Canonizing the Protagonists

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
Well before the game was released, Masters has established its intent to favor certain protagonists as canon. That is to say, at least for this title. With six protagonists that are currently playable, I figured now would be a good time to start digging through dialogue and other relevant information in order to figure out who this game considers canon. I’ll start with my own findings and, if anyone has anything additional to provide, please do so as this will be edited frequently.

Kanto: Red
Johto: Ethan
- He is not related to the Daycare couple.
- Lyra is stated to own a Marill.
- Ethan describes the Johto player-rival interactions as occurring between himself and Silver.

Hoenn: Brendan
- Stated to be Norman’s son.

Sinnoh: Dawn
- Indicates that she is from Twinleaf Town
- Explicitly states that Barry is her childhood friend.
- Implies that she had gotten her starter during the Starly attack that happens in Diamond and Pearl.

Unova: Leaning towards Hilbert and Rosa.
  • Dialogue from Chapter 18 indicates that he and Cheren know each other personally.
  • The fact that Rosa is the only BW2 character with a starter very likely means that Nate is going to show up with one of his Battle Subway Pokémon.
Kalos: Serena
  • Calem’s partner in this game is Espurr. Considering how most rival characters have been using their non-Starter mainstays (e.g., Hau’s Raichu), this practically confirms that Calem’s appearance in this game is as the rival.
  • Calem makes a reference to an event from X and Y in which he is in the rival role.
  • Serena describes Calem as being how he acts when he is in the rival role.
  • Serena indicates that she met the Elite Four during her initial journey through Kalos, something that would not have been possible if she was the rival.

Alola: Unknown
- Hau indirectly mentions his rival but does not indicate their gender.

Edit 1: Updated for the new story additions.
Edit 2: Edited in light of the Ho-Oh Legendary Event
Edit 3: Updated in response to Dawn’s addition to the game.
Edit 4: Adding one other detail that I felt should have been noted.
Edit 5: Updated in light of Serena’s addition. Also removed the fact that Calem’s dialogue is reflective of what he said as the rival since that ended up being true for both him and Serena.

Last edited:
The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I'm surprised they canonized Lyra instead of Ethan or Kris.
I know, right? Reading that dialogue for the first time really threw me for a loop. That said, I’m gonna wait until Ethan comes out before stating it as such.

Last edited:
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that this canonizes anything because I don't think that Masters is canon to the main series.

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
I don't think that this canonizes anything because I don't think that Masters is canon to the main series.
You are correct. Whether or not this game is canon is purposefully being kept vague by the game's developers. As such, I am specifically referring to the canonization that occurs within the game (e.g., How Brendan is referred to as Norman's son), not how Masters shapes the core series' canon. In other words, this is specifically about what is established for the player characters in the context of Masters.

Part Time Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Anyone notice that Masters seems to suggest that the Gengar vs. Nidorino fight was between Agatha and Oak. If you do his Sync Story

Aka: LPCDDude, Cardcaptor Sean, TheLegoCat, etc.
Reaction score
What about canon Galar protagonist. It feels uneven that May is t́he canon child of Birch.

CAW! CAW! CAW!
Reaction score
What about canon Galar protagonist.
To my understanding, the Galar protagonists are not yet in the game--no one from Galar is--so it is too early to determine who is the canonized SwSh protagonist in Masters.

Reaction score
To my understanding, the Galar protagonists are not yet in the game--no one from Galar is--so it is too early to determine who is the canonized SwSh protagonist in Masters.
Exactly, no one is there yet, which is pretty weird. I don't know if they want to bring them after all the others are in, or if they are saving them up for something.

Aka: LPCDDude, Cardcaptor Sean, TheLegoCat, etc.
Reaction score
Exactly, no one is there yet, which is pretty weird. I don't know if they want to bring them after all the others are in, or if they are saving them up for something.
Well, they could still add them while the prior generations don’t have every character. Who would you assume? Same goes with Elio, Selene, Chase, and Elaine. I know you think Chase and Elaine may not be canon but Leaf must be canon to LeafGreen (was introduced in that and is Sygna Synced with Venusaur, the mascot for LeafGreen) while Red is canon to Red and FireRed (not including Yellow because he’s synced with Charizard, for both games). How to determine Chase and Elaine is unsure (because starters are taken). Though if Trace WAS to appear, he’d be synced with which evolved partner Pokémon he has (Raichu or Jolteon). Misty (because of her attire) will mention which protagonist battled her. Just because of Chase and Elaine’s concept art have partner Pokémon with them doesn’t necessarily mean they’re canon to that specific game. As we know, Red is the only official core series protagonist. Kris only appeared in Crystal so she’s Crystal canon. Ethan is either HeartGold or SoulSilver because he’s in his current attire. Lyra is canon to the other game. We can get that whose which by mentioning they battled Lugia (Ho-Oh was taken
by Silver). Brendan is canon to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire but he should mention which evil team he faced and/or Legendary Primal (because of ORAS attire) he had faced in Sootopolis City. While if May were to be canon, she’d do the opposite. However, it’s not likely because Brendan mentioned she’s a neighbor with Birch (because of him being canon):
Brendan from A Day With Brendan said:
Yeah, Professor Birch and May. They’re my next door neighbors.
Dawn is unsure but is canon to either Diamond and Pearl (because of her original attire). If she (in sygna suit) or Lucas are synced with Dialga (because Cyrus is synced with Pikagla), then that proves which one’s canon to Diamond. Dawn must be canon to a universe where Barry had a Chimchar (because she’s synced with Turtwig while Barry is synced with Piplup). Or Barry must be from a canon universe where the protagonist picked Chimchar. But it’s probably only because Flint was synced with Infernape. Lucas will be the canon assistant to Rowan (if he appears in his original attire) or the opposite game of Dawn’s incarnated canon game. Once again, it may not be possible like with May not being Master’s Birch child. So Hilbert is canon but only to either Black or White. We can find that out by which Opelucid City Gym Leader he battled and/or which Legendary Pokémon he caught at N’s Castle. Hilda would do the opposite. Nate is datamind to get a Vicinti. But if either one mentions which Kyurem (Black Kyurem or White Kyurem because their Black 2 and White 2 mascots) at Giant Chasm, then that’s which game they’re canon to. Also, Hugh and/or Bianca (if she appears) will give more info probably. Now an easy way of whose the official canon to X and Y is if Shauna will be synced with a starter. If Shauna has Froakie, Serena is not canon. If Shauna is synced with Chespin, Serena is canon. We could also do that by (sygna suit) syncing them with Xerenas or Yvetal. Can’t say that with Elio and Selene (because Hau is synced with Raichu). Though we can find out by their attires which game they are from. I assume they’re from Sun and Moon. Now, whoever mentions about going on vacation with their mother is canon to Masters. Now finally, we can assume which one Hop mentions he was friends with. We can also figure out by Victor and Gloria themselves by which Gym Leaders were in Stow-on-Side and Circhester when they came to battle, if they met Klara and/or Avery when visiting the Isle of Armor, or by battling Swordword or Shieldbert.

Last edited: