• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation II: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation II: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology

In the third of seven articles, Pokémon Professor and Archaeologist Becca takes you on a journey into the world of core series games through the lens of media archaeology.

Read more on Bulbanews

Reaction score
Now this is more like it. It was worth a read to know more about the Mobile Adapter GB, specially about how the translations were uncomplete in the international versions. Also, the South Korean version retaining the original graphics is something interesting as well, even more so considering things like the Sage edit that happened in the remakes, whtere it was edited solely for South Korea, while ironically, the original Korean Gold and Silver were the only ones to retain the Japanese sprite.

The only thing I don't understand is those version trees. The third one is basically the same as the first one, but just with Pokémon Yellow on it. I don't get why that is, considering that in the article, Pokémon Yellow was only named once between the second and third trees, and its connection with Gold and Silver wasn't explained there. The trees actually confuse me more than anything, though that could be just me.

Reaction score
Yeah, I left out a paragraph, so added this:

It is possible to narrow the point of origin to a specific game rather than the entirety of Generation I. Many in-game glitches were neutralized during the creation of Pocket Monsters: Pikachu and a handful were further removed from the international localization to Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. The lack of such glitches would suggest that the basis of Generation II titles is one of the many version of this final Generation I titles. Still, it is most likely that the North American version is the basis as it, like Generation II, was programmed for the Game Boy Color.

The only thing I don't understand is those version trees. The third one is basically the same as the first one, but just with Pokémon Yellow on it. I don't get why that is, considering that in the article, Pokémon Yellow was only named once between the second and third trees, and its connection with Gold and Silver wasn't explained there. The trees actually confuse me more than anything, though that could be just me.