• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation II: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation II: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology

In the third of seven articles, Pokémon Professor and Archaeologist Becca takes you on a journey into the world of core series games through the lens of media archaeology.

Read more on Bulbanews

Now this is more like it. It was worth a read to know more about the Mobile Adapter GB, specially about how the translations were uncomplete in the international versions. Also, the South Korean version retaining the original graphics is something interesting as well, even more so considering things like the Sage edit that happened in the remakes, whtere it was edited solely for South Korea, while ironically, the original Korean Gold and Silver were the only ones to retain the Japanese sprite.

The only thing I don't understand is those version trees. The third one is basically the same as the first one, but just with Pokémon Yellow on it. I don't get why that is, considering that in the article, Pokémon Yellow was only named once between the second and third trees, and its connection with Gold and Silver wasn't explained there. The trees actually confuse me more than anything, though that could be just me.

Yeah, I left out a paragraph, so added this:

It is possible to narrow the point of origin to a specific game rather than the entirety of Generation I. Many in-game glitches were neutralized during the creation of Pocket Monsters: Pikachu and a handful were further removed from the international localization to Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. The lack of such glitches would suggest that the basis of Generation II titles is one of the many version of this final Generation I titles. Still, it is most likely that the North American version is the basis as it, like Generation II, was programmed for the Game Boy Color.

The only thing I don't understand is those version trees. The third one is basically the same as the first one, but just with Pokémon Yellow on it. I don't get why that is, considering that in the article, Pokémon Yellow was only named once between the second and third trees, and its connection with Gold and Silver wasn't explained there. The trees actually confuse me more than anything, though that could be just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom