• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Chairman Rose

MegaGreninga

Reaction score
Why is he the main villain of the game? i didn't understand him at all
in Twilight is he really villain in that show or not?
in tv series we finally see him clapping for Leon

Why is he the main villain of the game? i didn't understand him at all
in Twilight is he really villain in that show or not?
in tv series we finally see him clapping for Leon

Well, Twilight Wings is essentially an extended prologue for the games themselves, so he's the "villain" in the sense that he's still going to go on to do what he does in the games, which could be qualified as villainous. The series itself hasn't really had overt villains, as it focuses instead on the characters' own psychological obstacles.

Within the games, I mean, I don't think anyone from Game Freak have come out and said anything explicitly, but I think Rose being the overarching villain is pretty clearly building on the new paradigm of conflict that Gen 7 introduced to the series, wherein the cliché capital-T "Team" function as a red herring of sorts, who actually turn out to have sympathetic motives due to their status as social underdogs and rejects, while the climactic villain turns out to be a character of wealth and power who presents themselves as generous and charitable, but underneath that exterior is driven by their own ego to carry out an obsessive, self-aggrandizing agenda. (Personally, I rather like this development; I'd've never thought Pokémon would turn out to be so anti-establishment... I mean, keeping in mind that it's a kid's series so obviously it's not going to shout "Eat the rich!" or anything, but I think its aesthetic choices still fall clearly in a similar vein of taking on a redeeming perspective of disaffected youths while being distrustful of billionaires. Lysandre is another sharp example of the latter, even though there was no Team Skull/Yell equivalent in that story.)

Rose specifically comes off to me as an Elon Musk-esque techbro messiah, the sort who commandeers the aesthetics of environmentalism to create an appealingly socially conscious image for the brand that's really the only thing they care about strengthening, while at the same time using their platform to broadcast their own personal pathologies. Rose, I think, is supposed to come off as out-of-touch, seeking to be the tireless savior whose singular vision saves the world from a problem that only he can perceive. The doomsday scenario he envisions for Galar shouldn't, in my opinion, be read as an allegory for climate change as it commonly is, but rather for something more abstract, like a runaway AI taking over the world. The Book of Revelation as interpreted by a technocrat convinced of their own sainthood. Something that they, the billionaire entrepreneur, are uniquely equipped to do something about, even though it has nothing to do with average person's immediate material struggles (a lot of which could be resolved by a more grounded and sensitive allocation of that billionaire's resources). And because of that myopic fixation and lack of awareness, the means that Rose employs to save the world actually cast it into great peril.

This is altogether a sensible choice for Pokémon's values, since it places such a heavy emphasis on cooperation and trying to understand one another. Harmony won't be achieved by one man living out his power fantasy, but through a commitment by all to make the world better by being sensitive toward each others' needs.

The anime is a different continuity that I don't watch, so, you know. But he'll probably go through a similar arc of "seemingly straightforward philanthropist who turns out to have extreme goals" there, too.

Although to be fair Rose is significantly more sympathetic than Lysandre. Lysandre was a rich guy convinced the problem was all those non-rich folk sucking up resources.
Rose was flawed and arguably tilting at a windmill considering how far off the energy crisis was, but he did have good intentions and was more careless than actively malicious. If he got a bit more screen time and the plot wasn't so rushed I think he'd be one of the series' better villains.

For the show; the groundworks for the Darkest Day are being set up. There will probably be some changes from the game--there pretty much always are--but I agree the basics will probably be mostly intact. Could be interesting seeing him interact with a non-blank state protagonist.

Power of what? Exactly to destroy or take over the galar region as a king

He may as well already be Galar's king, since he's richer than God and has a finger in almost every aspect of the region's commercial, social, and technological infrastructure.

Because of this, he is a highly celebrated individual in Galarian society. One NPC says that it's not an exaggeration to say that "he made the Galar region what it is today."

This is not healthy for the human ego. As a result of the investment that he has poured into Galar itself, he views himself as its shepherd. And he comes to believe (whether true or not) that in 1,000 years, Galar will have totally depleted its energy sources, leaving destitute the nation that he has claimed as his passion project. So to prevent that hypothetical crisis from the outset, he begins researching the energy behind Dynamaxing as a possible solution, and traces its origins back to Eternatus. In ancient times, Eternatus awoke and caused the Darkest Day, a massive energy storm that filled the Galar region with Dynamax power. Rose thinks that if he can controllably awaken Eternatus once more, the second Darkest Day will provide another boon of energy that will secure Galar's energy prospects. What's more is, it'll all be thanks to his wisdom and vision, which feeds into his savior complex. However, his compulsion to address problems at the soonest possible opportunity, as well as the fact that he overestimates his ability to control Eternatus, results in the situation spiraling out of hand and putting the entire region in danger.

Makes you wonder if Rose was born with such power (i.e a wealthy family) or does his mentality possibly spring from having been destitute himself in the past... :unsure:

I don't get the sense that he's a spoiled product of inherited wealth, if only because if you talk to Oleana in the post-game, she mentions that Rose used to work in the Galar Mine himself. If he were the heir of an empire, I don't think he'd be the type to get his hands dirty. He also competed in the Gym Challenge once upon a time, so that institution is actually older than him.

There is the detail of him seemingly being of South Asian descent, and while the UK does have a huge Indian population on its own, I think this at least opens up the possibility that he immigrated to Galar or comes from a family of immigrants, especially since his ace is a Copperajah which, according to the Pokédex, was brought to Galar from another region (most likely Poké-India).

Although to be fair Rose is significantly more sympathetic than Lysandre. Lysandre was a rich guy convinced the problem was all those non-rich folk sucking up resources.
Rose also appears throughout the game while Lysandre appears like one time to make you go "oh hey there's the villain" and then doesn't show up again until the climax. At least that's my recollection of his character, if there was anymore he clearly didn't leave much of an impression. I did know Rose was going to be the villain but it at least felt like it meant something.

Now I do wish they had spent a bit more time explaining why Rose did what he did... and a bit more than that explaining what he actually did. But they still handled him better than Lysandre so progress, I guess.

Rose also appears throughout the game while Lysandre appears like one time to make you go "oh hey there's the villain" and then doesn't show up again until the climax. At least that's my recollection of his character, if there was anymore he clearly didn't leave much of an impression. I did know Rose was going to be the villain but it at least felt like it meant something.
I think you meet him around 2 or 3 times before the obvious reveal, but yeah, he didn't leave much of an impression on me either.

I'm definitely of the view that Rose was mishandled... slightly, though I still like him. He frankly comes across as quite dim in the early stages of the game, with the reliance on Oleana and rocking his playboy dad-bod; that might have been a great set-up for the happy-go-lucky, eccentric billionaire to suddenly reveal his depth of feeling and sense of misplaced duty, but there's never much of a transition with him. In fact, Rose never seems to express much emotion at all - Twilight Wings does a much better job of making him appear more calculating, even if it's just through his quiet observation of other league trainers.

The other thing that bugged me: 1,000 years to run out of energy is an awfully long time, and his insistence on getting Eternatus now seems nonsensical. Perhaps make it ten years, to make the crisis feel more acute, but equally have Rose taking even more drastic measures; perhaps he needs to drain Eternatus, while the protagonist has to prove that it's willing to share its energy with Galar if captured and calmed?

There is the detail of him seemingly being of South Asian descent, and while the UK does have a huge Indian population on its own, I think this at least opens up the possibility that he immigrated to Galar or comes from a family of immigrants, especially since his ace is a Copperajah which, according to the Pokédex, was brought to Galar from another region (most likely Poké-India).

I also got a middle-eastern vibe; the Rose stadium reminded me strongly of the Emirates stadium in London. He's a weird hotch-potch of themes, given his apparently humble background yet sinister corporate dominance. I'm strongly hoping he's revisited in the DLC at some point.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are misreading Rose’s arrogance and vanity as stupidity, is high is understandable as it’s his arrogance and vanity that make him act stupidly.

He isn’t trying to solve the energy problem now when it won’t be an issue for a thousand years because he’s stupid, he’s doing it because he’s vain and wants people to celebrate him and remember him as the saviour of the region.

Acting on the day of the final adds to this - he loves being in front of the camera and knows this will be the time that he’ll have the biggest audience, especially if you consider that the final is between the Undefeated Champion and a rookie who has come from nowhere to sweep away all the competition against all odds, that kind of match would be something people would talk about for years.

His arrogance is why he acts even when Leon refuses to join him -Rose still believes Leon is strong enough to catch Eternatus so acts without his consent to try to force his hand. Don’t forget that if it wasn’t the bad luck of the broken Pokéball knocking Leon out he might have had another crack at catching Eternatus that might have succeeded.

I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the story in Sword and Shield but honestly I think it’s probably the best main line game story we’ve had so far. From an adult perspective a lot of it is predictable but I’d say less so than every other main game and I’d certainly think that a lot of kids would have been quite surprised by the “twist” of Rose being the villain.

I guess there's a disconnect between - for want of a better word - 'background' Rose and the Rose of the cutscenes. Rose names almost all his projects after himself and clearly loves appearing in front of the crowds... but there's nothing obviously vain I'd point to in his dialogue. In fact, I'd say he comes across as particularly polite and humble in his battle and subsequent interactions with the protagonist:

"You're pretty tough... Yes, entirely too tough. Don’t you think that's unfair?"

"Oh, oh? Down to my last Pokémon... Hmm, this isn't looking too good..."

"All right, then... Hopefully, this move will turn things around for me."

I wouldn’t expect any less from a challenger endorsed by the strongest Champion ever to grace our beloved Galar region!"

"I really do wish I could have seen the Championship Match between you two. And I’m terribly sorry to have ruined the whole Gym Challenge and everything!"

"Of course I won’t stop you. Head up via the lift, if you wish!"

This said, I'm glad Rose never really hammed it up. He comes across as a bit weirder, complex and thus human than most villains.

Last edited:
That’s the thing, the smartest vain people do a lot to appear as if they aren’t vain while setting other people up to talk about them. Hammy vain is more like egotistical, which would have made the trait more obvious but would have taken away from the “twist“ of him being the villain.

A good example of his vanity is the disguised scene in Hulbury. His disguise is crap, but it’s deliberately so because he wants people to recognise him and he’s very happy signing autographs until Olena has to basically drag him away.

Sorry, I thought it was Eternatus breaking out of the Pokéball and filled in the blanks of the broken ball hitting Leon (admittedly haven’t played through that bit in a while so recollection was a bit wobbly)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom