• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Canonizing the Protagonists

Should the Johto arc and Black and White be ambiguous too? There are many reasons how

1. Lyra states of battling Red.
2. Kris states of encountering Suicane.
3. Hilda mentions starting a journey with Iris being a Gym Leader and want to battle her again.
4. She also mentions Team Plasma.

So probably there are ambiguous protags in maybe all arcs that aren't Kanto's. But if Red is the only canon, why add Leaf? It was probably the choice of what attire was best for them. They may have liked Misty's attire for LGPE but they are unsure of adding LGPE players because of some plot holes. They include:
1. The events of RBY taking after the games but the Johto arc states Red was the one who Team Rocket.
2. Cycling Road becoming Buddy Road but stays Cycling Road like 1-2 yrs. later.
3. Mina is 13-15 yrs. old but 20 yrs. later, is 33-35 old as a Trial Captain even though Mallow mentions Capts. retire when they become 20 unless if what she means is that they do other stuff aside from being Trial Capts. when they are 20. Or maybe Mina lied about her age and is actually a criminal or Mallow has the Mandela effect where she thinks Trial Capts. retire when they're 20 when in reality, she was informed that Capts. start planning some grown-up activity and retire at 65.

But now let's move onto May and Barry. As stated by Absol-utley PM, DeNA relied on the ORAS E3 trailer meaning she has a Torchic too. I theorizes that May somehow recieved the Mudkip left but didn't use it in battle. Barry, on the other hand, states that his Piplup didn't listen to him and didn't mention what starter he got from battling the Starly. This proofs likely that he got his starter traded whereas Dawn got her Turtwig from using her to battle the Starly.

Last edited:
Should the Johto arc and Black and White be ambiguous too? There are many reasons how

1. Lyra states of battling Red.
2. Kris states of encountering Suicane.
3. Hilda mentions starting a journey with Iris being a Gym Leader and want to battle her again.
4. She also mentions Team Plasma.

So probably there are ambiguous protags in maybe all arcs that aren't Kanto's. But if Red is the only canon, why add Leaf? It was probably the choice of what attire was best for them. They may have liked Misty's attire for LGPE but they are unsure of adding LGPE players because of some plot holes. They include:
1. The events of RBY taking after the games but the Johto arc states Red was the one who Team Rocket.
2. Cycling Road becoming Buddy Road but stays Cycling Road like 1-2 yrs. later.
3. Mina is 13-15 yrs. old but 20 yrs. later, is 33-35 old as a Trial Captain even though Mallow mentions Capts. retire when they become 20 unless if what she means is that they do other stuff aside from being Trial Capts. when they are 20. Or maybe Mina lied about her age and is actually a criminal or Mallow has the Mandela effect where she thinks Trial Capts. retire when they're 20 when in reality, she was informed that Capts. start planning some grown-up activity and retire at 65.

But now let's move onto May and Barry. As stated by Absol-utley PM, DeNA relied on the ORAS E3 trailer meaning she has a Torchic too. I theorizes that May somehow recieved the Mudkip left but didn't use it in battle. Barry, on the other hand, states that his Piplup didn't listen to him and didn't mention what starter he got from battling the Starly. This proofs likely that he got his starter traded whereas Dawn got her Turtwig from using her to battle the Starly.

When I put ambiguous, that means both PCs have indicated that they have relationships or have been a part of events that are exclusively associated with the protagonist role of their respective games. This is what I primarily consider because multiple PC pairs, especially when Masters was in its infancy, each mentioned attributes that could be associated with the protagonist but, since they are either nonspecific or not unique to the protagonist role of their games, I tend to disregard those.

That's why I don't consider Unova or Johto to be ambiguous. While Hilda has fought Iris, Hilda demonstrates that she had little involvement in BW's plot to the point of knowing nothing about who N is. Meanwhile, Hilbert was involved in the character development of both Cheren and N as well as bringing down Team Plasma and looking for the latter afterward. And though I will admit that Lyra's admission of fighting Red had me believing she was Johto's protagonist for a while, the fact that she specifies nothing else about the battle indicates that it was not the big fight on Mt. Silver. Furthermore, she is the grandaughter of the daycare couple, while Ethan simply refers to them as "friends", and the latter was the one with the plot-centric rivalry with Silver, being held partially responsible for Silver's character development as a result.

Spoilers for an Unreleased Sync Pair

So if Gloria is the Protagonist and her Starter in Masters is Inteleon then would that mean Hop choose Cinderace in this Universe? :unsure:

I'm only wondering because he gets the Starter with the Type Disadvantage to the Protagonist.

Tho on the other hand they gave May Mudkip despite Brendan being the Protagonist with Treecko. And I heard Dawn is the Protagonist despite having Turtwig and Barry having Piplup?

So maybe they'll reverse this and give Hop Rillaboom instead?

I question some of the Starter choices in this game...

Spoilers for an Unreleased Sync Pair

So if Gloria is the Protagonist and her Starter in Masters is Inteleon then would that mean Hop choose Cinderace in this Universe? :unsure:

I'm only wondering because he gets the Starter with the Type Disadvantage to the Protagonist.

Tho on the other hand they gave May Mudkip despite Brendan being the Protagonist with Treecko. And I heard Dawn is the Protagonist despite having Turtwig and Barry having Piplup?

So maybe they'll reverse this and give Hop Rillaboom instead?

I question some of the Starter choices in this game...

DeNA took ORAS E3 trailer the inspiration for May’s Sync Pokémon. This means she has 2 starters instead of one. And maybe the canon Hoenn rival has 2 starters but they choose the stronger one. I mean Sygna Blue is synced with the stronger starter compared to Red’s.

Barry didn’t say how he got Piplup but he said Piplup didn’t listen to him when he started as a trainer. This is implied that he got his starter in a trade (possibly from Lucas).

More updates come in the All Aboard the Victory Train.

Dawn metions that “Hilda” told her who Ingo and Emmet are and she appears with Nate hinting both are canon as NPCs.

Anyway, if Hilda was a BP Sync Pair, this implies that could get one of her Battle Subway Pokémon probably while Hilbert might get not one of his.

While Hilda has fought Iris, Hilda demonstrates that she had little involvement in BW's plot to the point of knowing nothing about who N is. Meanwhile, Hilbert was involved in the character development of both Cheren and N as well as bringing down Team Plasma and looking for the latter afterward.

But it's never stated if the canon Battle Subway partner has battled Gyms.

As I stated of Mallow having the Mandela Effect of thinking Trial Captains retire when they’re 20 years old, maybe Hilda had the Mandela Effect too. Because she was a tough trainer, maybe she had less of knowing every member of Team Plasma and Hilbert was the one stopping them. The breaker of who is BW canon is if Rosa mentions her mother is friends with Hilbert’s mother.

Why can’t you take @Parissong’s word?:
I believe the way Masters reconciled it is Hilbert was the one battling Team Plasma whereas Hilda was the one challenging the league (hence why Hilda's a big battler)

Then again as Hilda doesn’t know who N is, she does also say this.:

Hilda said:
I-I just like to focus on battling—that's all!

Hilda gives no context that her match with Iris was the final Gym Challenge the player does in White. Iris does appear to come to stop Team Plasma despite not being a Gym Leader in Black. Hilbert is more of the player associated because he didn’t focus on battling and not just started his journey with Cheren and Bianca but also states about his encounters with Team Plasma and N and also tries to find the latter and all the Seven Sages like the player does in post game. Even BW player’s mom (when mistaking B2W2’s player as her own child) states her child was even looking for N.

And though I will admit that Lyra's admission of fighting Red had me believing she was Johto's protagonist for a while, the fact that she specifies nothing else about the battle indicates that it was not the big fight on Mt. Silver. Furthermore, she is the grandaughter of the daycare couple, while Ethan simply refers to them as "friends", and the latter was the one with the plot-centric rivalry with Silver, being held partially responsible for Silver's character development as a result.

What about Kris's quote?:
Kris said:
"A while back, I found a Legendary Pokémon called Suicune and chased it."

Are you going to disregard that too? Johto is still ambiguous. The only 2 people to encounter the Legendary Trio is the player and Eusine. Even though Kris is replaced with Lyra in HGSS, it doesn’t mean she started the same adventure as Ethan. No one’s saying that enhanced and remakes are different dimensions. Well, ORAS is in a dimension where Mega exists. It doesn’t say which timeline SwSh is in. They have an Escape Rope be a Key Item. I do happen to check who Mina’s parents and one of them is a Gentleman (they seem to be in their 60s, around average for them to be if their child is in their 30s) but the mother is unsure. I mean, Mustard had child even though he was in his late 50s, but Honey must’ve been way young. Mina’s mother is a black NPC in Alola. Unsure how old she is but she looks 60ish.

Now Victor, will he mention other events from Sword and Shield like him defeating Rose?

I'm just glad that they didn't pull a Generations and make only the male protagonists canon... or at least strongly implied to be canon.

Well @Severus Snope. They seem to mix their protags in the upcoming Pokémon Evolutions series. They show Victor as Galar while Selene in Alola. They will also have May for Hoenn. But update that now, they sorta switch who was canon protagonists from Masters to the canon in Evolutions. Calem and Hilda are canon to Evolutions. Even though Alola in Masters in Ambiguous, does Evolutions hint Elio was the one who went to Vast Poni Canyon? We don't know if it was Rosa or Nate who was canon of how Evolutions imagines it. When The Rival airs, will it be Dawn or Lucas? We still don't know The Show has Ethan to be canon. UPDATE: Nevermind, he is. But at least PE isn’t following who’s canon in Generations and they are choosing multiple genders.

Apparently, Lucas does have an Infernape. Check the preview with no VA audio by Absol-utley if you like. But I assume they are heading towards BDSP now because you can get all starters in the Grand Underground. Unknown if he mentions Chimchar being his first Pokémon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom