• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Change in mechanics/ formula calculations?

lavandula

Reaction score
I noticed that in Pokemon GO, type effectiveness is no longer x2, but x1.25
That makes previously x4 effectiveness becomes only x1.56 damage.

Is it possible, that due to the introduction of Super Moves, the calculations for type effectiveness is changed?

A similar change was observed in Gen 6, where critical hits are changed from x2 damage to x1.5 damage.

If so, how would you think this changes the metagame?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think if it were true, it can be a good touch. Otherwise, why bother using a Super Move when your opponent can be easily KO'ed?

However, it might make the game really stall-ish.
Also, a type effectiveness of only x1.25 hardly makes any difference. So it's basically like dumbing down the game. It means that type effectiveness isn't as important as before anymore.

I do hope they keep immunities though.

I really doubt it. Types are a core aspect of the games and the Rock/Paper/Scissor matchups are very important. This would make the types almost redundant and everything could be just Normal. I would be very surprised if they do that.

Pokemon Go also only has 2 moves per Pokemon and they use them randomly. I wouldn't read into most of its mechanics being put into the main series. Except maybe Evolution Candies - I could actually see that being incorporated possibly.

I think the obly change to mechanjxs will be the reintroduction of the EXP Scaling from gen 5. Beyond that nothing needs to really be changed.

I noticed that in Pokemon GO, type effectiveness is no longer x2, but x1.25
That makes previously x4 effectiveness becomes only x1.56 damage.

Is it possible, that due to the introduction of Super Moves, the calculations for type effectiveness is changed?
Considering the simplistic game mechanics in GO and the button-mashing nature, I doubt its at all reflective of the main games. I mean, its weird that Niantic taking liberties on type effectiveness should be indicative of SM mechanics, yet the fact that its entire battle system is different isn't being taken into account.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom