• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Cells at Work Mafia - Endgame (09/02/2020)

@Midorikawa Just out of pure curiosity, how would you have played my role if you were in my shoes?

Did you have fun?
I did!

Do you think the game was balanced and fair?
I think it may have gone better if I hadn't been killed off as early as I was, but for the most part, it seemed fair. It is, after all, a bastard game, and anything could've happened.

How were the bastard parts (The heaps of killing/prot roles, Insanifier, etc.)?
I don't think the insanifier was necessarily bad; it reminded me of the cult from a normal Mafia game. It just seemed like it was largely ignored, even after I died and it was revealed one existed, which I think made it worse than it actually was. The killing/protection roles seemed a bit much for this game, but that's about all I can think of.

Did you enjoy your role?
I enjoyed the part where I got to laugh in DMs while everyone else tried to figure out what was going on. I didn't actually get to use the kill-y part of my role though. I think the only frustrating part about it for me was not being able to communicate with anyone during D1/N1 when so much focus got thrown on me, but that's a commuter role for ya.

How was the flavour text?
Solid. Definitely a lot of effort put into it. I haven't actually seen the anime, so I can't comment on staying true to the show, but it looked solid to me.

Did I do a good job as host, could I have improved on anything?
I think you did a pretty good job, but this is my first game playing with you as a host (and my first game here on the forums in general). Everyone makes mistakes, and I think it's important to remember that. You seemed to realize that mistakes were made, and sometimes, you just gotta make 'em to learn from 'em.

What was your favourite part (eg. something funny or cool that happened)?
The part where LG voted to lynch me 47 minutes into the game as a joke; I think that's the fastest I've ever been voted to be lynched in a game, even if it was a joke. xD Also watching y'all try to figure me out day 1; I wanted to Lapras react to stuff so bad, haha.

Would you be interested in me hosting more similar Mafia games in the future and if so, any requests?
Yeah, definitely! It's been a few months or so since I last played forum Mafia, but I've found I enjoy it a lot more because there's a lot more analysis and detail that goes into it compared to live games because there's more time to think about stuff. hopefully next time i make it past N2 though

Did you have fun?

Yes! I don't think I did very much, but it was a game where most players were active, which made it enjoyable.

Not really. It's not impossible for town to win in this, but it'd be pretty difficult, I think.

The bulletproofs on all the anti-town roles and unlimited strongman in the mafia seemed a bit excessive. There wasn't too much variety in the roles, and that was a bit dull. I think it does fit the theme and context of the game, but I'd have preferred to see a bit more diversity.

Insanifier is a nice idea though, and I do want to see it in some other games in the future. Maybe not like a pseudo cult, but like on a jester or something.

Did you enjoy your role?

I certainly did better than the last game where I was a vigilante, that's for sure... :censored: Having both a doctor ability and a killing ability was fun even if I ended up doing nothing in the end.

It was great! I like how you included spectator roles into the game as well.

I think you did a good job hosting, there's nothing that stands out as lackluster to me. There qere a few small mistakes with vote counts, but they're not anything major to worry about.

Figuring out Midorikawa was scum was pretty fun! Kender surviving N2 by pure luck was also really amazing.

Would you be interested in me hosting more similar Mafia games in the future and if so, any requests?

Sure! I don't have any other requests that I can come up with.

Congrats to Cyanide for winning, and thank you to Zinn for being a lovely host! :bulbaLove:

@Midorikawa Just out of pure curiosity, how would you have played my role if you were in my shoes
I would have died. I would have done similar stuff as you did. Explain why I didn’t talk and stuff. Might have fully claimed though and hoped mafia would be kind enough to not kill me til indep was dead. I think reaction or rather way of posting changes stuff. My first post would probabl6 have been like this: FINALLY I CAN TALK!!! Thank you Zinn for giving me the most annoying role ever. My role literally has me silenced for the first day and night phase-_-

Something like that.

Did you have fun?
Yeah, it was a really enjoyable game.

No. Absolutely not. Not in the slightest.

Extremely.

Did you enjoy your role?

My first role was pretty standard, and I didn't exactly get to play around with it. But my second role was really interesting. Having to choose between keeping someone alive or recharging their shots to keep their powers going is a really interesting dynamic.

It was pretty solid, I enjoyed it.

Yeah, you did pretty well.

Watching everyone flail around from the graveyard. Because there was a lot of that.

Hmmm, I'll be honest, it's more of a maybe. Whether I go for bastardry or not tends to depend on my mood, so we won't know 'till we get there.

Additionally, I really don't like Felly's role on a conceptual level. I'm not a fan of the concept of forcing one of your players into inactivity for no reason other than they got unlucky in role distribution. I honestly would've been pretty mad if I'd gotten it.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I wasn't completely inactive; I know no one here is saying I was, but I think there was really no way to prove that D1/N1 since I was unable to communicate in the thread myself. I was able to talk in the PM I shared with Zinn (and Paris, Link, and Dylan), but for the most part, I didn't see any reason to really say too much about who was suspicious to me since it would've only been visible to me and those I shared the PM with. I decided to wait until night 1 started to even compile my thoughts onto paper when I was able to post D2. I was active and talking in the PM, but it wasn't anything terribly useful to the main players of the game.

Overall, I felt relatively useless that first day. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could've said something because being silent while I'm an active, still living player isn't really my cup of tea in the first place, but it was the role I was given and there was nothing I could do about that (other than rage quit and have Zinn find a sub for me, but what's the fun in that). I know commuter is an actual role in normal Mafia games, but maybe it wasn't the best role for this game; perhaps there may have been a way to still protect me D1/N1 from dying while also allowing me to somehow communicate with the other players.

EDIT: (since i can edit posts now since the game's over lmao) Also, I think maybe reflecting actual vote totals D1 may have been beneficial as well. I know it was a bastard game and all, but I think showing the one vote from LG on me would've helped a bit and maybe produced a different result, while also still showing that I was untargettable D1/N1. I'm not saying LG may not have been lynched under these circumstances; he very well still could've been, but it also very well could've resulted in a no lynch or possibly even a different result altogether. Basically, reflect the actual vote counts at the midday/final votes, but have the result be correct if there's some funky role functions going on behind the scenes. Might've made things a lil more interesting overall.

Last edited:
Ok, salt went down,
Grats on the win CyanideCrystal. Everyone played well, and I legit would be fine with anyone winning.

I'll rant some criticism and comment on what I liked and disliked about the game:

• So first of all I'd like to address the inactivity in the Bulbagarden Forums: We had 4 people that had to be subbed out (Auxilify, Mal, Officer Snake, and KingOfSparta) and people like AussieEevee who kinda just don't care about the game unless their ass are on the line; c'mon guys. Talking a bit about the roles in advance here, this already hurts the game a lot, having roles that promote even more inactivity like Felly's and the Insanified Neighborizer (or even the normal neighborizer to some degree tbf) is also a massive massive no.
    • I would love to know what the staff responsible for this subsection has been planning to promote and advertise Bulbagarden's mafia culture to new players and outsiders, if anything.

• The Balance - and what I feel like could've been changed
    • Town: ~4 killing roles. ~4 protective roles. 1 investigative role. 1 communicative role. 0 manipulative roles.
      • Like? Why? One bad night and town could've guaranteed town's loss N1. And like, this distribution actually made insanifier helpful to them, because if they lost too many killing/protective roles right at the start then the insanifier would theoretically compensate that, so like eh??? I feel like this is kind of a step back in the wrong direction because it reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul Mafia where we had 4 protective roles. 2 Strong killing roles and 2 Strong Protective roles would've been more than enough in my opinion.
      • Two investigative roles or even three since there are insanifiers cuz they're the ones affected the most. One or two manipulative roles.
    • Mafia: 1 Godfather. 1 Spy. 1 Roleblocker.
      • Honestly, Godfather was useless since an insane cop would still see them as guily; them being insanified would be seen as guilty; a sane cop could think they were insanified and think they were guilty, etc. Could've been something else.
      • Spy. I know you said it was pretty good, but I don't see HOW it was supposed to be strong. It would receive just small bits of the chat (the entire chat with redacted names would be perfectly fine since the neighbors keep changing imo) and if OS got insanified this role would be completely useless. How did Insane even affect this role? It's a fine role, but could be buffed and have a shot of something else.
      • Roleblocker was perfectly fine BUT WHY NINJA. The point of a Mafia game is that Mafia has the upper hand with more information than town despite having less players, by giving us roles that are effectively useless and misleading from the very start I feel like this kinda breaks the core idea of the game.
      • Since people were alerted they were attacked during the night you could've made some kind of role that gave a false warning. This wasn't really expected, but as the game went on people just claimed who attacked who, and the nightkill would always become obvious, which was kind of a pain and against the reason you prolly added so many killing roles. Stuff like Rolecop or a way for mafia to fight cancer would've been great too since it was an hostile independent. Strongman if you weren't willing to reduce the amount of protective roles, and 1x or 2x shared bulletproof if you reduced the amount of killing roles.
    • Scum: 1 Arsonist-Strongman Bomb-Insanifier
      • This shit can likely take literally everyone down with them even if Town or mafia played correctly, which is kinda revolting. Like, why? Isn't messing with the person role enough? Why make it a lot harder the insanified people to win?
      • Why does it have a high priority? Stuff like this should always hit at the end of the night in my opinion.
      • WHY DOES IT TURN FACTION KILLS INTO DOCTOR PROTECTIONS? This was one of the most absurd things I heard the entire game and was actually one of the main reasons if not the main reason I got upset in the end. It seemed like an excuse to say we were useless and that we couldn't do anything and shouldn't even try. Factional kills should NEVER be completely nullified since it completely ruins the point of the game.
      • Why couldn't it win with the insanified cells??? And why did it Strongman kill everyone it insanified after dying??? No, seriously, what was the point of this? The role was already interesting enough, it just added another way to mass kill and punish players for playing correctly. This isn't bastard imo, it's just wrong.

• Hosting and game setup
    • Zinn's hosting is mostly fine. I appreciate the care and dedication you put in your games. You're most of the time around and keeping up with the game, ready to answer questions. You're always on time for stuff like phase updates and you're always interacting with the players which is great.
    • Now, on the other hand. God there were a few things that just triggered me. PLEASE, don't react to in-thread posts that contain anything remotely relevant to the game, NEVER; people can extract info from literally anything and even stuff outside the thread can sometimes be used, so like, gotta be SUPER careful with this stuff because it can hint host knowledge. And dammit, don't end games when more than one outcome could happen, no matter the odds: Town could've won if I holstered the shot while Cyan targeted me; Mafia could've won if I shot him if he targeted Tood; Cyanide could've won in the scenario that you considered; and everyone could've voted for a draw; literally ANYTHING could've happened, despite the odds of some being massively lower that others, it shouldn't be up to the host to decide who should win just because it's more likely at that moment, which was also another factor that annoyed significantly since I believe strongly that people have the right to fight until the VERY end.
    • The Co-Host (hi milove what the fuck) and the MoD (do these even do anything, really) felt super absent and I feel like a REALLY good chunk of minor and some major inconveniences could've been avoided if Zinn had more of their help in this game. I know they have their lives and irl problems, but damn, inactivity there is getting more and more common/frustrating as well.
    • The setup was fine. Not balanced, but fine. It was the usual, so there wasn't anything to discuss.
    • Flavor was nice. The flavor from the flips could've used more work, since they were weaker.
    • Overall it was a pretty good experimental first Bastard game, and what really matter to me in the end is if the hosts were able to learn and hone their skills. I don't know if I'm being brutally honest with all this criticism, but I hope it doesn't discourage them to try new stuff, including bastard games. I'm looking forward the next few games, and sorry if I got too harsh earlier.
I'm pretty tired rn, so I'm not sure if I covered everything
if I forgot anything I'll edit the post later

Last edited:
  • So first of all I'd like to address the inactivity in the Bulbagarden Forums: We had 4 people that had to be subbed out (Auxilify, Mal, Officer Snake, and KingOfSparta) and people like AussieEevee who kinda just don't care about the game unless their ass are on the line; c'mon guys. Talking a bit about the roles in advance here, this already hurts the game a lot, having roles that promote even more inactivity like Felly's and the Insanified Neighborizer (or even the normal neighborizer to some degree tbf) is also a massive massive no.
    • I would love to know what the staff responsible for this subsection has been planning to promote and advertise Bulbagarden's mafia culture to new players and outsiders, if anything.

I think the inactivity issue on my role may not have been as big of a deal if the other four players you mentioned were more active. I'm not trying to justify Zinn's choice for developing my role, but I'm just trying to say that I think me having a role that promoted inactivity wouldn't have been as big of a deal if everyone else was active because I might've flown under the radar a little more.

As for the inactivity issue as a whole, it looks like Aux, Mal, and King were all new to the forums, and possibly new to mafia games as a whole (or, at least in the case of King, he openly admitted he was new). It's possible they may not have known what they were doing and couldn't keep up with so many relatively experienced players for the most part because things moved rather quickly, even for a forum game (hell, I even found myself doing some posts on mobile D2 and I never like doing posts mobile, especially with Mafia because I prefer to do lengthy posts to analyze and figure things out), so they bailed; maybe there were other irl things keeping them away from the game, but inexperience could've been a possibility too. Had I known that King was looking for a sub sooner, I would've subbed in for him, but from the sounds of it, it sounded like Zinn had everything covered, so I went ahead and joined the Discord chat; by the time I found out, it was too late.

Role or no role, inactivity is definitely frustrating. I don't think it's just an issue with this game alone, but as an entire section; it was just a bigger deal in this game because 3 players had to be subbed out, and one of the players that did get subbed in was also inactive (Officer Snake). I don't think this is the appropriate place to discuss this issue as a whole since this is one game and I think the focus deserves to be on Zinn's game and how mechanics could be improved for the future, but I will say this: a quick glance at the Mafia section here on BMGf as a whole seems a little... intimidating, so to speak. Just glancing briefly at other games (and reading Zinn's previous games), it looks like there's a lot of mechanics involved that newer players may not know or really understand in the first place; on top of learning the game, they're also learning about extra things related to their role or the game as a whole. It can be a lot for one person to take in. Don't get me wrong, I like it; I like the variety in the games and how it brings something new to the table. Playing vanilla Mafia can, admittedly, get boring after a while. For me, this was like a breath of fresh air; I've seen a lot of vanilla Mafia in my time, and having something different like this was really refreshing for me. I think maybe bringing in more vanilla games, boring as they may be for inexperienced players, may help things along. There's other ideas floating around in my head, but like I said, I don't want to focus too much on the section as a whole, important as that is, when I think we want to focus on the individual game here.

Also, something something making phases longer maybe with a vote to make them shorter if others agree. I can't speak for others, but I know for me personally, working nights, then coming home to throw myself at this game late at night, when it seemed like most others had gone off for the night didn't really help. I would read throughout the day and all, but when I'd get home, I'd go back through, look at things again, and type up my post, which for me, is a rather time consuming process, so sometimes posts wouldn't get out till real late. Zinn's time zone didn't help (but that's not anyone's fault), but in general, it just seems like everyone's busy with work or school or personal lives, and with time zones and other commitments, 48 hours doesn't feel like enough time to get things done sometimes, especially in times where every post and thought counts.

I agree this is an issue, but you also need to keep in mind Aux, Mal & Sparta are all new players, Aux had personal reasons, Mal was terribly sick and had to sub out and Sparta got a lot of work dumped on him and couldn't keep up.
Nothing to do with my game though.
Also Neighbourizer was supposed to encourage activity, it sucks that it ended up in the hands of two inactive players though.
  • Town: ~4 killing roles. ~4 protective roles. 1 investigative role. 1 communicative role. 0 manipulative roles.
    • Like? Why? One bad night and town could've guaranteed town's loss N1. And like, this distribution actually made insanifier helpful to them, because if they lost too many killing/protective roles right at the start then the insanifier would theoretically compensate that, so like eh??? I feel like this is kind of a step back in the wrong direction because it reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul Mafia where we had 4 protective roles. 2 Strong killing roles and 2 Strong Protective roles would've been more than enough in my opinion.
    • Two investigative roles or even three since there are insanifiers cuz they're the ones affected the most. One or two manipulative roles.
The EvenNight Vig couldn't attack night one, Bodyguard, Doc and Odd night Doc, Inventor were all protection roles night one and Commute too if you consider that.
I do agree that I had far too many killing/prot roles though, but the insanifier was supposed to meddle with them and make it chaotic
I also agree that town could've benefited from a role cop or tracker/watcher.

• Mafia: 1 Godfather. 1 Spy. 1 Roleblocker.
    • Honestly, Godfather was useless since an insane cop would still see them as guily; them being insanified would be seen as guilty; a sane cop could think they were insanified and think they were guilty, etc. Could've been something else.
    • Spy. I know you said it was pretty good, but I don't see HOW it was supposed to be strong. It would receive just small bits of the chat (the entire chat with redacted names would be perfectly fine since the neighbors keep changing imo) and if OS got insanified this role would be completely useless. How did Insane even affect this role? It's a fine role, but could be buffed and have a shot of something else.
    • Roleblocker was perfectly fine BUT WHY NINJA. The point of a Mafia game is that Mafia has the upper hand with more information than town despite having less players, by giving us roles that are effectively useless and misleading from the very start I feel like this kinda breaks the core idea of the game.
    • Since people were alerted they were attacked during the night you could've made some kind of role that gave a false warning. This wasn't really expected, but as the game went on people just claimed who attacked who, and the nightkill would always become obvious, which was kind of a pain and against the reason you prolly added so many killing roles. Stuff like Rolecop or a way for mafia to fight cancer would've been great too since it was an hostile independent. Strongman if you weren't willing to reduce the amount of protective roles, and 1x or 2x shared bulletproof if you reduced the amount of killing roles.
Godfather wasn't useless even to an Insane cop, because if the cop thought they were insane they wouldn't know whether to trust the Mafia result they got, while getting a Town result just made it more likely they'd suspect Mafia.
Spy was supposed to be useful by revealing posts from the Neighbourizer chat that never got used, I can't speak for exactly how useful since inactivity made the Spy useless too. As I stated in my earlier post Spy was one of the only roles that Insane had little affect on, only affecting their kill.
Ninja was a red herring, designed to make the Mafia have a harder time deciding between two powers. It's a bastard game, the whole point is being misleading.
That last one does sound like a useful role, which I might've added if I'd thought of it. Other powers for Mafia would've been useful too, but I didn't want to make the setup more broken than it already was.

• Scum: 1 Arsonist-Strongman Bomb-Insanifier
    • This shit can likely take literally everyone down with them even if Town or mafia played correctly, which is kinda revolting. Like, why? Isn't messing with the person role enough? Why make it a lot harder the insanified people to win?
    • Why does it have a high priority? Stuff like this should always hit at the end of the night in my opinion.
    • WHY DOES IT TURN FACTION KILLS INTO DOCTOR PROTECTIONS? This was one of the most absurd things I heard the entire game and was actually one of the main reasons if not the main reason I got upset in the end. It seemed like an excuse to say we were useless and that we couldn't do anything and shouldn't even try. Factional kills should NEVER be completely nullified since it completely ruins the point of the game.
    • Why couldn't it win with the insanified cells??? And why did it Strongman kill everyone it insanified after dying??? No, seriously, what was the point of this? The role was already interesting enough, it just added another way to mass kill and punish players for playing correctly. This isn't bastard imo, it's just wrong.
Because Insanifier was a cult leader/bomb. The aim of this game was for town to cooperate in order to win, instead we ended up with town killing each other with barely any proof, take MegaPod, I had no idea why he targeted the people he did, he even tried to kill the claimed vigilante. This is another reason Neighbourizer was supposed to play a big part.
It was second in priority only to Roleblocker. It meant that the person they targeted became insane that night. But they could still be roleblocked.
It turned all actions to their opposite effect, not really sure why you have such a big issue with this. Are you saying Mafia should be completely immune to things affecting their kills? Should I just make them ignore roleblocks and protections while I'm at it?
Because it simply wasn't designed that way. Technically it wasn't a strongman kill, but a mod kill that would take them out, like with a bomb, only something like Deathproof would protect against it. Again it was a Cult Leader, there are some cult leaders that have all their followers die when the leader dies, this wasn't some random thing I made up.

• Hosting and game setup
    • Zinn's hosting is mostly fine. I appreciate the care and dedication you put in your games. You're most of the time around and keeping up with the game, ready to answer questions. You're always on time for stuff like phase updates and you're always interacting with the players which is great.
    • Now, on the other hand. God there were a few things that just triggered me. PLEASE, don't react to in-thread posts that contain anything remotely relevant to the game, NEVER; people can extract info from literally anything and even stuff outside the thread can sometimes be used, so like, gotta be SUPER careful with this stuff because it can hint host knowledge. And dammit, don't end games when more than one outcome could happen, no matter the odds: Town could've won if I holstered the shot while Cyan targeted me; Mafia could've won if I shot him if he targeted Tood; Cyanide could've won in the scenario that you considered; and everyone could've voted for a draw; literally ANYTHING could've happened, despite the odds of some being massively lower that others, it shouldn't be up to the host to decide who should win just because it's more likely at that moment, which was also another factor that annoyed significantly since I believe strongly that people have the right to fight until the VERY end.
    • The Co-Host (hi milove what the fuck) and the MoD (do these even do anything, really) felt super absent and I feel like a REALLY good chunk of minor and some major inconveniences could've been avoided if Zinn had more of their help in this game. I know they have their lives and irl problems, but damn, inactivity there is getting more and more common/frustrating as well.
    • The setup was fine. Not balanced, but fine. It was the usual, so there wasn't anything to discuss.
    • Flavor was nice. The flavor from the flips could've used more work, since they were weaker.
    • Overall it was a pretty good experimental first Bastard game, and what really matter to me in the end is if the hosts were able to learn and hone their skills. I don't know if I'm being brutally honest with all this criticism, but I hope it doesn't discourage them to try new stuff, including bastard games. I'm looking forward the next few games, and sorry if I got too harsh earlier.
I try to keep my games on time and well organised.
I really don't know why everyone is getting pissy with me because I agreed with Lone's comment on you posting like five fucking times in a row, excuse me for not wanting spam in my game. How the hell does me liking that post affect the game in any way, other than to tell people to calm the fuck down before they post wildly.
I ended the game after waiting a few hours, everyone else submitted their actions except for you. It was clear they weren't interested in a draw and I pointed out at the start of the final phase that you couldn't change your target once submitted, as soon as Cyanide entered their action on you, the game had ended in their win. If you didn't target anyone, Cyanide would've won with 3/4 Insane still. Cyanide had no reason to agree to a draw since your action had been rendered useless, sure if Cyanide visited Tood then Mafia would've won, but they didn't so Mafia lost.
Parissong's computer broke so they weren't able to be active during the game, it was unfortunate timing. SoaringDylan was super busy with work for most of the game (wow having a life outside of Mafia, insane right?) and he told me from the start that things might come up with his schedule.
As I pointed out from the start my flavour for the phase updates was going to be bad, the Cells at Work wiki has shitall information on it and some of these Cells never even interact with each other in the show and I don't know how actual human cells operate and what they do in the body.

I have learnt many things from hosting this game, such as never running such a game again. You're certainly brutally honest and for that I thank you, yes it pisses me off, but you're right and sometimes you simply need to face the truth.

In case anyone was curious how I knew this game needed a sub, it was Light. He messaged me asking me to sub in.

And frankly if anyone ever needs a sub in a game and I’m dead or not in it, hit me up, and I’ll most likely sub.

Despite the inactivity though, from what I’ve read through, this game was nicely active. I’ve played in games that were so dead it was ridiculous. So I would say to me this game was an active one.

Back
Top Bottom