1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. Updated #2: The forums are going to be down Tomorrow (23rd of January) in the morning (JST) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

Challenge Playthroughs

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by CrashBash, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CrashBash

CrashBash Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure everyone, or nearly everyone, has their own main playthrough of a Pokemon game where they just play normally, but what about playthroughs with different challenges? I know there are the Nuzlockes and the various spin-offs, but how about other playthroughs, that limit the Pokemon or even the types you can use?

For funzies, we could suggest various challenge playthroughs and see if anyone has ever tried them. I'll throw up an example.

NAME: The Endemic Playthrough
    REGION: Alola (Kalos could work, but Alola is easier)
    GUIDELINES: A player must pick one of the four islands. Then, upon starting the game, you must only use Pokemon that are native to that island. For example, Toucannon can be used across all islands, but Raichu is only usable on a Melemele playthrough.
    For any playthrough that is not a Melemele playthrough, the starter can be used at first, but must be removed as soon as possible.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this, or have any of their own challenges?

2. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'm trying an "only one Pokémon" challenge passing through all gens and using all Pokémon and meaningful (for me) alternate formes eventually (I would do one for each Rotom, but not one for each Sawsbuck, for example).

Since I don't have LGPE, the games I'm using are Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Fire Red, Platinum, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Black/White, Black 2/White 2, X/Y, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I alternate between either version in the case it doesn't have a third version.

Right now, I'm using Beedrill in Omega Ruby and I'm finishing Routes 129 to 132 and beat the golems before fighting Wallace.

3. PinkIceFox

PinkIceFox PinkIceTales!

Blog Posts:
    When I do challenge runs they tend to only be Nuzlockes since they have a solid set of rules that are easy for me to remember. I'm not very good at coming up with my own ideas for challenge runs though.

4. Tactician Karina

Tactician Karina vampire

Blog Posts:
    The most I've ever done something similar was an all canine Pokémon run, simply cause I really like them. Otherwise I'm like PinkIceFox and not very good at coming up with more original challenges, especially since I don't really do much of them to begin with.

5. BigBadButterfree

BigBadButterfree the Destroyer

Blog Posts:
    I also enjoy doing nuzlocke, although I feel like it's become tedious in the newer generations.

I one time played through firered using only my Blastoise. That was... Interesting, to say the least.

The one thing I did make up was because I wanted to "nuzlocke" Colosseum and/or xd, but since the encounter mechanics in that game are different, I am definitely up a new challenge. Basically every time I encounter a shadow Pokemon, I would flip a coin. Heads, you can catch it. Tails, sorry. Out of luck. And those results carry through to second encounters of the same Pokemon. So like, if you miss Lovrinna's Delcatty in the lab, you can catch it later at Cerise Island. But if you got tails for something and encounter it again, you still can't catch it. I called it (quite creatively) the "Coinlocke."

PokeSpots are treated like regular nuzlockes, so you get 3 freebies from there basically.

Oh, death after fainting rule still applies.

6. Like_Fahrenheit

Like_Fahrenheit You are beautiful to me, exile

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking of doing a run in which my Pokemon only use three moves instead of four. the fourth move, whatever it is, would be off-limits or would be deleted. If they use a newly learned fourth move, then another one must deleted or stopped being used. I'm unsure if a Pokemon that only learns one or two moves would be allowed on my team.

7. PinkIceFox

PinkIceFox PinkIceTales!

Blog Posts:
    Oh man that actually gives me an idea for a challenge I could do. I have a bad habit of having only attacking moves on my pokemon. I could do a challenge where at least one of the 4 moves has to be a status move if possible.

8. CaptainBluescreen

CaptainBluescreen Member

Blog Posts:
    Besides all the locke-versions (I particularly enjoy wonderlockes), I really enjoy monotype runs. I played through Moon with a mono-dark team and X with a mono-grass team.

9. Fairy Type Arceus

Fairy Type Arceus Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Monotype run. I did each generation with 1 type except yellow because I started it out like a nuzlocke and gave up and just finsihed the game normally.

But heres what I did
    Crystal water
    Emerald grass
    Platnuim fire
    Black dragon
    X fighting
    Ultra moon fairy

I cheated a little and used giratina in platnuim and also gave myself fire types I wouldnt have access to normally like camerupt and chimchar with thunder punch. There was one particular fight in platnuim that was insane, on one route it started raining and There was a forced double battle. I lost and had to fight them separately.

10. Patrick Haines

Patrick Haines Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time

Blog Posts:
    I rarely do run playthroughs with more than 2-3 Pokémon, but I plan them out so they counter each others strengths and weaknesses pretty well. The Elite Fours can be challenging with limited teams (and I don't ever use Legendary Pokémon in my playthroughs), but the levels tend to be much higher since I am using limited Pokémon.

I also came up with a challenge I am going to try on either GSC or HGSS. Defeat the entire game with only Unown. Obviously, you can use your starter to get to the Ruins of Alph, but, once there, fill your team with six Unown and have fun. There stats suck, but Hidden Power has some versatility to it, so it might be possible. For some reason I have always liked Unown (I used Unown G on my original playthrough waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. I got him to Lv50 before realizing he woulnd't learn more moves. Oo to be 11 again.)

Takers?

11. nickdt

nickdt Active Member

Blog Posts:
    I once did a Six Region challenge in Kalos.

This meant that i could only use one pokemon from each region in my team and it could only be replaced by another Pokemon from the region (For example - Zigzagoon can only be replaced by Hoenn mons).

CaptainBluescreen likes this.
  12. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'll do it once I reach Johto in my hilariously long challenge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.