• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chain Fishing=Shiny Pokemon

Reaction score
I saw a thread on /vp/ saying that if you consecutively fish for Pokemon like what the fisherman in Route 16 said the chances of encountering a shiny will increase like the PokeRadar.

It's quite easy to do all you need is:
-A pokemon in the front of your party with the ability Suction Cups/Sticky Hold so you'll always get a bite.
-A pokemon that knows Surf.
-Any fishing rod registered for faster access.

1. All you have to do is go to any spot that has a small place for you to fish. Make sure there's at least a rock near that spot. EDIT: I don't know if having a rock by your spot is required but try fishing without the rock to see if it works.
Example:
JYgr23X.jpg

2. Next you fish for a pokemon like always and when you go into battle just run away. If you fail to reel in the pokemon you have to start over. I also heard that if you catch the pokemon the chain will end but I'm not sure if that's true.
EDIT: Don't move from your fishing spot as well.

3. Keep fishing for pokemon until a shiny one appears. Keep in mind you can't control what shiny pokemon will show up like the Pokeradar. I've done this today and I got a shiny Relicanth and Clawitzer as a result.

Source: High fishing chains = higher shiny chance? Results inside - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

Last edited:
I can confirm this works. I caught a shiny Clawitzer after a chain of 34.

Edit: Also, shiny Gyarados get.

Last edited:
Confirming as well - I can only estimate the chains since I was playing this at school between classes, but a Shiny Horsea appeared within 30.

cez8T5E.jpg

Edit: FOUND A SECOND SHINY HORSEA
THIS STUFF IS REAL

Last edited:
*phew* After a chain of a whopping 72, I finally came across a Shiny. A Shiny Dragalge! It's very pretty!

Edit: Another chain of 26 and got a Shiny Poliwhirl on Route 21. Hoping for Shiny Dragonair so fingers crossed!

Edit: Switched to good rod, got a Shiny Horsea with a chain of only 5 :eek:

Edit: Shiny Skrelp, chain of 28

Last edited:
I can confirm this works. I caught a shiny Clawitzer after a chain of 34.

Edit: Also, shiny Gyarados get.

Oh, a red Gyarados. I have never seen something like this before.

Just kidding. I'll give this a try. Though I never forget when searching for a Feebas took so long I picked a golden Magikarp before even finding my target.

Yeah, I got a shiny Horsea doing this earlier so it's real. I also got a shiny Skrelp about an hour before the Horsea, which could have been linked to this but not sure (I was trying to find a Chinchou and fishing a lot for that - turns out I was in the wrong place anyway but I got a shiny out of it :p).

^Poor you, that must suck. I've never got a shiny from fishing, maybe i should give it a try.

This seems cool and I really want to seriously try it out. I got to about a chain of 4 before Pokemon stopped biting -_- I have nothing with Suction Cups though so that's probably why. I hope I maybe can get some shinies from this.

Catch an Inkay on Route 8, they're common and have Suction Cup. It doesn't matter if it's fainted, as long as it's at the head of your party. That way your overlevelled Pokemon that goes into battle can run away.

Damn, after getting a Shiny Gabite earlier today in Friend Safari I tried this... one chain of 82 later, ended up with a shiny Qwilfish! Not the best Shiny or anything but I'll gladly take it. Just when I was starting to think I'd be the only one not to come across a Shiny lol. Definitely doing this some more.

tumblr_mv1xm5H3G81sdupp1o1_1280.jpg
Wow, I didn't think this would actually work! Got this guy at a chain of 35.

This is probably how I got my shiny Luvdisc at the beginning of the game, I was beating them up to train up Helioptile and must have fought at least 20 in a row.

Luvdisc is probably the easiest shiny to get this way, since the Old Rod guarantees you'll find only them. I'm trying for a Skrelp now.

EDIT:
ylpH9BK.jpg

Look who just joined the shiny Skrelp club X)

Last edited:
Shiny Skrelp get! Only took a chain of around 10 this time. Important deal for those that can't seem to find a shiny: from what I understand, catching anything knocks down your Shiny chances back to normal, probably to keep us from catching dozens of Shinies in a single chain. Don't know about simply knocking them out, but my advice is just to run from everything until you come across a Shiny. Probably explains why it took me a chain of 82 to catch my first one.

Edit: Clarified a bit.

Last edited:
I wonder what's so special about chain fishing that makes it more likely for you to encounter a shiny?

If you move at all whilst fishing, will this break the chain? (ie. must be stationary)

I can vouch for this, and I'm someone who breaks chains of anything REALLY fast.

The first guy I got was him:
OspMtLW.jpg

and then this morning I got:
Tl6JFUy.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom