• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can you name every Pokémon?

Despite the fact that I have not seen every Pokemon from each of the regions in the anime, I can name quite a decent amount of them, but some of the Gen 6 and 8 ones still stump me.

There are still a few instances where I didn't even know certain ones existed.

For the first 4 generations, easily. After that they kinda start blending together, especially some of the not fully evolved pokemon.

Yes, easily, no question. Frankly I could name all of the major human characters, too.

It's mostly the technical stuff that I don't have fanatically memorized. I couldn't tell you what every Pokémon's ability is, what kind of stat spread they have, or what every ability or move does. The more common stuff, sure, but like, I didn't know the move Gear Up existed until literally yesterday.

if shown pictures of every single pokémon, would you be able to name them? which ones, if any, would give you trouble?
Most likely yes.
bonus: would you be able to spell every mon's name (in your preferred language)?
Most likely no. There are some names, such as Mareanie or Blaziken (which I constantly write as Blazekin), that I typically have trouble spelling.

I could probably name everything shown in a picture except for some pokemon from Galar because I didn’t buy SWSH

As for spelling, that part’s a little tricky. It took me like eight years to notice that Groudon isn’t spelled “Groundon” or how to spell Exeggcute. Dunno if I could do better now.

Yes, easily, no question. Frankly I could name all of the major human characters, too.

It's mostly the technical stuff that I don't have fanatically memorized. I couldn't tell you what every Pokémon's ability is, what kind of stat spread they have, or what every ability or move does. The more common stuff, sure, but like, I didn't know the move Gear Up existed until literally yesterday.

Oh, that's interesting, because I reckon I'd be better at roughly gauging stat spreads than I would getting all the names for the basic and stage one species from Gens 6-onwards. I have quite a good visual memory, and the way certain sites (particularly Smogon) present and colour-code stat spreads makes them particularly 'sticky'. Shown any Pokémon, I'd say I can tell you what its best stat is.

if shown pictures of every single pokémon, would you be able to name them? which ones, if any, would give you trouble?
i probably could, but maybe with some hiccups
bonus: would you be able to spell every mon's name (in your preferred language)?
hell no, i have troubly spelling pukumuku (or is it pyukumuku), i always have trouble

this is.... perhaps embarrassing maybe, but yes. i have had some trouble in the past recalling pokemon by memory, but if i was shown photos, i don't think i'd have trouble except for maybe some of the gen 7 ones.

and yes, i think i'd be able to spell their names.

I can name them all in English. I have multiple lists on my notebooks so I doubt it would be possible to me to forget them even if I wanted. When a new one is revealed I learn it within a week if it was revealed via trailer or within a month if it's revealed in a game.

Spelling-wise the ones who give me the most trouble are the ones with double letters like Diglett and Exeguttor.

In Japanese I haven't counted how many I know, but it's probably somewhere between 400 and 500. I learn them through the anime, Dogasu's comparisons, forum posts and Bulbapedia. I know I remember all of Gen V because of this song, but only a dozen or so from Gen III. I learned too the whole of Gen IV when it came out but I don't know I could remember all of them today.

Easily!

There are some great Pokémon quizzes on Sporcle that give you only the types of the 'mons to go on. I think it's a good brain exercise. Maybe less "universal" than other lists of things, but still!!

over 800 Pokemon, I wouldn't be able to remember them all
same time having to memoirze other more important stuff (work phone numbers)

I could mention about half of the Pokemon or so... the ones I will struggle with are the ones I mainly dislike, many from the 8th gen
showing a photo of each, I might around 70% or so, probably not many from 8th gen

way too many to memorize

Yes, I know all Pokémon names, how to spell them, and I know all of their types. I could actually name most mons without pictures, I'm pretty sure I got 700+ when I did the "name all Pokémon" Sporcle quiz.

I can, Gen 1 to 7 at least. It tends to take a while before I have memorized all the names of the new gen, but I don't think I would struggle too hard with Gen 8. I also know a lot of Japanese Pokemon names due to having watched the Pokemon anime in Japanese for years and years.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom