• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Capsule Monsters

VeggiePopper

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
Bulbapedia has an article on it, the early version of Pocket Monsters. But the article says too little to be considered truely informative. Still, the small text left me with two questions in my mind:

1. It says the project started as a manga? If that's the case, I suppose it was published in the Game Freak fanzine. But how long did it last? Anybody (Ken Sugimori perhaps) keep an issue?

2. The article also says that Nidorino and Gengar debuted there. But it is logic to asume more Pokémon were there, any body knows of any?

I'd love to know more about the original Capsule Monsters ("Capsumon"? XD)... anyway, I know it's almost for sure you won't know the answers to these questions, so instead why don't you give your opinions and your own questions on this topic? Cheers!

Well, this would explain the significance of Gengar and Nidorino in the pilot of Pokemon as well as in the game intro sequences.

I thought exactly the same!! I'd just love to know a bit mora about it, but it seems to be so obscure...

I saw a copy of it at the Game On! exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago a few years ago, but sadly my film from it has yet to be developed (yes it was old school).

Whoah! Now I know it did exist!! What was it like? I mean, the cover or whatever the exhibition showed.

This is so cool...
the original pokemon!

I wonder if that is why they use the word "capsule" for so many things...
Time capsule, ball capsule, (poke balls look like capsules)
Probably just a coincidence, but I would like to think there is a connection

Time Capsules are real things and it sounds cool. I don't think Capsule Monsters had anything to do with the time capsule idea.

It seems a bit obvious that the "Capsule" word refers directly to what we now know as Poké Balls: "Capsule Monsters" are monsters that can be carried over inside capsules (whether they were spheric since the begining or not, that's where the mystery lies) that fit in your pocket, then it came the name "Pocket Monsters", isn't it logic?

It seems a bit obvious that the "Capsule" word refers directly to what we now know as Poké Balls: "Capsule Monsters" are monsters that can be carried over inside capsules (whether they were spheric since the begining or not, that's where the mystery lies) that fit in your pocket, then it came the name "Pocket Monsters", isn't it logic?

I'm pretty sure they were always spherical. If I remember correctly, the cover of the manga Blackjack was referring to incorporated the "capsules" into the title. They were basically Poké Balls. I'm sure you can find pictures somewhere. . .

It is always intriguing to look back on a multi-billion dollar franchise's meager beginnings. It is amazing that something like Capsule Monsters morphed into the cash cow that took over the planet in the late 90s.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom