• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CGI Pokemon Movie

I think the anime movies' plot is relatively deep compared to the show itself. I enjoy the epic adventures that ash and co. find themselves in.

I will say that I only want them to even attempt a CGI/real life movie if they do it right...meaning a disney/pixar-like plot that both kids and adults can enjoy...but I fear that it won't happen because of money. I don't know how many people would go a see a Pokemon movie in 2009 in theaters.

I REALLY don't want some sort of Dragonball Revolution-type embarrassment done with Pokemon. So if they were to do it, I'd want a sizable budget, but again, that would probably never happen.

If THEY don't make a live-action Pokémon movie, I will most certainly try.

If my band kicks off, all we need is a couple big hits (highly unlikely, I know) and we might just make enough cash to purchase the film rights. Then we need a few more hits (again, big dreams, small reality) to cover the film's budget.

And then I need to work a little more on getting the kinks out of the story...

Anyone got any big DOs and DON'Ts I may have missed?

If THEY don't make a live-action Pokémon movie, I will most certainly try.

If my band kicks off, all we need is a couple big hits (highly unlikely, I know) and we might just make enough cash to purchase the film rights. Then we need a few more hits (again, big dreams, small reality) to cover the film's budget.

And then I need to work a little more on getting the kinks out of the story...

Anyone got any big DOs and DON'Ts I may have missed?

...I applaud the optomism...but really...

You're going to need more then a couple big hits. You're going to have the become an internationally known band with platinum records and millions and millions of dollars. I don't know your band, but that's just ridiculously unrealistic. I don't even know why I'm giving it this serious of a response.

Having enough money is one thing. Obtaining the film rights and all the licensing issues is another. I really don't have knowledge in this kind of industry but hell, it's complicated. I highly doubt they would want some completely inexperienced American celebrity (that's what you'd be with the band) to go making a Pokemon movie. There's probably many reasons they haven't tried already.

And pretending this out of the blue idea came to fruition, the movie would most likely end up sucking.

...I applaud the optomism...but really...

You're going to need more then a couple big hits. You're going to have the become an internationally known band with platinum records and millions and millions of dollars. I don't know your band, but that's just ridiculously unrealistic. I don't even know why I'm giving it this serious of a response.

Having enough money is one thing. Obtaining the film rights and all the licensing issues is another. I really don't have knowledge in this kind of industry but hell, it's complicated. I highly doubt they would want some completely inexperienced American celebrity (that's what you'd be with the band) to go making a Pokemon movie. There's probably many reasons they haven't tried already.

And pretending this out of the blue idea came to fruition, the movie would most likely end up sucking.

I KNOW it's ridiculously unrealistic. That's my specialty.

And of course you don't know my band, we haven't fully formed yet. We don't even have a name.

Gimme a break, dreaming is legal, innit? And don't say the movie sucks before you see it. That's like saying you hate a person you only heard about five seconds ago.

And you say "American" like that's a bad thing. As long as the story and effects are balanced and GOOD, who cares who makes it?

Though I would prefer an American/European production. The Japanese can understand English, but most Americans can't understand Japanese. And dubbing may work for anime, but it's horrible in live-action.

...That's EXACTLY why it will be bad. The anime movies have not exactly set a high precedent. Because as it is it seems the producers think that childrn just want to see big explosive battles with lots of effects. Aimed at children means less plot, more boom boom.

But not always, and again, it's only because people expect it that we get that. If people expected more from kids entertainment, we'd get more.

I think that a real-life Pokemon movie might be cool. I always wondered what a Pokemon would look like in real life. But I don't think the movie would have a good plot or anything. It actually might ruin Pokemon alltogether if it failed.

I think that a real-life Pokemon movie might be cool. I always wondered what a Pokemon would look like in real life. But I don't think the movie would have a good plot or anything. It actually might ruin Pokemon alltogether if it failed.

Maybe. But the Super Mario Bros movie didn't kill Mario. Everyone just kinda accepts that it was bad and we don't go back to it.

I KNOW it's ridiculously unrealistic. That's my specialty.

And of course you don't know my band, we haven't fully formed yet. We don't even have a name.

Gimme a break, dreaming is legal, innit? And don't say the movie sucks before you see it. That's like saying you hate a person you only heard about five seconds ago.

And you say "American" like that's a bad thing. As long as the story and effects are balanced and GOOD, who cares who makes it?

Though I would prefer an American/European production. The Japanese can understand English, but most Americans can't understand Japanese. And dubbing may work for anime, but it's horrible in live-action.

Yeah...this post makes you lose even more credibility. Though I don't see why you're being so hostile after posting one of the most farfetched things I've ever read here.

I obviously don't think American is a bad thing, but I can't say the same for the Japanese producers. I'm going to play your game and say even if it happened, yes I can quite safely say the movie would suck. Although you may have great ideas for the plot, they are going to do more than a lot of supervising...it would only ever be approved if it was a dumbed down, kiddy flick with lots of special effects.

I'm really not going to contemplate it anymore, there's a differenc between dreaming and having your head stuck in the clouds.

But not always, and again, it's only because people expect it that we get that. If people expected more from kids entertainment, we'd get more.

People don't expect more, and why should they? Their core audience are children, not us. And those children have no clue what real potential Pokemon has, so they will be satisfied with their cutesy little movies and go buy every toy and dvd when it comes out. This is all the producers want, so as long as they're making money they have no incentive to try to make a real piece of art.

If the plot is really good and the CGI pokemon don't look too awkward and still have that signature 'pokemon' look and feel, then I'm beginning to think the movie might work.

But don't you think that in order to succeed, it would need to be aimed at not just hard-core Pokemon fans, but also to the more casual fans that once were part of the phenomenon in the late 90s-early 2000s?

And I would think that to do that, you would almost need the familiarity and iconic presence of Ash and Pikachu to do this...but it's already been said that a CGI Movie would probably be better with a new character.

I'd just like to know how violent it would get. With the anime you can get away easily with no blood and whatnot. With CGI... it just makes it look even less unrealistic.

I think it's possible to make a good CGI Pokémon movie - it just needs an outstanding director - like Steven Spielberg or James Cameron. Although they have done only live-action movies.

There has been much arguing about what the plot should be so that the movie would work. I'm pretty sure that ANY adaptation of games, manga or TV series will be a letdown. Its simply impossible to cover them all - the Pokémon world holds too much stuff, even if it's superficial. There would be many aspects and explanations that would be missing.

The only way to avoid this problem would be this. Movie should tell how the Pokémon World was born. By this, I mean the transformation of our current world (with financial crisis and terrorism) to the Pokémon World. The events starting the transformation will almost certainly be very clichéd, but that's not important. Asteroid hits Earth and brings Pokémon with them and they overthrow animal kingdom. Space-time dimension breach rupturing. Radiation experiments mutate animals into Pokémon. Whatever.

The important thing: placing the events before Gen I, before anything that has happened in the games, manga or TV series, it gives the writers excellent possibility to retcon things. Oh yes, and Pikachu will be in the movie. One way or another.

I also think that Pokémon abilities should be toned down. The "animé physics" should be minimum. What do you think?

way minimum. Most of them don't make sense. "Ash Ketchum! You've just been struck repeatedly by 10,000 volts of electricity! What are you going to do next?"

I like that idea. What concerns me most about a cgi movie is that like you said, some adaption of the games or anime. It just wouldn't be...wouldn't make much sense. And especially with the asteroid. I mean, if the Clefairy came on a spaceship, it would be cool to see. Maybe even catch a glimpse of the Clefairy's home planet? Maybe a little bit of planetology as well?

Very unlikely. It'd also look odd seeing Ash, Dawn and Brock in CG as well.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom