• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cartoon Network now broadcasting in HD

Casual_Furi

That I Am
Reaction score
You read right, folks! I was just perusing the channels and I found the HD logo on CN and a noticibly clearer kids next door. That of course means Pokemon DP and DPBD are going to be in high dfinition as well. Good news? Bad news? Does this even matter to you guys? I know I'm glad about it!

The show isn't formatted for HD though.

You're just watching the show on an HD channel.

That of course means Pokemon DP and DPBD are going to be in high dfinition as well.

Pokemon will not air in HD though. The CN logo might have HD resolution, but the actual episode video will just be upscaled video. The same thing happens on TV Tokyo in Japan, the logo and episode warning text are in HD but the video is just upscaled.

CN has had a HD feed on DirecTV for about 6 or 7 months (October of last year, I believe). However, as of yet I don't believe they have any HD content (though I do believe some of their Adult Swim content is going HD). Really a shame, since animation could really benefit from the increased resolution (especially since most of their shows can be inverse telecined back to 1080p).

It wouldn't surprise me too much if movies 1/2 were in line for a HD transfer, but I have no idea when that would actually happen.

I'm actually working on starting a Petition to get Pokemon in HD on some level, pm me if you're interested in helping.

Yoshi1001 said:
I'm actually working on starting a Petition to get Pokemon in HD on some level, pm me if you're interested in helping.

I'd expect a kids' show like Pokemon to be one of the last shows to make the conversion. Your average eight-year-old fan (no matter what side of the Pacific you're talking about) just doesn't care enough one way or the other.

Shoot...I'm 25 and *I* don't really care one way or the other.

I'd expect a kids' show like Pokemon to be one of the last shows to make the conversion. Your average eight-year-old fan (no matter what side of the Pacific you're talking about) just doesn't care enough one way or the other.

Shoot...I'm 25 and *I* don't really care one way or the other.

I think the sheer existance of this thread proves that some people do care.

What the timeline is for all this to happen largely depends on whether some significant event happens that pushes things along.

CN has had a HD feed on DirecTV for about 6 or 7 months (October of last year, I believe). However, as of yet I don't believe they have any HD content (though I do believe some of their Adult Swim content is going HD). Really a shame, since animation could really benefit from the increased resolution (especially since most of their shows can be inverse telecined back to 1080p).
At least Blue Dragon airs in HD in Japan. But I am not sure if CN has something to do with the fact dub were converted to SD. I'm affraid Viz is the one to blame. The same probabely happens to Dinosaur King and most likely will happen to Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.
It wouldn't surprise me too much if movies 1/2 were in line for a HD transfer, but I have no idea when that would actually happen.
Well, if movie is intended for movie theatres, it technically should be in HD. But problem can be if the rights owner (PUSA in the case of Pokémon Movies) want to present their movies in HD and/or is able to. I can imagine PUSA canverts movies to SD since they are direct-to-video in USA and don't care about future use in HD format :-/

And if Kamen Rider Dragon Knight will really air on CN... dunno, because AFAIK Ryuki wasn't HD either. Still, american footage of it can be HD.

[AS] is going HD now? I'd rather watch their shows in SD the next day than stay up till 2:0AM to watch it in HD. No, I do not have an HD DVR. I think CN just started HD on Dish Network.

At least Blue Dragon airs in HD in Japan. But I am not sure if CN has something to do with the fact dub were converted to SD. I'm affraid Viz is the one to blame. The same probabely happens to Dinosaur King and most likely will happen to Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.

Well, if movie is intended for movie theatres, it technically should be in HD. But problem can be if the rights owner (PUSA in the case of Pokémon Movies) want to present their movies in HD and/or is able to. I can imagine PUSA canverts movies to SD since they are direct-to-video in USA and don't care about future use in HD format :-/

Actually, it matters more who owns the distribution rights to the movie (Warner Bros. for 1-3 and Miramax/Disney for 4-7). Once an agreement is reached, they have to go in and make a new HD transfer from the original film (they can keep the original Dolby Digital audio). From there, they can convert it to whatever the eventual distribution format is.

You do realize that "HD" and "widescreen" are two different things, right?

The 8th and 9th movies are going to be airing HD or not over the holiday weekend. I know I posted this in another thread, but maybe not everyone got around to reading it.

I wouldn't expect HD versions of the more recent movies anytime soon. My guess is that they would stick with the "safer" first few that probably have more readily-available master copies.

Really doesn't matter to me, especially since my parents are too cheap to get HD or high speed Internet. I mean we bought a nice HD television a few years ago, yet they haven't decided to upgrade the cable.

Really doesn't matter to me, especially since my parents are too cheap to get HD or high speed Internet. I mean we bought a nice HD television a few years ago, yet they haven't decided to upgrade the cable.

I'll give my standard response to this-get new parents. :lol:

A lot of this is very chicken-and-egg. People will start to adopt HD more as more contnent is available-and vice versa.

The upscaled-to-HD image actually has the benefit that when scaling it down again to 768x576 or 640x480, you can get rid of some compression artifacts that you may have in the original HD resolution picture.

About TV Tokyo: It may seem upscaled, but it at least seems to be upscaled to HD while the production of the episode, instead of being upscaled by the TV network after they got an SDTV version of the episode. This makes Pokémon DP still look rather good, even though being seemingly upscaled to HD. If you compare it to HD screencaps of older anime series that are rerun on Japanese TV, you should be able to see that their upscaling looks worse. You will sometimes see blurry 'pixel stairs' on mostly black outlines, which all seems to not be the case with Pokémon DP in HD.

Though it could be that Cartoon Network will only have SDTV versions of the episodes and will really have to upscale it, making it not looking as good as HD on TV Tokyo and co.

Perhaps we will see Movie 12 and the start of the G5 adaptation in HD, maybe? That would be logical to me. Until then, upscaled still looks good.

About TV Tokyo: It may seem upscaled, but it at least seems to be upscaled to HD while the production of the episode, instead of being upscaled by the TV network after they got an SDTV version of the episode. This makes Pokémon DP still look rather good, even though being seemingly upscaled to HD. If you compare it to HD screencaps of older anime series that are rerun on Japanese TV, you should be able to see that their upscaling looks worse. You will sometimes see blurry 'pixel stairs' on mostly black outlines, which all seems to not be the case with Pokémon DP in HD.

Upscaling quality tends to vary a lot from station to station, depending on the algorithms used. For example, the SD programs on the local CBS affiliate here tend to look a lot better than the other networks in the area. I'm not sure exactly what they do differently, but the picture definitely looks better.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom