• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Change a Trainer's team

I'm going to also throw in there I'd like to specifically see them revise the team of those associated with Team Rocket to have them NOT all have Koffing. I mean my god, who thought it was a good idea to have 2 full multi level dungeons back to back full of 30+ trainers, and have pretty much ALL of them have teams consisting of multiple Koffing? The HQ and then the Radio Station in HG/SS is what I'm referring to, but certainly they're not alone in needing significantly more variety, they just nearly made me lose my mind with how many Koffing they kept throwing my way.

I'm going to also throw in there I'd like to specifically see them revise the team of those associated with Team Rocket to have them NOT all have Koffing. I mean my god, who thought it was a good idea to have 2 full multi level dungeons back to back full of 30+ trainers, and have pretty much ALL of them have teams consisting of multiple Koffing? The HQ and then the Radio Station in HG/SS is what I'm referring to, but certainly they're not alone in needing significantly more variety, they just nearly made me lose my mind with how many Koffing they kept throwing my way.
Don't forget the amount of Rattata and Zubat. Then again, lack of variety is something that detracts from all the teams except Cipher and Team Snagem.

EDIT: And the Aether Foundation.

IndigoLeague.jpg

I thought I'd give a remake of the Indigo league a shot.

The pokedex I'm using is the HGSS (i.e. Gen 2 pokemon can be found in Kanto too and cross gen evolutions included as well) and I wanted to make it as though Kanto and Johto exists as one big region. I didn't really feel the need to add any Gen 2 pokemon into the Kanto section though as I thought it works well that way (at least for the 16 gyms). The only problem would be when it comes to the Elite 4 where there's a lot more overlaps but I guess the original Elite 4 is an earlier iteration that is later superseded by the later Elite 4.

I mostly followed @Esserise's line up with some changes.
I think we can still come up with some workarounds.

Brock - Geodude, Onix
Misty - Psyduck, Starmie
Lt. Surge - Voltorb, Magnemite, Raichu
Erika - Victreebel, Tangela, Vileplume
Koga - Arbok Tentacruel, Muk, Weezing, Venomoth
Sabrina - Hypno, Mr. Mime, Exeggutor, Alakazam
Blaine - Magmar, Flareon, Rapidash, Arcanine
Giovanni - Sandslash, Dugtrio, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon

Lorelei - Dewgong, Cloyster, Slowbro, Jynx, Lapras
Bruno - Golem (as suggested by @Daren) or Poliwrath, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Primeape, Machamp
Agatha - Arbok, Golbat, Ninetales (as suggested elsewhere by @Silktree), Gengar, Gengar
Lance - Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Dragonair, Dragonair, Dragonite

Gen 1 fixed? More diversity with minimal overlap/repetition.

I mostly had a problem with Exeggcutor cause it feels like a very un-Sabrina like pokemon so I thought I'd give her Starmie instead. Accordingly, I gave Misty a Goldeen (I always liked Misty more in that dress anyways) and have Psyduck evolve into Golduck instead. Since I made some changes already, I thought I'd swap out Magnemite for Jolteon that way both Pikachu and Eevee can go up against a thunder stone evolution. I found Dugtrio a little too goofy for big bad boss so I swap it with Marowak too. For Bruno I thought I'd give him both Golem and Poliwrath for type diversity reasons since Primeape works better with Chuck. I wanted Dragonair to be Clair's pokemon so I also got rid of Lance's and gave him our king and overlord Charizard as any champion should have.

The original Johto league was really bad imo. So many of the gyms had only two pokemon and didn't feature much of the new pokemon. I think this works better? I know Whitney's big on Clefairy but based on her personality, I think Jigglypuff might work better, though Clefairy not being her type speciality anymore was a factor too. I don't think my team fits Morty but I don't really get his personality either and there ain't much choice anyways.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
View attachment 132561

I thought I'd give a remake of the Indigo league a shot.

The pokedex I'm using is the HGSS (i.e. Gen 2 pokemon can be found in Kanto too and cross gen evolutions included as well) and I wanted to make it as though Kanto and Johto exists as one big region. I didn't really feel the need to add any Gen 2 pokemon into the Kanto section though as I thought it works well that way (at least for the 16 gyms). The only problem would be when it comes to the Elite 4 where there's a lot more overlaps but I guess the original Elite 4 is an earlier iteration that is later superseded by the later Elite 4.

I mostly followed @Esserise's line up with some changes.

I mostly had a problem with Exeggcutor cause it feels like a very un-Sabrina like pokemon so I thought I'd give her Starmie instead. Accordingly, I gave Misty a Goldeen (I always liked Misty more in that dress anyways) and have Psyduck evolve into Golduck instead. Since I made some changes already, I thought I'd swap out Magnemite for Jolteon that way both Pikachu and Eevee can go up against a thunder stone evolution. I found Dugtrio a little too goofy for big bad boss so I swap it with Marowak too. For Bruno I thought I'd give him both Golem and Poliwrath for type diversity reasons since Primeape works better with Chuck. I wanted Dragonair to be Clair's pokemon so I also got rid of Lance's and gave him our king and overlord Charizard as any champion should have.

The original Johto league was really bad imo. So many of the gyms had only two pokemon and didn't feature much of the new pokemon. I think this works better? I know Whitney's big on Clefairy but based on her personality, I think Jigglypuff might work better, though Clefairy not being her type speciality anymore was a factor too. I don't think my team fits Morty but I don't really get his personality either and there ain't much choice anyways.

Thoughts?
The only things I would do is return Starmie to Misty and Machamp to Bruno.

I always thought it was pretty ridiculous that Morty did use a Misdreavus on his team when it was the one Ghost type in Johto. A more recent battle with him could have him using Cursola which would be cool.

As we saw a bit in Let’s Go, regional variants open up some of the trainers to gaining new options from their regions like A-Exeggutor being on Lance’s team. Would be cool to expand on that maybe with Lorelei gaining Mr. Rime, or Brycen using G-Darmanitan

I always thought it was pretty ridiculous that Morty did use a Misdreavus on his team when it was the one Ghost type in Johto. A more recent battle with him could have him using Cursola which would be cool.

As we saw a bit in Let’s Go, regional variants open up some of the trainers to gaining new options from their regions like A-Exeggutor being on Lance’s team. Would be cool to expand on that maybe with Lorelei gaining Mr. Rime, or Brycen using G-Darmanitan
Lorelei getting Mr. Rime would seem like a development gag, since I still feel Will is a redrawn Lorelei.

I have to agree with whoever said that Tate and Liza need more Pokemon on their team. I don't even care who it is, as long as it's a Psychic type. Doesn't have to be a native to Hoenn. I know the point of their gym battle was to show off the double battle gimmick, but they're not even the first double battle you can have in the game, so it just ended up being two kids with two very easy Pokemon. Just another pair of Pokemon would have been fine.

And I also think that villainous teams need way more diversity. I mean, Team Rocket, Team Galactic, and Team Plasma steal other people's Pokemon, and they have no reason to just have the weakest of the weak. What's wrong with some Oddish, Ponyta, Shelmet? They can still be common Pokemon! I mean, while Teams Magma and Aqua don't steal Pokemon, there are still plenty of Pokemon with high catch rates that even unskilled trainers could catch, even if we're just working with a few different types. (If they can have Koffing/Grimer, they can have any other Poison type, maybe some Bug types, in addition to Water/Dark/Water/Ground/Fire. Not to mention that just because Maxie and Archie have one "uniquely Magma/Aqua-themed" Pokemon doesn't mean the grunts have to follow.)

Finally, I have issues with the elemental monkeys; there are *way* too many in the Gen V games. Ideally, I'd say "Give them to Biana and Cheren twice (once as Pans, once as Simis) and then never, ever show them again," but that's not going to happen. Even just cutting the amount of battles with one or three of them in half, and I'll be good.

I just realized I never actually posted my ideas:

Falkner-
Pidgey Lv. 12
Noctowl Lv. 14

Bugsy-
Ledyba Lv. 16
Spinarak Lv. 16
Scyther Lv. 18

Whitney-
Snubbull Lv. 20
Clefairy Lv. 20
Miltank Lv. 22

Morty-
Haunter Lv. 25
Misdreavus Lv. 25
Gengar Lv. 27

Chuck-
Primeape Lv. 30
Poliwrath Lv. 30
Heracross Lv. 32

Jasmine-
Magneton Lv. 33
Skarmory Lv. 33
Steelix Lv. 35

Pryce-
Seel Lv. 34
Cloyster Lv. 35
Dewgong Lv. 35
Piloswine Lv. 37

Will-
Hypno Lv. 40
Jynx Lv. 41
Exeggutor Lv. 41
Slowking Lv. 41
Xatu Lv. 43

Karen-
Sneasel Lv. 49
Murkrow Lv. 50
Houndoom Lv. 50
Umbreon Lv. 50
Tyranitar Lv. 52

Sabrina-
Slowbro Lv 54
Mr. Mime Lv. 55
Hypno Lv. 55
Espeon Lv. 55
Alakazam Lv. 57

Erika (GSC)-
Tangela Lv. 57
Parasect Lv. 58
Jumpluff Lv. 58
Victreebel Lv. 58
Bellosom Lv. 60

Erika (HGSS)-
Parasect Lv. 57
Jumpluff Lv. 58
Victreebel Lv. 58
Tangrowth Lv. 58
Bellosom Lv. 60

Janine-
Beedrill Lv. 63
Weezing Lv. 64
Ariados Lv. 64
Crobat Lv. 64
Venomoth Lv. 66

Blaine (GSC)-
Magmar Lv. 69
Magcargo Lv. 70
Rapidash Lv. 70
Arcanine Lv. 70
Ninetales Lv. 72

Blaine (HGSS)-
Magcargo Lv. 69
Rapidash Lv. 70
Arcanine Lv. 70
Magmortar Lv. 70
Ninetales Lv. 72

Gardenia (Platinum)-
Tangela Lv. 20
Cherrim Lv. 20
Roserade Lv. 22

Burgh-
Yanma Lv. 22
Dwebble Lv. 22
Leavanny Lv. 24

Skyla-
Unfezant Lv. 36
Swoobat Lv. 37
Skarmory Lv. 37
Swanna Lv. 39

Skyla (Challenge Mode)-
Unfezant Lv. 39
Swoobat Lv. 40
Skarmory Lv. 40
Braviary Lv. 40
Swanna Lv. 42

Drayden-
Druddigon Lv. 45
Zweilous Lv. 46
Altaria Lv. 46
Haxorus Lv. 48

Drayden (Challenge Mode)-
Druddigon Lv. 49
Zweilous Lv. 50
Altaria Lv. 50
Flygon Lv. 50
Haxorus Lv. 52

Marlon-
Floatzel Lv. 48
Carracosta Lv. 49
Mantine Lv. 49
Waillord Lv. 49
Jellicent Lv. 51

Marlon (Challenge Mode)-
Floatzel Lv. 51
Carracosta Lv. 52
Mantine Lv. 52
Waillord Lv. 52
Lapras Lv. 53
Jellicent Lv. 55

Shauntal-
Banette Lv. 55
Cofagrigus Lv. 56
Jellicent Lv. 56
Golurk Lv. 56
Chandelure Lv. 58

Shauntal (Challenge Mode)-
Banette Lv. 58
Cofagrigus Lv. 59
Jellicent Lv. 59
Golurk Lv. 59
Drifblim Lv. 60
Chandelure Lv. 62

Grimsley (BW2)-
Liepard Lv. 55
Absol Lv. 56
Scrafty Lv. 56
Krookodile Lv. 56
Bisharp Lv. 58

Grimsley (Challenge Mode)-
Liepard Lv. 58
Absol Lv. 59
Scrafty Lv. 59
Weavile Lv. 59
Krookodile Lv. 60
Bisharp Lv. 62

Caitlin (BW2)-
Musharna Lv. 55
Claydol Lv. 56
Reuniclus Lv. 56
Sigilyph Lv. 56
Gothitelle Lv. 58

Caitlin (Challenge Mode)-
Musharna Lv. 58
Claydol Lv. 59
Reuniclus Lv. 59
Sigilyph Lv. 59
Metagross Lv. 60
Gothitelle Lv. 62

Marshal (BW2)-
Heracross Lv. 55
Throh Lv. 56
Sawk Lv. 56
Mienshao Lv. 56
Conkeldurr Lv. 58

Marshal (Challenge Mode)-
Heracross Lv. 58
Throh Lv. 59
Sawk Lv. 59
Mienshao Lv. 59
Lucario Lv. 60
Conkeldurr Lv. 62

Clemont-
Emolga Lv. 40
Lanturn Lv. 41
Magneton Lv. 41
Heliolisk Lv. 43

Valerie-
Granbull Lv. 44
Mawile Lv. 45
Mr. Mime Lv. 45
Sylveon Lv. 47

Olympia-
Sigilyph Lv. 49
Starmie Lv. 50
Slowking Lv. 50
Meowstic Lv. 52

Wulfric-
Abomasnow Lv. 56
Beartic Lv. 57
Cryogonal Lv. 57
Mamoswine Lv. 57
Avalugg Lv. 59

Malva-
Pyroar Lv. 62
Torkoal Lv. 63
Houndoom Lv. 63
Chandelure Lv. 63
Talonflame Lv. 65

Wikstrom-
Klefki Lv. 62
Probopass Lv. 63
Bisharp Lv. 63
Scizor Lv. 63
Aegislash Lv. 65

Drasna-
Druddigon Lv. 62
Altaria Lv. 63
Kingdra Lv. 63
Dragalge Lv. 63
Noivern Lv. 65

Siebold-
Gyarados Lv. 62
Crawdaunt Lv. 63
Barbaracle Lv. 63
Lapras Lv. 63
Clawitzer Lv. 65

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom