• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can this Clefable be successful?

Raynor

Reaction score
Since I keep having bad luck with breeding the natures I want, I'm trying to use the next best thing.

Clefable
Modest w/Life Orb
252/Sp Atk - 130/HP - 126/Sp Def (still messing with amounts)

Moonblast
Calm Mind
Flamethrower
Psychic

I think Clefable would be best as an Unaware Pokemon to get through Stat boosts on Pokemon like Dragonite, Tyranitar or Sigilyph. Otherwise its not the best. Definitely many better Fairy types out there.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware/Magic Guard
Bold
248 HP/252 Def/8 Sp Def
~Softboiled
~Cosmic Power/Calm Mind
~Moonblast/Stored Power/Fire Blast
~Fire Blast/Heal Bell

If you're not using this, you're probably doing it wrong. I won't say you're for sure doing it wrong as some Wish/Heal Bell/Softboiled/Toxic sets work pretty well as clerics, but in general this is the only set Clefable should be running in OU. Unaware vs Magic Guard is the big choice here - Unaware lets you shut down set-up sweepers, but necessitates Heal Bell so you aren't crippled by Toxic or whatever, meaning that your offensive coverage will be limited. Magic Guard lets you push through status and lets you run 2 attacking moves, giving you STAB/Stored Power in addition to Fire Blast for Steels, but ofc other set up sweepers can boost alongside you and then muscle past your defenses.

Neither of you answered my question, just gave me other sets that I would like to use but as I said, I am having bad luck with breeding. lol

Neither of you answered my question, just gave me other sets that I would like to use but as I said, I am having bad luck with breeding. lol

No, it won't be successful. I just wanted to offer an alternative. Why not use an Everstone if you have bad luck with Natures?

No, it won't be successful. I just wanted to offer an alternative. Why not use an Everstone if you have bad luck with Natures?

I completely forgot about the everstone. I usually dont keep them, hahaha. thanks!!

Or you could make a request for one in the Trade Station. We have a lot of skilled breeders who could help you get the Clefable you want.

On topic:
Clefable
Modest w/Life Orb
252/Sp Atk - 130/HP - 126/Sp Def (still messing with amounts)

Moonblast
Calm Mind
Flamethrower
Psychic
I don't think you'll find much success with this set, no, not compared to other Clefable sets, at least. Clefable is slow and her defenses are good but not mindblowing - in the time it takes you to set up you're going to take a good deal of damage and without Softboiled you have no way of recovering from that so she won't be around for long - on the other hand if you don't set up Calm Mind I don't think you're going to be putting out enough damage to justify using her.

I don't think you'll find much success with this set, no, not compared to other Clefable sets, at least. Clefable is slow and her defenses are good but not mindblowing - in the time it takes you to set up you're going to take a good deal of damage and without Softboiled you have no way of recovering from that so she won't be around for long - on the other hand if you don't set up Calm Mind I don't think you're going to be putting out enough damage to justify using her.

any chance this could work for a doubles team?

This set specifically? It wouldn't be optimal.

If I were running Clefable in Doubles, I'd do one of two things:

1.) Run Charge Beam + Dazzling Gleam for great multi-target neutral coverage

2.) Use her as a Follow Me supporter with bulkier EVs to draw attacks off of her partner.

Either way I think you're going to want some form of recovery on Clefable, either Softboiled or maybe Moonlight.

No. I wouldn't recommend a Pokemon for doubles unless its fast and hits hard or can at least hit both Pokemon on you opponents side of the field. That's what Surf/Blizzard is one of the greatest combo's in Doubles. You also see EQ/Surf and sometimes even Muddy Water over Surf in doubles.

No. I wouldn't recommend a Pokemon for doubles unless its fast and hits hard or can at least hit both Pokemon on you opponents side of the field. That's what Surf/Blizzard is one of the greatest combo's in Doubles. You also see EQ/Surf and sometimes even Muddy Water over Surf in doubles.

not even trick room?

With 60 Base Speed I'm not sure she's actually slow enough for Trick Room. :XD: It might work in Doubles, though, since Doubles teams tend toward faster pokemon (you'll run into trouble against opposing Trick Room teams, however, as they'll be running even slower, more threatening pokemon).

She learns both Charge Beam and Dazzling Gleam from TMs, so you wouldn't even have to re-breed for that combo. If you're wanting to use her for Doubles, that's what I would suggest.

not even trick room?

You'd have to throw an Iron Ball on it. The Pokemon between 50 and 75 Base speed sit in an awkward position of being too fast for Trick Room, but too slow for sweeping without set up. I'd say the cut off for Trick Room would be 50-55 Base Speed.

not even trick room?

You'd have to throw an Iron Ball on it. The Pokemon between 50 and 75 Base speed sit in an awkward position of being too fast for Trick Room, but too slow for sweeping without set up. I'd say the cut off for Trick Room would be 50-55 Base Speed.

Ok I will mess with those specs a bit. Thanks all for the help. I will have more soon.

Hey, who says the cut-of point for TR is 55 Speed? I've used a Chandalure to great effect in Gen 5 VGC Doubles (and I assume it'll still work in Gen 6) and it's Speed is around 70-80 (I think). Anyway, back on topic: I think the above idea of Charge beam and Dazzling gleam has potential, though, as previously stated, you need a way to A) boost your Sp. Atk and B) heal yourself, both of which you have in the form of Moonlight and Calm mind. However, if you do use this Clefable in Doubles you will need a counter/partner that can handle Excadrill and the like.

The other problem that I just realized today is that most of my EV training for everything pre-gen 5 is done in Diamond................... so until they get to a newer game they are stuck with the limitations of gen 4.

The generally accepted TR cutoff is 70 Base Speed, just FYI

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom