• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Canonizing the Protagonists

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
Well before the game was released, Masters has established its intent to favor certain protagonists as canon. That is to say, at least for this title. With six protagonists that are currently playable, I figured now would be a good time to start digging through dialogue and other relevant information in order to figure out who this game considers canon. I’ll start with my own findings and, if anyone has anything additional to provide, please do so as this will be edited frequently.

Kanto: Red
Johto: Leaning toward Lyra.
- Lyra mentions that she fought Red (View: https://twitter.com/hanakumiii/status/1182291232636096512?s=21
).

Hoenn: Brendan
- Stated to be Norman’s son.

Sinnoh: Unknown
- Barry mentions his rival but does not specify who they were.

Unova: Leaning towards Hilbert and Rosa.
  • Dialogue from Chapter 18 indicates that he and Cheren know each other personally.
  • The fact that Rosa is the only BW2 character with a starter very likely means that Nate is going to show up with one of his Battle Subway Pokémon.
Kalos: Serena
  • Calem’s partner in this game is Espurr. Considering how most rival characters have been using their non-Starter mainstays (e.g., Hau’s Raichu), this practically confirms that Calem’s appearance in this game is as the rival.
  • Calem's dialogue entails callbacks to stuff he has said as the rival (e.g., his recruitment quote).
Alola: Unknown
- Same case as Sinnoh.

Edit: Updated for the new story additions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I'm surprised they canonized Lyra instead of Ethan or Kris.

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I'm surprised they canonized Lyra instead of Ethan or Kris.
I know, right? Reading that dialogue for the first time really threw me for a loop. That said, I’m gonna wait until Ethan comes out before stating it as such.

Last edited:
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that this canonizes anything because I don't think that Masters is canon to the main series.

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
I don't think that this canonizes anything because I don't think that Masters is canon to the main series.
You are correct. Whether or not this game is canon is purposefully being kept vague by the game's developers. As such, I am specifically referring to the canonization that occurs within the game (e.g., How Brendan is referred to as Norman's son), not how Masters shapes the core series' canon. In other words, this is specifically about what is established for the player characters in the context of Masters.