• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cel identification help?

Lysandre

F***ing Fabulous
Reaction score
Hey guys, this has been bugging me for some time and somehow I'm only getting around to looking into it now. I picked up some Pokemon cels a few years back and I wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their heads what eps they're from- I don't have time to watch the entire original series again :X

First up

HNI_0090.jpg
HNI_0089.jpg
HNI_0046.jpg
HNI_0088.jpg

This one. I have absolutely no clue about this one whatsoever. The seller said it was the original background, and it has a scared Ash, Brock and Pikachu sans Misty in front of a dilapidated city. I really SHOULD know what this is from but I don't.

The next one I THINK is from Pokemon Emergency, but I'm not sure. It's a bit larger, shows more of Pikachu, and is lacking the Pikachus in the background. This one has a sketch, too.

CopyofHNI_0047.jpg
HNI_0048.jpg

So yeah, I THINK it's from Episode 2, but I'm not 100%.

I also have one of Ash crying with sketch but this is enough for now and I'm not sure where that one is.

Thanks in advance! :spin: And sorry for the crappy pics, I only have a DSi with me. I can try to borrow a camera if these aren't good enough though.

The first one does not look like from a episode, or a movie, the second one is from the second episode. The first one is interesting, I was like "Is Ash holding his junk?"

Why did you buy a picture of ash scratching his balls?

Hahaha, I'll be honest with you, I totally didn't realize his hand positioning until I got it back out to hang it up a few months ago. My friend was like "Why is Ash touching himself" and I'm like "CANNOT BE UNSEEN" XD

Thanks for the confirmation, Midnight Blue, Episode 2 is one I always wanted a cel from- early in the series. What do you mean about the first one when you said it doesn't look like an episode OR a movie, though? What else could it be from? =O

Also, I forgot to mention- the background, although you can't see here, has cracks all over the buildings. Not physical cel damage, but tiny hairline cracks painted in all over them. It really intrigues me...

Thanks for the confirmation, Midnight Blue, Episode 2 is one I always wanted a cel from- early in the series. What do you mean about the first one when you said it doesn't look like an episode OR a movie, though? What else could it be from? =O
Your welcome, well, off the top of my head it does not look like from a movie. So, it might be in an episode. I have not seen the original series in a long time.

Oh, I see what you're saying, sorry :lol: Thanks for your help!

It's alright, and your welcome, but may I suggest get someone that knows the series very well, and get a second opinion about the first photo.

Yeah, that's what I need to so... I'm hoping someone like that will stumble across this thread, but if you know an expert that would certainly help XD

Perhaps you could ask the people that are watching every single episode from beginning to end...there's a thread about it...one of them should know

Perhaps you could ask the people that are watching every single episode from beginning to end...there's a thread about it...one of them should know

Ooh, awesome idea! Thanks for your advice, I'll hop over there immediately.

I think I can answer your question, that is most likely from Hypno's Naptime and I believe its the scene where Ash and Brock find a whole bunch of kids and Misty in a hypnotized state where they think they are Pokemon. The ones I remember best are a boy thinking he is a Magikarp and Misty who thinks she is a Seal.

Edit: I went through my Kanto Pokemon DVDs and that turned out to not be the correct episode. Its really general so pinpointing an exact episode could be difficult and I am no expert in identifying Ash and Brock only scenes.

Last edited:
I think I can answer your question, that is most likely from Hypno's Naptime and I believe its the scene where Ash and Brock find a whole bunch of kids and Misty in a hypnotized state where they think they are Pokemon. The ones I remember best are a boy thinking he is a Magikarp and Misty who thinks she is a Seal.

Edit: I went through my Kanto Pokemon DVDs and that turned out to not be the correct episode. Its really general so pinpointing an exact episode could be difficult and I am no expert in identifying Ash and Brock only scenes.

Well, thanks for the input, and until you edited it I was watching that episode again too XD Great episode, worth it just to see it again. Thanks for your help and that's another confirmed episode it's NOT from! :lol:

Well, there goes my theory. I thought the same thing and was trying to find the scene. Oh well.

Hmm... I think it's one of the later episodes. Something after Celadon City.

I want to say Haunter vs. Kadabra, but can't check to make sure right now. :x

Also, I lol'd at Ash's hand.

I know it's been said... but damn it Ash this isn't a good time to be scratching your... err...

First Cel doesn't look like any episode I remember, then again, I can remember some of the original seasons episodes as clear as day and others I can't remember at all.
It's very possible however that it isn't actually from an episode, perhaps the background was from one episode but someone added Ash and Brock in or something.
I dunno, though.

I want to say Haunter vs. Kadabra, but can't check to make sure right now. :x

Also, I lol'd at Ash's hand.

I'll go watch that one real quick, that sounds about right. Thanks!

I know it's been said... but damn it Ash this isn't a good time to be scratching your... err...

First Cel doesn't look like any episode I remember, then again, I can remember some of the original seasons episodes as clear as day and others I can't remember at all.
It's very possible however that it isn't actually from an episode, perhaps the background was from one episode but someone added Ash and Brock in or something.
I dunno, though.

Yeah, that would make sense. Often these are paired up with the wrong backgrounds, and the average Pokemon fan wouldn't spot if it had been swapped or not... heck, even I haven't XD

You said the buildings in the back are...cracked, right? Or in some ruinous form?

If it's the original background, wouldn't that help?

Yeah, it SHOULD... but I can't remember any episodes where things are destroyed except for that episode with the giant Jigglypuff and the ancient Gengar, and I've already confirmed that one wasn't it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom