• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can Ghost pokemon eat?

IceShadow1199

Bouncy
Reaction score
In many cartoons, you see food going through ghosts' bodies and then coming out.

In that case, would Ghost pokemon be able to eat? If not, what do they do to survive?

Well in the games they can eat berries, poffins, Pokeblocks, rare candies, drink HP-recovering drinks, lava cookies, etc.

Seems legit.

I'm sure some of them do, but I have to wonder about Golett and Golurk. I mean, they move because of the mysterious energy that burns inside of them and neither one of them has a mouth. So yeah, I'm kinda stumped here... :confused:

I always assumed ghosts (and other strange cases like Starmie) directly absorbed the energy/life force/whatever of whatever it was they're consuming.

Ghosts feed on emotions and souls.

No, seriously. And on other abstract things like life essence.

Some others probably eat specific things or don't eat, given they are undead or simply spirits.

Like a few people said here, it depends. The general diet would be spirit like stuff.

Some ghost pokemon have specific diets, like Sableye and the Litwick line.
I could imagine rotom eating electricity.It wouldn't really "eat it" but rather absorb it. sort of like a combination of eating/breathing/drinking.

The Golurk line would probably eat metal, or metal related things. That is saying they would eat. they may not be able too due to the fact that they are robots.

Ghost Pokemon aren't true ghosts. They're living organisms so I would assume that they do eat like other animals.

Ghost pokemon do eat and they are indeed living creatures like the Boos in the mario games.

Doesn't Drowzee or Hypno eat dreams? Can't really remember...and, there's an attack (Nightmare?) that cuts down on your sleeping foe's HP.

Ghost Pokemon aren't true ghosts. They're living organisms so I would assume that they do eat like other animals.

Yamask used to be a human, it's pokedex entry says it's mask is it's face when it used to be human.

Yamask used to be a human, it's pokedex entry says it's mask is it's face when it used to be human.

We really can't trust Pokedex entries too often. Many entries are pure lore or generous exaggerations. This is especially true for Pokemon who have connections to past cultures or have the potential to make supernatural ties.

Don't believe everything the pokedex says, it is mostly full of BS and shouldn't always be used for learning about pokemon.

I don't understand why you shouldn't believe the pokédex when it talks about relatively tame things on entirely supernatural pokemon.

When it starts throwing around crazy numbers talking about physical and biological phenomena, it's okay. But we are taling about ghosts. "Not always being true" shouldn't mean NEVER being true

I think they can eat, because their etheriality (is this a word?), okay, their untouchability is controlled by their will, as suggested by the animé and/or is only triggered by some things , as suggested by the games. So, I'd go with, they can but don't have to / eat too often

Ghosts feed on emotions and souls.

No, seriously. And on other abstract things like life essence.

Some others probably eat specific things or don't eat, given they are undead or simply spirits.
It was said in the Hoenn 'Dex that Misdreavus would startle people and use their fear as a source of nutrition, so that makes sense. But what sort of emotion would a non-threatening Ghost consume? I can't see a Golett trying to scare anyone silly to survive off a person's fear and I don't see a Golurk acting as an energy vampire, either. I don't think either one of them would subsist on negative emotions, given what little data we know about them. Perhaps it's the close bonds and the friendships that these two form with their chosen Trainers that "keeps them going", if you will.

It's a thought.
The Golurk line would probably eat metal, or metal related things. That is saying they would eat. they may not be able too due to the fact that they are robots.
Or maybe they live off energon. Hey, the 'Dex did say that energy source is unknown...! :lol:

It was said in the Hoenn 'Dex that Misdreavus would startle people and use their fear as a source of nutrition, so that makes sense. But what sort of emotion would a non-threatening Ghost consume? I can't see a Golett trying to scare anyone silly to survive off a person's fear and I don't see a Golurk acting as an energy vampire, either. I don't think either one of them would subsist on negative emotions, given what little data we know about them. Perhaps it's the close bonds and the friendships that these two form with their chosen Trainers that "keeps them going", if you will.
Well, Misdreavus itself is not actually threatening... It simply feeds on fear, but means no harm.
Other ghost pokémon like shuppet feed of negative emotions, for instance.

Golett and Golurk... well, they are enchanted golems. So I figure they could actually run on some sort of magical energy as source of power, rather than more spiritual and abstract things like life or emotions.

"Man, that meal went right through me!!"

Litwick feeds on life energy, yes; as does Jellicent. Frillish is described in the Pokedex as predatory, though I'd imagine it feeds on life energy rather than the physical body of it's prey. Cofagrigus feeds on gold, and Drifloon feeds on children (theoretically).

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom