaluating our hardware to ensure that we can properly serve you guys. Right now the reason we have 503's is because our servers aren't all working perfectly together. When they're fully optimized and we have lots of 503's, it'll be time for another server. That could occur tomorrow or ten months from now; we've just gotta keep an eye on our data.

I believe there's only two ways to stop the 503s.. Either Stop people from viewing the site, or add more servers.. and Servers cost money to bug, and maintain. So, maybe you should try donating to bulbapedia so they may buy some more. x3

Bulbagarden has not accepted donations for many years, and we never again will accept donations. The kind of money we could raise through them in comparison to the amount of money needed to pay for a server, or the amount of money we already raise through advertising, is a pittance. Total annual costs for Bulbagarden have long since exceeded $100,000 US. Donations just don't cut it.

I'm starting to feel guilty about using an ad blocker, but I worry about a virus that is downloaded onto systems by a new kind of hacked ad, and hijacks your web browser and redirects you to a different site from the intended one, sometimes allowing other kinds of viruses in. Also, from what I can tell, Macs and Linux based systems aren't immune to these new viruses as they run within the browser's flash plug-in, and not on the OS itself.

As for the 503 errors, if HGSS traffic is that bad, then you will need at least 10 servers to handle the load that Gen V will cause. I remember when Gen IV came out and I started getting "509 - Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" and "502 - Bad Gateway" errors (I even saw a leftover "418 - I'm a teapot" error once, but I didn't think much about it). I would suggest limiting forum access to members' IP addresses only, turning off all editing privileges on Bulbapedia (even for Admins) and shutting down any non-essential resources during the Gen V rush. As for HGSS's rush, getting the servers synchronized and optimized will help a lot. A RAM upgrade would help too if you have access to the server hardware. Over all, however, at least on my end, the 503s are tolerable.

If you'll notice, uptime is a lot better now than it has been in the past. We don't have days where the server is completely inaccessible, for instance, which was the norm for quite a while. We're learning from what's happened to us in the past, but of course there are new issues that crop up and sometimes load spikes are unexpectedly high.

We'll cross the Gen V bridge when we come to it, but all in all the HGSS surge has been handled quite capably.

For the record Luxray, a RAM upgrade will most certainly not help. We don't take second measures with our servers. Their hardware is fully expanded to their limits before we even get them. The weakest server we run has 8 quad core CPU's and 24 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Also, I would suggest that anyone using a proper combination of anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall software (even just free ones, such as Avast!, Malware Bytes and Comodo) that are kept fully up to date should never encounter any problems with our ads, even if nasty ones do sneak in.

Last edited:
I sure hope you get the servers in top condition for the Gen V stress. The traffic now is minuscule compared to the traffic the site will get when Gen V is released.

Master Luxray, did you really get the 418? I've never seen that one in my whole life, and I'm pretty sure it was only viewable on April 1, 1998, with the "Hypertext Coffepot" joke.

Is there any way the site can be refined to reduce server strain? That might be a solution. I have no idea, I just wanna help with my suggestions.

Love the new skin, guys. :)

Anyway, the 503s haven't plagued me as much since Server 5 went up (today's the first day in forever that I haven't experienced a 503, though I'm sure I'll get one tonight, when site traffic usually peaks.)

EDIT: Oh the irony... I just got 503'd while returning to the forum index, and got 504'd trying to edit this post :p

witht his teme it makes me feel like i am using a monochrome monitor thank goodness we still have color buttons i wish all the themes were back though cuase this one annoys me

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom