• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Canonizing the Protagonists

Personally I hate the idea of one gender being more canon than the other one. I think the canon protagonist should be the same as your selected gender.

I wish Hilda/Touko was canon instead since I have never played as the male protagonist and therefore don't feel connected to him. I would have liked to see N be reunited with Hilda/Touko since we didn't get that in BW2 which was disappointing (especially since they favored Red over the female protagonist in that game once again).

It's interesting how Kris and Lyra both exist though. Do they have they have any interactions with each other? Kind of makes me sad that we didn't get to fight her on Mt. Silver in HGSS instead of Red...

How the starters of May and Barry are disadvantaged against May and Dawn hints us that all characters are from different incarnations of the video games. Mostly anyone (who has appeared in multiple attires) is not in their original attire. Dawn, Barry, and Iris are the only exceptions. Most of the Kanto characters are in their FRLG and/or HGSS attires with the exception Misty and Giovanni. She is one of those recognizable characters but her HGSS attire had her hair too short and they prefer the more recognizable Gym Leaders to be separated from the FRLG incarnations. Giovanni was synced with Mewtwo which is from his USUM team which explains why he is in his USUM attire. Plus Kris and Battle Frontier characters appear in Masters could explain why Brendan and Dawn are canon protagonists with stronger starters than their rivals. Also, it would be breaking rules about the same species of Pokémon in the same form being synced with a trainer. But then about Riley and Mira. They only use Lucario and Kadabra. I mean, they could’ve done having Dawn with a Chimchar and May with a Blazekin to prove that Lucario can be synced with Riley. Kadabra only evolves into Alakazam when it’s traded and I don’t know if in the evolution stories that they can evolve Pokémon that can be traded. So Mirah could work. But back to the canon protagonists. We know Gloria is canon because she is claimed to be from Postwick. Psytrainer is right on Hilbert being canon because he remembers N more than Hilda. I hope Psytrainer will update everything. Lately during the New Year’s special log-in bonus, it features protagonists and their rivals. They only showed Dawn with Barry giving us more proof she’s canon. If either Elio or Selene appear with Hau. I think that proves if they’re canon.

Now that we've had the N event which pretty much confirms Hilbert is canon to BW1, and the game has broken the trend of always giving the protagonists one of their regions' starters, does anyone else see the developers making a Selene & Lunala sync pair and basically confirming that Lunala is Nebby?

Since Solgaleo as we all know is already obtainable as a Main Character Pokemon, this would open up the door for some kind of reunion event involving Lillie, Selene & Nebby (and that would actually be super cute!). As for Elio, he could still be kind of implied to be canon to the (Ultra) Sun timeline (you don't actually have to capture Nebby as part of the main story in USUM).

Either way I could see the writers leaning on that whole multiverse crutch again.

Kalos: Serena
  • Calem’s partner in this game is Espurr. Considering how most rival characters have been using their non-Starter mainstays (e.g., Hau’s Raichu), this practically confirms that Calem’s appearance in this game is as the rival.
  • Calem makes a reference to an event from X and Y in which he is in the rival role.
  • Serena describes Calem as being how he acts when he is in the rival role.
  • Serena indicates that she met the Elite Four during her initial journey through Kalos, something that would not have been possible if she was the rival.

Edit 1: Updated for the new story additions.
Edit 2: Edited in light of the Ho-Oh Legendary Event
Edit 3: Updated in response to Dawn’s addition to the game.
Edit 4: Adding one other detail that I felt should have been noted.
Edit 5: Updated in light of Serena’s addition. Also removed the fact that Calem’s dialogue is reflective of what he said as the rival since that ended up being true for both him and Serena.
Edit 6: Major Update.

Another point for Serena is in the latest legendary event, when they showed that Serena was the one who saw the past message from Professor Sycamore in Couriway Town

Another point for Serena is in the latest legendary event, when they showed that Serena was the one who saw the past message from Professor Sycamore in Couriway Town
Yeah, I contemplated adding that, but I reluctantly opted not to because of the game's tendency to split player-experienced events as having happened to both protagonists. That being said, because DeNa has been recently more consistent with who they're framing as the protagonists, I think I will do so anyway.

Galar: Gloria
- Her encounter with Zacian was under the exact same circumstances that the player meets Zacian/Zamazenta in-game.
- She describes the three Galar rivals as being her own.

And not only that but she says her bag is her mother’s. This is a nod to how the player picks up their parents’ (depending on the gender) bag. And also:
Gloria mentions she’s from Postwick upon being recruited for the first

"The Ideal Formula" Story Event establishes that Hilbert has been looking for N since Black and White. In contrast, Hilda knows nothing about who N is.

But as Parissong said:
I believe the way Masters reconciled it is Hilbert was the one battling Team Plasma whereas Hilda was the one challenging the league (hence why Hilda's a big battler)

The player has to be the same to defeat Plasma and become champion but this references something. Because N was synced with Zekrom and Hilbert has been looking for him while Hilda claims she wants to battle Iris again, this hints that they are canon to one of each game. Hilbert is Black and Hilda, White.

And not only that but she says her bag is her mother’s. This is a nod to how the player picks up their parents’ (depending on the gender) bag. And also:
Gloria mentions she’s from Postwick upon being recruited for the first

But as Parissong said:

The player has to be the same to defeat Plasma and become champion but this references something. Because N was synced with Zekrom and Hilbert has been looking for him while Hilda claims she wants to battle Iris again, this hints that they are canon to one of each game. Hilbert is Black and Hilda, White.

If they were each canon to one version, then Hilda wouldn't be clueless about who N was like she is portrayed to be during the event.

If they were each canon to one version, then Hilda wouldn't be clueless about who N was like she is portrayed to be during the event.

But Hilda has battled Iris and N is synced with Zekrom instead of Reshiram. That wouldn’t make sense to one version. But then we should take Parissong’s word. Also, Barry and May’s Pokémon don’t match up either. However Barry mentioned that Piplup never listened to him when starting as a trainer. He never mentioned the Starly incident at Lake Verity so this hints he received Piplup in a trade and had gotten Gym badges so Piplup could obey. Unknown about Brendan or May mentioning how they received their starters. But one of them had to have received them in a trade. But that doesn’t matter since they have stated fathers. So if Grace or Johanna (or any player’s mother appears), if they are stated to be their children, then they are canon.

But Hilda has battled Iris and N is synced with Zekrom instead of Reshiram. That wouldn’t make sense to one version. But then we should take Parissong’s word. Also, Barry and May’s Pokémon don’t match up either. However Barry mentioned that Piplup never listened to him when starting as a trainer. He never mentioned the Starly incident at Lake Verity so this hints he received Piplup in a trade and had gotten Gym badges so Piplup could obey. Unknown about Brendan or May mentioning how they received their starters. But one of them had to have received them in a trade. But that doesn’t matter since they have stated fathers. So if Grace or Johanna (or any player’s mother appears), if they are stated to be their children, then they are canon.

I mean, I don't know if the game explicitly states that May and Brendan are novice trainers, but if each protagonist is already the "champion" or a great trainer of their region, it's hard to believe that a Mudkip, Treecko, Fennekin, Cyndaquil, ..., are their starters Pokémon. With respect to Hoenn protagonists, for instance, I think that is possible that they have exchanged, among themselves, an egg from their initial Pokémon .

I mean, I don't know if the game explicitly states that May and Brendan are novice trainers, but if each protagonist is already the "champion" or a great trainer of their region, it's hard to believe that a Mudkip, Treecko, Fennekin, Cyndaquil, ..., are their starters Pokémon. With respect to Hoenn protagonists, for instance, I think that is possible that they have exchanged, among themselves, an egg from their initial Pokémon .
You know, I think that last part is possible, considering Misty's Starmie is explicitly the original one's offspring.

You know, I think that last part is possible, considering Misty's Starmie is explicitly the original one's offspring.
But you can’t even breed eggs in LGPE.

Similar to what Parissong said about Hilbert taking on Team Plasma and Hilda becoming champion, I think each Johto player were playing different parts. Ethan was the one battling Team Rocket and rivaled with Silver, Kris was the one encountering the Legendary Beasts, and Lyra was the one taking on the Gyms, Elite Four, Lance, and Red.

There are now more clues on why Psytrainer shows that Rosa is B2W2 canon and Gloria is Galar canon.
Rosa states how Hugh went back to receive his sister’s Pokémon in the recent story event. Gloria mentions of her Gym challenges and meeting an Eevee at a Pokémon Camp (presumably Lisa’s on Route 8).

offspring
But you can’t even breed eggs in LGPE.

?????

Pokémon Master Misty explicitly says that her actual Starmie is a offspring of her "initial" Starmie, so what? This is not merely a statement of Prog Rocker.

For instance, Lyra and Kris are characters that never coexisted, yet you (or the game) pretends divide the achievements of the protagonists of the second generation of Pokémon games between both ? So what?

But I’m curious of why they chose Misty’s Gen VII attire if she got a Starmie from an Egg. Did they hate the short hair from Gen IV and V?

But this is about protagonists so would anyone like to take my word about the Johto protags playing different roles and Parrisong’s word about BW1 doing the same?

But I’m curious of why they chose Misty’s Gen VII attire if she got a Starmie from an Egg. Did they hate the short hair from Gen IV and V?

But this is about protagonists so would anyone like to take my word about the Johto protags playing different roles and Parrisong’s word about BW1 doing the same?

The reason is probably trivial. My opinion is that they intend to use the current or most recent look given to the characters. It is even possible that this intention came from the Pokémon Company and they only accepted it.

As I said, the difference is that the female protagonists of johto never coexisted in the universe of games. Just as Red and Leaf had never coexisted in the games until LGPE.

The reason is probably trivial. My opinion is that they intend to use the current or most recent look given to the characters. It is even possible that this intention came from the Pokémon Company and they only accepted it.

As I said, the difference is that the female protagonists of johto never coexisted in the universe of games. Just as Red and Leaf had never coexisted in the games until LGPE.

First, most of the Kanto characters have their second attires on. And second, Leaf is not Green. If she was the same girl in Let’s Go! after Mewtwo encountered, they should’ve chose her to be called Green. Also, a Pokémon you obtain always obeys you and Barry said that his Piplup started to not obey him. This and Dawn getting her Turtwig from battling Starly and Barry synced with the weaker starter and not mentioning about his Piplup being involved in that Starly incident means it’s total sense. Unsure about the Hoenn protagonists starters. Doesn’t even mention where the canon rival in the core games got there starters. May should have a mention of owning a Torchic or how she got her Mudkip. Or Brendan should have a mention of what starter he chose to battle the Poochyena chasing Prof. Birch on Route 101.

UPDATE:
74AE7172-393F-4A64-8D1F-025B5DE676DD.jpeg
Credits: Absol-utley PM

Anyway, more proof to @Parissong’s theory that DeNA sees some protags are playing different canon roles to their respective games. We got May cleared but Barry does hint of Piplup not obeying him and not mentioning how he got his starter.

Last edited:
In the latest Trials on the Isle Event, there is a small story detail which implies the canon protagonist for Alola:

While both Elio and Selene have stated that they took part in the Island Challenge, in the side story "Fetch the Meowth!" Elio states that he gets along with Meowth since there is one at his house. In the SM games, the protagonist's mother keeps a Meowth as a pet. As such, this would point to Elio being the canon protagonist.

In the latest Trials on the Isle Event, there is a small story detail which implies the canon protagonist for Alola:

While both Elio and Selene have stated that they took part in the Island Challenge, in the side story "Fetch the Meowth!" Elio states that he gets along with Meowth since there is one at his house. In the SM games, the protagonist's mother keeps a Meowth as a pet. As such, this would point to Elio being the canon protagonist.

Also the description of Elio's skills earning him recognition from Professor Kukui, and his Alola Pokemon League mindscape.

In addition, it turns out Selene's personality in Masters also kind of contradicts my headcanon (I had always imagined her to be more like her manga counterpart Moon), but oh well, at least they gave her the Rowlet line.

Also the description of Elio's skills earning him recognition from Professor Kukui, and his Alola Pokemon League mindscape.

In addition, it turns out Selene's personality in Masters also kind of contradicts my headcanon (I had always imagined her to be more like her manga counterpart Moon), but oh well, at least they gave her the Rowlet line.

I guess you're referring to the flavor text for Elio? That's also another point for Elio being the canon protagonist of Alola. In addition, there's also another side story that favors Elio as well:

In the side story "Appreciating Alola" Elio states that he has had many new experiences since arriving in Alola, which would imply that he wasn't an original resident of Alola. This corresponds with the SM games, where the protagonist just recently moved to the Alola region. As such, this would point to Elio being the canon protagonist.

In the side story "Appreciating Alola" Elio states that he has had many new experiences since arriving in Alola, which would imply that he wasn't an original resident of Alola. This corresponds with the SM games, where the protagonist just recently moved to the Alola region. As such, this would point to Elio being the canon protagonist.

In her Sync Pair story, Selene also confirms that she moved to Alola from Kanto.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom