• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Catching Pokemon the good 'ole fashioned way

Giustizia

As Dark as White can be..
Reaction score
An idea for a fic here, in dire need of attention and responses from other writers.
Most of us avid Pokefans have caught many a monster on our games, as was the intial purpose of the games, to catch them all.

Yet, as I whittle away yet more game time trying to complete the National Dex this morning, I found that most elusive inspiration that had avoided me for some time!
After finishing a rather uninteresting encounter with a Maractus, (which I subsequently caught!) I realised just how easy catching these "monsters" is!

Sure, we have exceptions! I won't go into detail at the language that escaped my mouth whilst bombarding Mewtwo with Ultraball after Ultraball...
Because we all know this forum isn't ideal for such obscenities ;)

But on a whole I can say that Pokemon, Pocket Monsters, should be more of a challenge to catch!

So, here is my idea, finally.

Think back to the days before the idea of the Pokedex could even be dreamed. Humans lived in relative harmony with the Pokemon they owned, but knew little about said Pokemon and even less about the wilder species which they had yet to tame.

The inventive use of the Apricorn to create holding devices for Pokemon is still new and not widely welcomed by those less loving of the monsters that also inhabit their world!

Amidst these people however, stands one man who’s only desire is to learn of the monsters. Coming from a family draped in the research of monsters, this youth spots his chance to greatly enhance the world’s understanding on Pokemon! Now that capture of said monsters is possible, researchers like himself and his father can spend hours at a time taking notes on them! Oh the joy!

No.

Capturing a monster in a ball the size of a baseball, isn’t going to be easy!
Imagine a raging Ursaring mother, irritable enough with a young Teddiursa to feed and protect, being pelted by multi-coloured fruit thrown by rather mad although kind intentioned young men.

The end result will not be pretty.

Sa a sort of Monster hunter journey fic mixed in with research notes being taken and... well yeah... that’s all I currently have!

`Any ideas?

So, I imagine this would be set in the old times before the invention of the Poké Balls and PokéDex? This sounds rather interesting and I'd love to see your depiction of how the humans and "monsters" were treating each other. Were they friendly to each other, were they hostile towards each other?

This couldn't turn out quite an interesting piece of work if done right, the history of Pokémon is always interesting to hear about. But I'm not so keen on the Monster Hunter part. Unless those are part of the plot or the bad guys who hunt down the creatures?

As for the timing, think way back ;) We've just harnessed the powers of Apricorns!
Also, I'm thinking of basing it in Kanto, so the lack of Apricorn trees in Kanto can be a result of this plotline.

The Pokemon themselves, won't yet be name Pokemon as they've just really been captured officially. Hence the name Pocket Monsters will be introduced as the story progresses.

And as for monster hunting, that's the capturing of the Pokemon!
I plan to depict Pokemon as real monsters, for example, cathing the aforementioned Ursaring would be like literally battling a fully grown grizzly bear.

However it's the timing of the fic which I need help to adjust.

Take for example Pokemon like Grimer and Voltorb. As the setting of the fic is before any real mass industrialization, electricity and toxic waste aren't yet around!
Which brings me onto the steel type as a problem! No electricity, no machines, no steel...

Yep, sounds good. It's like frog-giggin, 'cept the frogs breathe fire. And have poison scythes.

Take for example Pokemon like Grimer and Voltorb. As the setting of the fic is before any real mass industrialization, electricity and toxic waste aren't yet around! Which brings me onto the steel type as a problem! No electricity, no machines, no steel...
Um, steel types existed from the very past. Steel, iron, it's all part of the nature. As for Grimer, you could easily have it live in polluted water areas.

Guess what, people use Voltorb as inspiration for a Poké Ball? :p

Also, you'd need to explain very well how the apricorns would be able to store Pokémon. :|

steel types existed from the very past. Steel, iron, it's all part of the nature
As I'm sticking to my Kantonian guns here, with the only steel types from Kanto being Magnemite and Magneton, I can't really incorporate them into a story based 400-700 years before the events of Red and Blue. But I see what you mean. Pokemon like Steelix and Mawile could exist, definitely!

As for Grimer, you could easily have it live in polluted water areas.

There are just too many references in the Dex entries to the modern day...

Sludge that was transformed when exposed to X-rays from the moon.
Definite sludge!

Thrives by sucking up polluted sludge that is pumped out of factories.
From factories no less...

people use Voltorb as inspiration for a Poké Ball
This! I could definitely use! Thanks!

And as for the Apricorns... I could think of something! But anything that anyone else has got will be greatly appreciated! /hint

Science and Pokémon: A Good Catch - Bulbanews

^ GREAT article about the function of Pokeball storage. Apricorns, however, that's tough. Perhaps you could feature one of Kurt's ancestors as a new scientist who is looking into these sorts of things. The explanation, though, would have to be completely your own.

That was certainly an interesting read!
But as you said, in the case of Apricorns it will be tough! I don't really know how or where to begin... :}
Perhaps the branches of a certain species of tree can be used to line the edges of the mechanism, and can sort of "hold" the energy signature of the Pokemon?

Last edited:
But as you said, in the case of Apricorns it will be tough! I don't really know how or where to begin... :}
Perhaps the branches of a certain species of tree can be used to line the edges of the mechanism, and can sort of "hold" the energy signature of the Pokemon?
Perhaps a Pokémon played a role in creation of the very first or the 'primitive' Poké Ball?

Indeed! This will have to be a sort of SubPlot, that'll delve backwards through the characters' histories I guess, as the main plot heavily relies on this new technology the Apricorn will have to be explained in depth eventually!

An ancestor of Kurt's is looking a much more viable proposition right now!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom