• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Canonical Reasons For Poké Ball Pokémon?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
As of June 19th, 2014, there are five Pokémon with Poké Ball influenced origins. Voltorb, Electrode, Foongus, Amoonguss and now, Vivillon (the event-exclusive Poké Ball Pattern).

While Vivillon is exponentially harder to explain, here's what I've created in my head canon:

Foongus and Amoonguss came into being. Amoonguss' Dex entry makes note of the fact that its prey is drawn in by the Poké Ball patterns. Since the Poké Ball factory is from Kalos, and the Foongus family is found there, it can be assumed Kalosian scientists saw the hunting in action and decided to perfect the flawed technique, as very few Pokémon fall for the pattern's effect. Then afterwards, Poké Balls were shipped to all regions, including Kanto and Hoenn, where the Silph and Devon corporations set up shop and produced the majority of balls we know today.

The Voltorb family, found in the wild in Kanto, Hoenn and Kalos (Mountain), the Poké Ball centers of the world, probably evolved into being as a result of Haunter. Haunter is also found in Kanto, Hoenn and Kalos (Mountain). A common fan theory is that due to Haunter and Voltorb's similar eyes in their Ken Sugimori artowrk, Voltorb are actually Poké Balls possessed by Haunter and their constant exploding is because the Haunter inside is trying to escape, but can't.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how Poké Ball Vivillon could exist... Does anyone have any possible suggestions?

Vivillon get their patterns based on habitat, so maybe it's been bred and raised in the captivity a Pokemon Center.

I always thought Voltorb resulted from some type of mutation that happened to a Poké Ball in a ball production factory. This especially fits with the underlying theme of science in relation to a few Gen I Pokémon--like Grimer (a Pokémon that also resulted from a type of mutation), Porygon (a Pokémon created by scientists using cyber technology), and Mewtwo (a Pokémon created by scientists using cloning technology).

And I agree Poké Ball-patterned Vivillon most likely spent much of their time at a Pokémon Center, considering its distribution. But I supposed they could've spent much time at a ball production factory, and that the pattern's rarity results from so few Vivillon liking the environment of a ball factory.

Not really sure about Foongus, though, but it is important to note that Poké Balls didn't exist during Drayden's youth. (How old is this man--how old are Poké Balls?!?!)

I like to think that Voltorb and Electrode are artificial robotic pokémon who were created by scientists using a poké ball as a base/"skeleton" for their synthetic pokémon.

I'm going to chalk up Foongus and Vivallion's appearance to simple natural coincidence.

I always thought Voltorb resulted from some type of mutation that happened to a Poké Ball in a ball production factory. This especially fits with the underlying theme of science in relation to a few Gen I Pokémon--like Grimer (a Pokémon that also resulted from a type of mutation), Porygon (a Pokémon created by scientists using cyber technology), and Mewtwo (a Pokémon created by scientists using cloning technology).

And I agree Poké Ball-patterned Vivillon most likely spent much of their time at a Pokémon Center, considering its distribution. But I supposed they could've spent much time at a ball production factory, and that the pattern's rarity results from so few Vivillon liking the environment of a ball factory.

Not really sure about Foongus, though, but it is important to note that Poké Balls didn't exist during Drayden's youth. (How old is this man--how old are Poké Balls?!?!)

Yes, he emphasizes Poké Balls. But again, it's highly possible that Foongus/Amoonguss' pattern inspired the design. ^_^ And I never thought about that... A Vivillon bred in captivity near a Pokémon Center or the Poké Ball Factory. That could work.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom