• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can Pokemon Ever Regain Iconic Status/Popularity?

I'd just like to add that I work at an elementary school. I've asked kids what they think of Pokemon and the common response is "Pokemon sucks!" or that it just isn't cool anymore.

Meh. Let 'em think that. More fun for us!
yea, you go @Hyper Potion! i WAYYY agree with you! Like you said, sucks to be them:ksmile:!

yea, you go @Hyper Potion! i WAYYY agree with you! Like you said, sucks to be them:ksmile:!

I'd just like to add that I work at an elementary school. I've asked kids what they think of Pokemon and the common response is "Pokemon sucks!" or that it just isn't cool anymore.

Meh. Let 'em think that. More fun for us!

Gasp The kids dont know what there missing out on:XD2:

Well mabey when there older they will find out why some meny people both young and old find ti fun to train little mosters and beat the shit outta the other guys monsters with yours.

I think the latest Macy's Parade proved Pokemon's still holding strong.

It's definitely still iconic - you'd be considered as living under a rock if you were unfamiliar with the franchise, at least in North America.

Could it become a major fad again like it was when it first hit the states? It's possible, but highly unlikely at this point.

It very slowly went down, but I think it will be years and years from now until it has the same status as TMNT or Power rangers.

It very slowly went down, but I think it will be years and years from now until it has the same status as TMNT or Power rangers.

Power Rangers seem like they could be making a comeback, since Saban bought the series back and seem to be trying to push the series.

But yeah, I think that Pokemon is still very popular. Perhaps you don't hear people talk about it a lot like when it first came out, but it's still probably one of the most popular game series around. Like the others have pointed out, it seems like a question of when, not if, Pokemon will pass Nintendo for the best selling game franchise of all-time.

Pokémon is still popular but will it reach the apex of popularity it had in the late '90s?

To be honest, I doubt it unless something utterly groundbreaking occurs - even beyond Generation V's.

The reason people think pokemon has lost its status is because of natural degeneration.

Nearly every game ever, as soon as it is released gets a lot of fuss. After a while, the games being bought goes down because people are busy playing the said game.

TCG doesnt really get played any more. Kids dont have the determination to collect cards any more. Theyd much rather get pokemon leafgreen and play it over and over again.
It requires less money, less effort and less friends who laugh at you when they find out you still have pokemon cards.

According to Wikipedia and some basic addition, based on the main series of games alone

G1 (RBY) = 32 million+ sold
G2 (GSC) = 20 million+
G3 (RSE and FRLGG) = 31 million+. Not to mention they were the three best-sellers on the GBA
G4 (DPPt and HGSS) = 35 million+
And BW were the fastest-selling DS games ever before they were even released.

Despite all the "old purists", Generation 2 actually sold the least. Meanwhile, G4 sold more than any generation. Just not the most of any individual pair (DP did sell more than GS though)

It's definitely popular (based on these numbers, maybe getting even more popular), and G5 will definitely push it further. It's just not a groundbreaking new series anymore.

Or am I wrong about something?

While it does prove something, it also could just be old pokemon fas growing up and buying 2/3 copies for themselves to catch 'em all, as oppose to 1 whe we were young and poor

It can probably never regain this. They should make the games and show less targeted towards children if they want to even try to regain popularity.

While it does prove something, it also could just be old pokemon fas growing up and buying 2/3 copies for themselves to catch 'em all, as oppose to 1 whe we were young and poor
Buying multiple copies of the same game wouldn't make up for the sheer loss of fans that the end of Gen II would suggest.

Most series never regain fad status after it loses them. This is the same for ANY series.

Look at what happened with Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers after their heydey. They're still around, but nowhere as popular as they once were.

Took the words out of my mouth. Pokémon just isn't going to become popular in the way it was back in the day, for the same reason that all other fads fail to regain the popularity of their peak. People find out about these things, they become captivated by them, they get bored, they move on to the next big thing. Pokémon is unique among fads of its kind for retaining a rabid fanbase and keeping people interested to the point where it's still a viable source of income for Nintendo, but that's about where it ends in terms of where it differentiates itself.

I think its still popular, the Pikachu balloon is still in the Macy parade, and I still see the games at stores and the DVDs and trading cards. Its still popular, even with Bakugan and Beyblade's return

Well, still, Bakugan and Beyblade are closer to Yu-Gi-Oh! (A series featuring a tabletop game that's a lot more serious business than it should be) than they are to Pokémon (A series where people battle powerful creatures.

I think the latest Macy's Parade proved Pokemon's still holding strong.

I agree. I only have one problem with it: They played the original anime theme instead of the theme of the games. Then again, they played the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers theme for the Power Rangers Samurai part of the parade (and the Power Rangers Samurai advertisements on Nickelodeon), so eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Wikipedia and some basic addition, based on the main series of games alone

G1 (RBY) = 32 million+ sold
G2 (GSC) = 20 million+
G3 (RSE and FRLGG) = 31 million+. Not to mention they were the three best-sellers on the GBA
G4 (DPPt and HGSS) = 35 million+
And BW were the fastest-selling DS games ever before they were even released.

Despite all the "old purists", Generation 2 actually sold the least. Meanwhile, G4 sold more than any generation. Just not the most of any individual pair (DP did sell more than GS though)

It's definitely popular (based on these numbers, maybe getting even more popular), and G5 will definitely push it further. It's just not a groundbreaking new series anymore.

Or am I wrong about something?

I find these statistics to be a little misleading as G3 and G4 consist of five games each, while G1 and G2 only have three games each. But it is still relevant as the pokemon games are still selling well even to this day.

Unless GameFreak does something radically new in the near future I doubt the pokemon games will ever regain their "fad" popularity. They're not the "new" thing anymore. They've reached "iconic" status now, (try finding someone in the US who DOESN'T know what a pikachu is.)

Fads die out but icons live forever. :-D

I don't really think it lost that status, if you ask me. If anything, it's as iconic as ever. Not to mention the loyal and ever-expanding fandom.

And, as B/W have shown, it's still very popular.

Unfortunately, the days where we didn't have to fear persecution for forcing cute animals to fight for our amusement are long over. Pokémon have excelled from being a "fad" and have become legends; to gain that iconic status, we had to give up our popularity, but it was a worthy exchange.

i think Gen 4 got the most because pokemon is gaining new fans faster then it is losing old fans.

It's still extremely popular:the only difference is that now you won't see kids taking their Game Boys to school to show their new Mewtwo.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom