• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Chairman Rose

Thoughts from my profile.
Would Rose also be jailed for allowing that beast to nearly kill someone?
That crime should be mentioned more.

What if Leon had died? Rose could be found and beaten up unless he got a good disguise.
So Leon’s fans would attack Rose for indirectly causing harm him to die? While Rose’s actions definitely put Leon in harm’s way and he is partially at fault for whatever happened, Rose did not intentionally hurt him, and Leon chose to go after Eternatus of his volition and also chose to remain close to Eternatus when it broke free from the PokéBall. Rose would rightfully be blamed for indirectly causing Leon’s death, but I don’t think Leon’s grieving fans would be pushed to the point of attacking Rose unless they’re all, like, the Pokémon equivalent of soccer hooligans.

Rose also appears throughout the game while Lysandre appears like one time to make you go "oh hey there's the villain" and then doesn't show up again until the climax. At least that's my recollection of his character, if there was anymore he clearly didn't leave much of an impression. I did know Rose was going to be the villain but it at least felt like it meant something.

Now I do wish they had spent a bit more time explaining why Rose did what he did... and a bit more than that explaining what he actually did. But they still handled him better than Lysandre so progress, I guess.

Resident Lysandre fan here and he definitely appeared multiple times before the climax:

- Once in Sycamore's Lab
- Then he's debating with Diantha in Café Soleil
- We next meet him in his own café after looping back around to Lumiose
- He also calls you twice on the Holo Caster to muse about his ideals

Rose has pretty much as many scenes:

- He gets the "Welcome to the World of Pokémon" cinematic
- We first meet him in Motostoke
- Meet him again in Hulbury where he's "incognito"
- Once more in Hammerlocke when he discusses the workings of the Energy Plant
- And then at the mural when he revokes Bede's Challenger status

But his scenes are usually longer, so it makes sense that he'd stand out more. But for my part I personally think Lysandre is actually the better-written of the two.

The other thing that bugged me: 1,000 years to run out of energy is an awfully long time, and his insistence on getting Eternatus now seems nonsensical. Perhaps make it ten years, to make the crisis feel more acute, but equally have Rose taking even more drastic measures; perhaps he needs to drain Eternatus, while the protagonist has to prove that it's willing to share its energy with Galar if captured and calmed?

I know I've said this before but I think the disparity in time is very much the point. It's supposed to be an issue that's so far out that we agree with Leon when he says there's no pressing need to disrupt the schedule for the Championship match, while at the same time, Rose can make the fairly reasonable argument that nobody who cares about the match will even be alive when the supposed crisis hits, so sacrificing a timely sports event isn't asking a lot. It's a simply a conflict between two egos.

If the purported energy crisis (and I want to stress that we still don't really know what evidence Rose was basing his estimation on, which to me feels deliberate) were literally going to happen within a decade or so, I think Leon would look like an absolute fool for thinking that a sports match was more important. Like I said, I don't think this is a climate change narrative. Despite the subject matter, it's closer to a techno-philosophical debate like "How should we regulate artificial intelligence when it reaches a certain point of computational complexity?" as opposed to an actual ecological debate like "If we don't stop pumping carbon into our atmosphere real soon, our grandchildren will literally be burning and starving to death in the streets."

A good example of his vanity is the disguised scene in Hulbury. His disguise is crap, but it’s deliberately so because he wants people to recognise him and he’s very happy signing autographs until Olena has to basically drag him away.

Something I've also thought about before is how this puts the lie to his stated sense of urgency when it comes to addressing his responsibilities - he'll rush to deal with the problems that he feels are significant, but he's happy to hang around and bask in his celebrity for a little while longer if it's just some corporate meeting he's holding up. Which to me feels like a very human contradiction.

Thoughts from my profile.
Would Rose also be jailed for allowing that beast to nearly kill someone?
That crime should be mentioned more.

Depends on if Poké-World has jails or not, I guess. They've never actually been shown to exist, and the vast majority of people who've been involved with criminal syndicates in Pokémon have been allowed to walk free of their own volition, so I think their justice system is probably quite different from ours.

What if Leon had died? Rose could be found and beaten up unless he got a good disguise.

... though I think Pokémon definitely doesn't do mob justice.

Last edited:
The player and Hop' s welfare must be more important to him.
He didn’t seem to be shielding them though. I figure he was close in an attempt to get a good aim on the PokéBall throw, but why he didn’t run back to a safe distance after he did it is beyond me.

He didn’t seem to be shielding them though. I figure he was close in an attempt to get a good aim on the PokéBall throw, but why he didn’t run back to a safe distance after he did it is beyond me.
Leon could have time to tell Charizard to protect the two, then run to a safe distance?

Leon could have time to tell Charizard to protect the two, then run to a safe distance?
I feel like he could have done both at the same time, run the moment he throws the ball, or have one of his other five Pokémon do something.

From a real world standpoint, I just feel that him being close to Eternatus’s explosion was just an easy way to get rid of him so that the player could take over. I think it would’ve been better—and upped the stakes—if Eternatus tried to attack Leon or the player and Hop and Leon shielded them with his body (his Pokémon could be injured or busy with something so that they couldn’t aid him). It accomplishes the same thing, making Eternatus look like a threat and giving the player control, but feels a little more realistic.

That’s the thing, the smartest vain people do a lot to appear as if they aren’t vain while setting other people up to talk about them. Hammy vain is more like egotistical, which would have made the trait more obvious but would have taken away from the “twist“ of him being the villain.
Isn't that more or less a trope in Japan? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading that characters like Frieza speak in a polite way because they are so vain that they think they don't even need to brag to show their superiority.

Granted, my only exposure to Japanese Frieza is through J-Stars Victory Vs, which seems to corroborate that considering he uses "watashi" in dialogue.

What I expected: Iron Man.

What I got: Vain Dad Bod man in swimming trunks and with a dope OST.

I was not disappointed.

Rose is somewhat like Team Aqua and Magma. They wanted a better world, and thought that Kyogre/Groudon/ Eternatus would help people in some way, but they couldnt control the legendaries and they almost destroyed everything .

The games villains can be divided in:

1 The ones who only want money and steal pokemon: team skull/team Rocket
2 The ones that wanted to use a legendary for good, but everything went wrong: Rose, team aqua/team magma
3 The NeoNazi ones that wanted to kill most or all the people and pokemon to replace them with what they thought would be perfection: Team Galactic and Team Flare
4 The Hypocritical Pokemon rights ativists: Team plasma and Aether foundation

Rose is somewhat like Team Aqua and Magma. They wanted a better world, and thought that Kyogre/Groudon/ Eternatus would help people in some way, but they couldnt control the legendaries and they almost destroyed everything .

The games villains can be divided in:

1 The ones who only want money and steal pokemon: team skull/team Rocket
2 The ones that wanted to use a legendary for good, but everything went wrong: Rose, team aqua/team magma
3 The NeoNazi ones that wanted to kill most or all the people and pokemon to replace them with what they thought would be perfection: Team Galactic and Team Flare
4 The Hypocritical Pokemon rights ativists: Team plasma and Aether foundation
Aether actually falls in Type 3 during SM, with something similar to Type 2 in USUM.

Aether actually falls in Type 3 during SM, with something similar to Type 2 in USUM.
I dont actually remember Aether wanting to kill almost all people and pokemon during SM. Lusamine wanted Nihilego , even if it meant to risk Nebby´s life. The ultra beasts coming to alola was more a collateral effect, I dont actually remember Lusamine wanting them invading alola and destroying everything. They fit type 4 better, because they claimed to protect pokemon, but made both nebby and type:null suffer and froze slowpoke and pikachu . Yeah, they could fall on type 2 in USUM, but they also fall on type 4 .

I dont actually remember Aether wanting to kill almost all people and pokemon during SM. Lusamine wanted Nihilego , even if it meant to risk Nebby´s life. The ultra beasts coming to alola was more a collateral effect, I dont actually remember Lusamine wanting them invading alola and destroying everything.
Well, that's the thing. She didn't only want Nihilego, she wanted to release the UBs in Alola without caring for how many people and Pokémon she kills/hurts. It was not collateral damage, that's what she wanted.

Well, that's the thing. She didn't only want Nihilego, she wanted to release the UBs in Alola without caring for how many people and Pokémon she kills/hurts. It was not collateral damage, that's what she wanted.
I understood that UBs in alola was collateral effect. Maybe she doesnt care if people and pokemon are hurt, but hurting/kill people and pokemon wasnt her main goal. Its different from Lysandre and cyrus. Lysandre and Cyrus think that people and pokemon SHOULD be killed. Lusamine just doesnt care.

I understood that UBs in alola was collateral effect. Maybe she doesnt care if people and pokemon are hurt, but hurting/kill people and pokemon wasnt her main goal. Its different from Lysandre and cyrus. Lysandre and Cyrus think that people and pokemon SHOULD be killed. Lusamine just doesnt care.
Still though. For me, not caring how many people you kill is as bad as doing that on purpose.

Lusamine said:
There should be plenty of beautiful beasts appearing all around Alola as we speak! Look! On Akala and Poni... Even on Melemele Island!

If this is collateral damage, she sure sounds pleased by it.

Revisiting this because I couldn't think of anywhere better to dump some dumb observations.

Rose is:
  • A chairman
  • A man of steel
  • Builds cities and has a habit of naming infrastructure projects after himself
  • Associated with the colour red
  • Willing to pay a great price for a secure industrial base
1620153868034.png

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom